Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BWG Pox tuned

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: BWG Pox tuned Reply with quote

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
3 [ISD] Isolated Chapel
4 [ISD] Woodland Cemetery
5 [ISD] Swamp (3)
2 [NPH] Plains (1)
4 [SOM] Forest (3)
3 [SOM] Razorverge Thicket
2 [M12] Sunpetal Grove
2 [ISD] Ghost Quarter

// Creatures
3 [M12] Sun Titan
1 [SOM] Sylvok Replica
1 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine
3 [MBS] Glissa, the Traitor
1 [NPH] Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
3 [MBS] Viridian Emissary
1 [M12] Grave Titan

// Spells
4 [ISD] Liliana of the Veil
4 [M12] Smallpox
2 [SOM] Ratchet Bomb
4 [ISD] Unburial Rites
2 [M12] Doom Blade
1 [SOM] Nihil Spellbomb
1 [MBS] Go for the Throat
4 [ISD] Mulch

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [SOM] Sylvok Replica
SB: 1 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine
SB: 1 [MBS] Viridian Emissary
SB: 2 [SOM] Ratchet Bomb
SB: 2 [SOM] Nihil Spellbomb
SB: 2 [NPH] Spellskite
SB: 3 [SOM] Mimic Vat
SB: 2 [M12] Day of Judgment

after much tuning, here is my current list. As is it has a great mu against a large amount of the decks in the format, most importantly, barring incredible amounts of bad luck both uw and ug tokens are buys, the combo of ratchet bomb's sun titans, and glissa make's the match unwinable for them. You have a deckent match against solar flare but nihil spellbombs out of the board gives you an enormous edge. It cuts off their CA though the grave while drawing you cards like a jace beleren. For wolfs run varients, liliana and smallpox get around hexproof creatures, sylvok replicas hit the robots versions pretty hard, and against both glissa is an allstar, since it stops the hexproof creatures and recurs sylvok replic's to stop the deadly inkmoth swing, post board you also bring in spellskites to shut down their wolf's runs and redirect fire off of your titans or glissa. For other aggro mu's, smallpox is great since it decimates their tempo, especially if you are on the play. One RDW player that I played against told me that every time I played a small pox he felt like he was getting 10 for 1ed. As for tempered steel, viridian replica is obvious, but you also side in mimic vats so that you have more odds of recurring your replicas.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not_I wrote:
I made a very similar deck, it falls to any kind of speed and it falls to any removal with graveyard extraction. Remember that smallpox slows you down. the 4 or 5 mana needed for an unburial is going to come late. With only glissa and emissarys creatures at a lower cost than that, your planeswalker has no protection and will get crushed.
Your 3 color mana base is gonna devistate your consistency. You cannot rely on 3 emissarys in the deck to get the color you need. Small pox destroying your own land just compounds this problem. Also while on the issue of land, your 2 ghost quarters will hurt you even more than they will help.
Even with a lucky hand, its still at least turn 4 before you can pull your bombs out, remember that many decks will make you dead within 4-5 turns. glissa is a GREAT turn 3 creature, but you cannot rely on luck of the draw for the correct mana, treat her as a 5 mana creature for the purpose of mana curve in a 3 color deck.
As for your bombs, Elesh is the mother of all bombs in standard. 4 copies.
Overall, i suggest dropping small pox all together, its what i did with my deck. It is a weak card, with only mild synergy with graveyard recursion.Even if you snag one of their creatures without losing one of yours, your still not netting card advantage, and your only hitting their weakest creature. A dead card late game.
Instead i would suggest mana accel so you can actually play those bombs mid game, even without the help of lilliana.
Also might i suggest a straight up board sweep with day of judgement x3?
Quicksilver amulet, rune-scarred demon, and true conviction(if you go mana accel) all are worthy of taking a look at.

First lets talk about the mana base, I have been very careful with my numbers on the lands, and this isn't exactly a 3 color deck, this is more of a GB pox deck with a little more then a splash for unburial rites, sun titan and elesh norn, as such I run a light amount of white mana, and most of it comes from dual lands. Since I need green early I run more razorverges then sunpetals, and they help out with my consistency a lot. Green mana is very important to have early on since you want to cast mulch to load your grave & get more lands, or you want to cast emissary to slow down aggro, or you want to cast glissa which costs 2 green. After that black is the next most important, but by playing a mulch or an emissary, your usually going to have your 2nd black mana by your 3rd turn if you want to cast lilliana. Also ghost quarters has not been a problem on my mana at all, sometimes in the rare occasion that I'm missing my second of a particular color I will use them to fix my mana, and get the lands back later with a sun titan.
Black:12 sources
Green: 13 sources
White: 10 sources

With regards to pox slowing you down, you are right, it does slow you down, but not by much, and you can take advantage of it with sun titan, glissa and unburial rites. As for your aggro opponent on the other hand, a lot of them plan on keeping 1-2 land hands and have planed out exactly what they are going to play for the next 3 turns, with one of the first two turns usually involving a creature. However if you drop a pox, you completely annihilate that plan and they find themself without a clock and trying to top deck a land in an aggro deck while you take your time to recover and drop a much larger threat (also note that small pox nets the same card disadvantage to both players if you dont have a creature, or if you have an emissary.

as far as elesh norn is conserned, yep, definitly the most powerful bomb against the rest of the field, however considering that it's legendary, it's really bad to draw in multiples, I will probably include a second copy of it though in the sideboard to increase my chances of drawing it, but not drawing multiples.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for reference here is my current list, I dont think I changed the main deck at all, but the sb got some tweeks.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
3 [ISD] Isolated Chapel
2 [M12] Plains (4)
4 [ISD] Woodland Cemetery
3 [SOM] Razorverge Thicket
2 [M12] Sunpetal Grove
2 [ISD] Ghost Quarter
5 [ISD] Swamp (3)
4 [M12] Forest (4)

// Creatures
1 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine
1 [SOM] Sylvok Replica
3 [MBS] Viridian Emissary
3 [M12] Sun Titan
3 [MBS] Glissa, the Traitor
1 [NPH] Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
1 [M12] Grave Titan

// Spells
4 [ISD] Unburial Rites
2 [M12] Doom Blade
1 [MBS] Go for the Throat
4 [ISD] Mulch
4 [M12] Smallpox
2 [SOM] Ratchet Bomb
1 [SOM] Nihil Spellbomb
4 [ISD] Liliana of the Veil

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine
SB: 2 [SOM] Sylvok Replica
SB: 1 [NPH] Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
SB: 2 [SOM] Ratchet Bomb
SB: 2 [SOM] Nihil Spellbomb
SB: 3 [NPH] Spellskite
SB: 3 [SOM] Mimic Vat
SB: 1 [ISD] Kessig Cagebreakers

Cagebreakers is a test slot against control, although I think it might be better as a GFTT
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1