Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BR Aggro goodstuffs!

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
lucksick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: BR Aggro goodstuffs! Reply with quote

Wellp, since February is nearing, and the country I live in (city specifically) makes it hard to complete decks, I'm not so sure I'll be able to build this IRL, much less be able to do something with it ever.

So I'll stop being a tad greedy and share this wacky build with you guys (and receive input in the process)

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [MBS] Inkmoth Nexus
6 [M12] Swamp (2)
6 [M12] Mountain (3)
4 [SOM] Blackcleave Cliffs
4 [M12] Dragonskull Summit

// Creatures
2 [SOM] Vector Asp
1 [ISD] Typhoid Rats
4 [SOM] Spikeshot Elder
2 [M12] Reassembling Skeleton
4 [M12] Stormblood Berserker
3 [SOM] Necrotic Ooze
2 [ISD] Olivia Voldaren
1 [SOM] Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon
2 [NPH] Moltensteel Dragon
1 [M12] Inferno Titan
2 [MBS] Phyrexian Crusader
1 [NPH] Hex Parasite

// Spells
2 [M12] Doom Blade
1 [MBS] Go for the Throat
3 [MBS] Sword of Feast and Famine
1 [ISD] Sever the Bloodline
2 [ISD] Liliana of the Veil
2 [ISD] Brimstone Volley

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [ISD] Typhoid Rats
SB: 1 [MBS] Phyrexian Crusader
SB: 1 [ISD] Sever the Bloodline
SB: 1 [ISD] Liliana of the Veil
SB: 2 [NPH] Spellskite
SB: 2 [SOM] Ratchet Bomb
SB: 1 [NPH] Surgical Extraction
SB: 2 [ISD] Geistflame
SB: 1 [M12] Manic Vandal
SB: 1 [SOM] Nihil Spellbomb
SB: 1 [FBP] Memoricide
SB: 1 [ISD] Ancient Grudge

Basically you just play small dudes and start causing early trouble/damage. When t4 comes about you start laying bombs in the shape of Olivia/Dragon/Swording stuff.

Rarely, you'll be able to drop Necrotic Ooze t4 to cause much struggle. Regardless, when Ooze comes in late game, he becomes god and starts spanking shit left and right!

Misers in there mostly to answer specific situations and contribute to the Oozage.

Card-by-card run-through:

---------------Mainboard---------------

Inkmoth Nexus: obvious sword is obvious.

[bVector Asp:[/b] I normally argue about decks that deal normal/infect damage. But as this deck works out, this little guy comes to do wonders when equipped as well as giving Necrotic Ooze an awesome attribute.

Typhoid Rats: I've argued that this guy makes the cut as a t1 drop, a predicament when equipped, but honestly just play him as an answer to Hexproof, (I'm looking at you Geist/Dungrove) However, I've been wanting to SB both copies of him more each time.

Spikeshot Elder: The heart and soul of the deck. Seriously. This guy + Ooze = fun times. This guy + Sword = MADNESS!

Hex Parasite: Miser answer to planeswalkers/shrines, repeatable via Ooze, serves the 1-drop requisite for Stromblood

Reassembling Skeleton: CAW.... CAW!

Stormblood Berserker: Early-game pressure + evasion for sword.

Doom Blade & Go for the Throat: My removal shuffle of choice.

Brimstone Volley: Removal + Beef to face + deal with walkers. Yum!

Liliana of the Veil: Removal to answer hexproof + synergic discard for Ooze +... yeah, just something the opponent has to deal with in general. Is nice late-game when you're playing topdecks. (if you end up there!)

Sword of Feast and Famine: The other piece of the puzzle for this deck. 'nuff said.

Phyrexian Crusader: (no doomblade, no obv ring, no burn) Headache for control, some wolf-run ramps, rdw, white-base decks. Good poisoning potential due to evasion - making it a swordable target. He's great since Dismember has been seeing less play lately.

Olivia Voldaren: Card of the moment, kinda pointless to talk about her. *note - 2 copies because Necrotic Ooze becomes Olivias 3-5*

Moltensteel Dragon: That feel when Necrotic Ooze + phyrexian pump + spikeshot to face AND/OR asp infect.

Necrotic Ooze: You've probably heard enough of this guy by this point, lol.

Sever the Bloodline: I'd expect this to become a staple to black decks soon. It does all you want it to do: eats solemn/wurmcoil grave abilities. Sweeps tokens. Kills phantasmal image + sun titan combo. Also RFG's targets that might (somehow) recur.

Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon: SURPRISE!

Inferno Titan: You just can't go wrong with these 6cc goofs!

---------------Sideboard---------------

Spellskite: I like Necrotic Ooze. And Swords. And Kessig Wolf-run.

Ratchet Bomb: Tokens mostly. Of course.

Surgical Extraction: Grave-hate

Nihil Spellbomb: Grave-hate + card draw

Memoricide: Grave/Card-hate. Playing a shuffle opens you to a world of posibilities. I remember this awesome play where I cast Memoricide, opponent tries to flashback a counterspell. I play extraction to it in response, peek at hand, and eat it with memoricide - picking from what I've seen, of course!

Ancient Grudge: Instant artifact removal. A must!

Manic Vandal: My only argument was playing it against Red Shrines and Temp steel. But honestly, he sucks against steel, and you don't see much RDW nowadays... will probably swap for another instant removal or Into the core.

Geistflame: Couple copies are nice against specific decks. Mostly to burn dem opponent's inkmoth!

Inb4 Necrotic Ooze is no longer worth a lousy $0.99!
*cough, cough* I mean, let me hear your suggestions~

---------------final notes---------------

Grim Lavamancer: guy's nice lategame when you can kill copies of your creatures that won't hurt Ooze, or when you've played enough non-creature spells. But he doesn't shine as a 1-drop. (and his activated is near worthless for Ooze)

Phyrexian Obliterator: Hard on the mana, 4cc is already heavy enough. Possible sb choice to replace for Ooze in g2 (due to imminent grave-hate. Although a 4/3 body for 4 isn't bad)

Manor Skeleton: Was a nice surprise when swords were out, as well as a nice way to give regen to Ooze earlier on (than Skithiryx), but all-round underwhelming.

Phyrexian Rager: Dunno. Played him earlier on. 2-for-1's are always nice. Helps you dig into getting Swords/Puzzle Pieces. I just feel he's a mediocre card. Not bad at all though - so feel free to sleeve some up if you feel like it~[/i]

Last edited by lucksick on Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Jacois

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not_I wrote:

And lastly, i would like to shine the spotlight on an underused allstar for any deck with black mana. Nihil spellbomb. In this environment she is useful well over half the time, and even when not... she is still an extra card for 1 spare mana when you get the chance. I cannot count the number of times this lil baby has saved the game for me. She eliminates sleeping threats, increases reliability through card draw, can aid metal craft, and can be returned with a buried ruin late game. 4 main deck in every black deck iv made lately. And until the snapcaster phases out of type 2, its going to remain that important.

I concur.
lucksick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not_I wrote:
You're forgetting the 2 best fatties for ooze:
+1 steel hellkite
+1 geth, lord of the vault

Moltensteel dragon seems like a poor choice when you could add another ooze or olivia.

My analysis of this deck leads me to a very obvious issue with your land. You have multiple ways of using up vast amounts of mana but only run 24 land, i often dont draw into a 4th land when i run 26 land in my olivia decks...even with a sword(which cannot be counted on connecting) i think your just not going to consistently get the mana you need in the early to mid game.

And lastly, i would like to shine the spotlight on an underused allstar for any deck with black mana. Nihil spellbomb. In this environment she is useful well over half the time, and even when not... she is still an extra card for 1 spare mana when you get the chance. I cannot count the number of times this lil baby has saved the game for me. She eliminates sleeping threats, increases reliability through card draw, can aid metal craft, and can be returned with a buried ruin late game. 4 main deck in every black deck iv made lately. And until the snapcaster phases out of type 2, its going to remain that important.

Thanks for the reply!
I play 24 lands as my curve stops at 4 (leaving out 1x titan and 1xskithiryx)

25 is plausible, but 26 is far too many for an aggro deck like this one. You might not draw into the lands you need in your Olivia deck, but hell, that's part of magic. It'll happen regardless of how many lands you play I'm afraid.

Through numerous tests, I felt this land count worked best with what I wanted out of this deck, the right mix of spells and lands. Since I have no draw engine at all, flooding would be common with a higher land count.

Steel hellkite is a little out of this deck's reach mana-wise. It's a nice ability, but I'm not playing control. I don't think I'd ever find myself in the position of having a Steel Hellkite in the GY, and swinging with Necrotic Ooze (We're talking turn 8+ here!)

Geth not only is out of the curve, but a slightly weak card I feel. His activated ability simply feels like 'win more.' I aimed to go for consistency as well as early-game pressure.

Moltensteel Dragon, on the other hand is a prime option! He's a 4/4 flyer for 4. That's nasty enough by itself! He can dish out tons of damage by himself, and provides huge synergy with Necrotic Ooze (via spikeshot elder/vector asp) as I explained earlier. If anything, I'd consider playing a 3rd copy, were my 4-drop slots not cluttered enough already.

Necrotic Oozes are part of the core of the deck, yes. But I play 3 of them to make sure they have a greater impact late-game rather than playing him as a 4/3 body for 4 with no other ability. To put it in other words - I'd rather have a hand with an Ooze and some other 4-drop, than a hand with 2 oozes and no relevant abilities from grave.

Nihil Spellbomb is amazing. And is already in my SB list, not sure if you missed it. I only play one, however, since it isn't as versatile as Surgical Extraction. Playing a second copy over Memoricide is considerable, but I feel that singleton helps me deal with threats in the form of dungrove elder, gideon, or titans.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1