Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ban Punishing Fire?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern
EMA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Ban Punishing Fire? Reply with quote

More than one guy I played on mws this week told me that punishing fire is going to be banned in modern in the next Dec 20th banned/restricted announcement, however I couldn't find any reliable info on this on the internet...
Is it just a speculation or do we have any solid argument/source?

Edit. Mods plz move if it's the wrong section, sry
darkwizard42
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely speculation of the stupidest regard...

What about this format is so unhealthy that it would lead to the banning of that card? Graveyard hate is still available, and Surgical Extraction is a viable option for any deck that is useful not just as a silver bullet for...

Cards are banned for being overpowering in a format, or distinctly shaping the format around the said card. Punishing Fire doesn't fit either category...
sc4rs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of cards that would be banned ahead of Punishing Fire in my opinion, though Modern seems to be a pretty healthy environment right now. I'd be very surprised if there are any bannings in Modern in the near future.
P_P4E

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it gets banned im out 70 bucks. I just bought 8 of them.
Ludz
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Punishing Fire may get the axe. It feels so unfair to play against, and Wizard have been happy with the banhammer in modern so far.

I do not think it should be banned though, I rather have some control cards unbanned for a healthier format.
styx^

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or just ban grove? Very Happy
warwizard87

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont see it happening, there are a ton of ways to deal with it that anydeck can play lets just name a few hosers. tormods crypt, relic of progenisis, surgecal extraction, extrapate, ghost quarter, runed halo, nevermore, extrapate....this can go on a bit. its easy to deal with just get creative.
Kookie_Mnstr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P_P4E wrote:

errrrr...you payed 70 bucks for 8 punishing fires??? it's a 50 cent card.......
Noremac
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kookie_Mnstr wrote:
P_P4E wrote:

errrrr...you payed 70 bucks for 8 punishing fires??? it's a 50 cent card.......

Seriously, 8 foils wouldn't even cost that much.
EMA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was probabily referring to Grove of the Burnwillows... otherwise he has some sick trading skills XD
undertow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P_P4E wrote:

i got 16 for 140 Very Happy
pugz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure you did, what are u a card dealer? lol
warwizard87

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoomBr1nger wrote:
Extirpate can't deal with P.Fire if they have the Grove untapped, it's not really as simple as people put it.

The card is extremely resilient and unlike other normal graveyard-based CA engines that run at sorcery speed, this one needs you to catch the opponent tapped out, plus it's removal AND a slow lategame win-con.

you obv DO NOT use it while a grove is untapped. thats just silly. Most players pretty much tap out to use it, you just respond to the fires trigger then you extrapate it. its not difficult. If they are not using grove to bring it back then its not a a issue anyway.
warwizard87

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not neccesarly, they can't use the fire/grove trick with the usual effectiveness because you are representing the extrapate, and if your packing surgical extraction you can nail it at any moment. it definitely isnt any wear near dominate or annoying enough to ban. i would actually be disappointed in wizards if they banned one or the other.

Its kind of like saying tarmogoyf sees alot of play and forces people to play around him, and he is so easy to splash. lets ban him....
warwizard87

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i do play aggro, no it hasnt been a real issue. i been having far more trouble with past in flames combo then punishing fire. I simply do not feel it is a combo that in any way is dominate enough for a ban hammer. there are many ways to deal with it that are splash damage to other matchups. and yes goyf is a fine example of a card that is dominate and warps a format.

"But you can be sure that if they don't ban it, I'm gonna abuse the shit out of it with Lilianas and other nasty crap that can have it serve as fodder for discard, like Smallpox or dunno, Skeins."

please do, if you can break it and make it undealable, im surprised no one else has completely broken the card if it was that easy to break. My point is, deal with the combo, make it irrelevent to your game plan, get creative in sideboarding. I have seen it dominate games on occasion, but more often then not its just part of the game and a neat trick that sometimes catches someone with out a answer to it.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3