Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UB Heartless beatdown

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: UB Heartless beatdown Reply with quote

For quite some time people have been trying to find a way to make an effective heartless summoning deck. However the most common issue with trying to build a deck around one particular card is that the cards that people use to take advantage of your build around card are rather lackluster without said card.

This is especially true with heartless summoning. Heartless summoning is designed to take advantage of higher cost creatures allowing you to play them early. However if you do not draw heartless, or if it gets countered then you are stuck with an excruciatingly slow hand that more then likely wont be able to deal with your opponents board.

My solution to this decks dependency issues is to add sphere of the suns for ramping allowing you to still drop your large threats early and consistently. Also I chose blue as my second color for access to treasure mage, consecrated sphinx, and metamorph.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
6 [ISD] Swamp (3)
5 [M12] Island (4)
3 [ISD] Ghost Quarter
4 [SOM] Darkslick Shores
4 [M12] Drowned Catacomb
2 [NPH] Phyrexia's Core

// Creatures
2 [M12] Rune-Scarred Demon
3 [NPH] Phyrexian Metamorph
1 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine
3 [MBS] Consecrated Sphinx
3 [MBS] Treasure Mage
4 [M12] Solemn Simulacrum
1 [NPH] Sheoldred, Whispering One
1 [SOM] Steel Hellkite
2 [SOM] Skinrender
2 [NPH] Entomber Exarch

// Spells
4 [ISD] Altar's Reap
4 [ISD] Heartless Summoning
4 [MBS] Sphere of the Suns
1 [ISD] Curse of Death's Hold
1 [MBS] Spine of Ish Sah

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [M12] Rune-Scarred Demon
SB: 2 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine
SB: 1 [MBS] Consecrated Sphinx
SB: 1 [NPH] Entomber Exarch
SB: 2 [ISD] Curse of Death's Hold
SB: 2 [SOM] Mimic Vat
SB: 3 [NPH] Surgical Extraction
SB: 3 [NPH] Spellskite

Deck Breakdown:

rune-scarred demon: makes sure you always have the card you need to close out a game or stop your opponent. He is also a large flyer which is a threat to control decks and a speedbump for aggro decks

phyrexian metamorph: metamorph is a fantastic card, without heartless it costs 3 and 2 life, with heartless its unbelievably effective at it's cost. Also on an important note it kills legends. In this deck he basically copies all the powerhouse creatures in this deck, or the spine for cheep permanent destruction

wurmcoil engine: I'm pretty sure everyone knows how powerful wurmcoil is but in the sake of completeness, basically he is an effective way to finish off aggro decks by getting you out of lethal range. He is also very difficult to stop, even if he is destroyed he leaves behind two blockers one with lifelink. One stratagy that I have never had to use yet is to attack with him for the 6 damage, then if your opponent tries to counter attack to finish you off, you can use alter reap to get your two wurms, stopping their attack, destroying one of their creatures, and gaining another 3 life.

consecrated sphinx: in my opinion this is the second best 6 drop in the format (next to wurmcoil). You gain soooo much CA from this one card and in this deck, that card advantage translates to awesome threats like wurmcoil, sheoldred, runescared, or another sphinx.

treasure mage: treasure mage is the second reason to play blue. He is Very cheep with heartless and allows you to play single copies of wurmcoil and steel helkite, also giving you room for spine.

solemn simulicrun: helps with the consistency of the mana and generates card advantage. He makes it more likely that you drop your six drops on turm 4 even without heartless, also makes a great sacrifice outlet to alter reap.

sheoldred: very good against control decks, or decks that rely on relatively few large threats. If you find yourself in a battle of haymakers, sheoldred really turns the tables in your favor.

steel helkite: steel helkite is tutorable with treasure mage and is very effective against token based strategies. he is also generates a great deal of card advantage every time he connects. The evasion is also very helpful.

skinrender: works like gatekeeper did in zendikar except it costs less now and can target any creature you want. It is also a great card to help you slow down aggro.

entomber exarch: entomber is quite versital against control, either A) serving as a duress with legs, or B) acting as a cheep gravedigger getting back one of your more serious threats.

Alter's reap: in the early game you will more then likely be chumping some of your creatures, this card not only lets you chump profitably, but also ensures that you have gas you need to stay in the game, or put your opponent out of it.

heartless summoning: the engine of the deck. you never want more then one in play at a time though so discard your extra copies if you do not fear your opponent having enchantment removal. It is very powerful once it is in play, however with the way the deck is designed, it is not crippling if you do not ever get it.

sphere of the suns: increases the consistency of the deck by a great deal. This card allows you to play your turn 4 6 drop without having to first draw heartless and usually by the time you run out of counters on sphere you usually have stabilized on lands.

spine of ish sah: tutorable with treasure mage, good general removal even though it is a little expensive. Makes a VERY nice copy target for metamorph, and it is reusable removal with phyrexia's core.

I don't have time to discuss the side board right now, but it's basically meant to tune the deck, I did not spend enough time on the sb yet since my math GRE subject test is coming up this weekend. anyways give me your thoughts and impressions. I hope that this list helps give heartless the chance it needs to shine. Let's discuss and share builds.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawk616 wrote:
need some black suns or somthing for creature removal

if you need removal you either treasure mage for spine, use skinrender, sheoldred, or steel helkite.

the main way you remove creature threats though is by forcing your opponent to chump your bigger threats.
judas_bcn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singleton gin-gitaxias? at two heartbeat copies it cost 6 and is an almost automatic game over
jetstrike

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that you should consider deceiver exarch for your list. The exarch vanilla is an ok combat trick and lets you hold back a bit without losing much. However combined with grand architect it actually produces more mana than it costs. By tapping it for 2 using its ability to untap itself and tap it again for a net gain of 1 mana. However this interaction become far more powerful when combined with heartless summoning generating 3 mana more than the cost.

Woops wrong deck thread....
schowilson

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! A thread on Heartless Summoning! I'll post my list later. (FNM went 3-2 and Saturday went 3-0-1(ID))
schowilson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my deck.

4x Drowned Catacombs
4x Darkslick Shores
3x Buried Ruin
2x Nephalia Drownyard
8x Islands
5x Swamps

26 lands

4x Solemn Simulacrum
3x Phyrexian Metamorph
4x Rune-Scarred Demon
2x Frost Titan
1x Wurmcoil Engine
1x Consecrated Sphinx
2x Sphinx of Uthunn
2x Sheoldred, Whispering One

19 Creatures

4x Heartless Summoning
4x Ponder
4x Mana Leak
1x Doom Blade
1x Go for the Throat
1x Dismember

15 Spells

Sideboard:
1x Doom Blade
1x Go for the Throat
1x Dismember
2x Black Sun's Zenith
3x Flashfreeze
1x Sever the Bloodline
3x Nihil Spellbomb
2x Wurmcoil Engine
1x Massacre Wurm
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1