Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GUB Frights

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Listenboi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: GUB Frights Reply with quote

Hi guys
I been trying this deck for casual and its fun enough, the idea is automilling to pump creatures like boneyard wurm or splinterfrigth, as aditional win conditions the deck has skaab ruinators, and a lab maniac, i think the sb can be improved as well as the mana base, i was thinking on focusing the sb to switch from automill to mill vs control decks but i dont know if that could be a good idea :/, what do you think guys.

// Lands
4 [ISD] Woodland Cemetery
1 [M10] Swamp (3)
5 [ISD] Island (1)
6 [ISD] Forest (3)
4 [M12] Drowned Catacomb
3 [ISD] Hinterland Harbor

// Creatures
4 [ISD] Boneyard Wurm
1 [ISD] Ambush Viper
4 [ISD] Mindshrieker
4 [M12] Merfolk Looter
3 [ISD] Skaab Ruinator
4 [ISD] Splinterfright
1 [ISD] Laboratory Maniac
4 [M12] Vengeful Pharaoh
1 [ISD] Kessig Cagebreakers

// Spells
4 [ISD] Dream Twist
4 [ISD] Mulch
1 [ISD] Memory's Journey
1 [ISD] Gnaw to the Bone
1 [ISD] Spider Spawning

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [NPH] Surgical Extraction
SB: 3 [ISD] Naturalize
SB: 2 [ISD] Gnaw to the Bone
SB: 4 [ISD] Curse of the Bloody Tome กก Sad
SB: 2 [M12] Jace, Memory Adept
Jacois

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, this deck is awesome! Gnaw to the Bone against RDW G1, gained 12 life, didn't need to flash it back. Cool deck!

I'm gonna play around with it. I like the idea of it trying to mill control decks g2 out of the board. I'll try to incorporate that. Given how "off the radar" this deck is already going to be, incorporating a reverse board strategy could easily steal G2.

Maybe just load the board with 15 Planeswalkers! Razz
Jacois

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ogle wrote:
I really like the idea of your deck, but as you play U is there any reason not to play forbidden alchemy? also 3 skaab ruinator seems too many for me, cuz they weaken your other plans. I know you play ambush viper because its creature that pumps your yard but 1 removal looks kinda random. Also 4 Mindshrieker looks too much as well as you wont have enough mana to pump severals anyway. The Pharaoh as a 4 off is bad too as you dont want more than 1 or maybe 2 in your yard if you have mulch or something. he is not your beater anyway. I would love to see moar Cagebreakers and removal.

Well, I only tested 1 match Ogle but I can say that the Mindshrieker was decent. Not an auto cut anyways. And it combos VERY nicely with the pharoah. I had 2 in my yard and my opponent attacked with something or other. Right there on my upkeep I made the bird into an 11/11. Not too shabby.
Listenboi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah jacois, i was going to say that about pharaoh-shrieker, phara is the removal, its not good idea to cut creatures for spells since theyre the base of the deck, cagebreakers can win a game but theyre expensive and easily killed, but yeah sometimes you have 2 pharas on hand and that completely sucks.
ishocrone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
1 [M12] Swamp (3)
5 [M11] Island (3)
6 [SOM] Forest (3)
3 [ISD] Hinterland Harbor
4 [M11] Drowned Catacomb
4 [ISD] Woodland Cemetery

// Creatures
1 [ISD] Kessig Cagebreakers
3 [M12] Vengeful Pharaoh
4 [ISD] Boneyard Wurm
4 [ISD] Deranged Assistant
3 [ISD] Skaab Ruinator
4 [ISD] Splinterfright
4 [7E] Merfolk Looter
4 [ISD] Mindshrieker

// Spells
1 [ISD] Gnaw to the Bone
1 [ISD] Spider Spawning
1 [ISD] Memory's Journey
4 [ISD] Mulch
4 [ISD] Dream Twist

i added deranged assistant for some synergy with pharoah idk let me know opinions this deck auto losses to graveyard hate though O.o
judas_bcn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dream twist is redundant, memory's journey has no point without lab maniac, forbbiden alchemy >>> mulch, 3 ruinators are too much as he is recurrable, if u wnt to run it do as a 1 of, 4 boneyard wurm is redundant, 2 should be enough, same to mindshrieker and pharaoh, better use spots on think twice. negate is a must at least in sb against spellbombs, along with some other hardcounter (mental misstep even better). 2 or 3 jace archivist fit in really well as they have sinergy with ur deck and disrupt opponent's hand. cagebreaker needs to be at least 2 even 3, easy to kill but adds really big pressure on opponents. and going to graveyard is not a big deal. birds of paradise! early ramp, later pump! also try to make at least 30 creatures so fright gets +1+1 on average per turn. viridian emissary is a hard dilema for opps: do i pump and ramp him or do i get 2 per turn? not sure about spider spawning (<cagebreakers?)

those are my thoughts, little bit messy, hope i help in some way
cloysterd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dream Twist really is pretty poor. The obvious alternative is Forbidden Alchemy. If you really want to start milling on turn 1, Ghoulcaller's Bell can get you more cards in the long run, plus you only have to pay for it once and it provides another reliable way to get Pharoah back into your graveyard immediately. Also I know you're trying to keep the creature count high, but a Bonehoard or two can make any of your little enablers into big threats (or your Splinterfright into an absolute monster). If you add the artifacts you can also add some Buried Ruin to snag them if they get milled off. And I'd definitely go with the bullet Lab Maniac (probably over one of the Ruinators) with Memory's Journey.
Listenboi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, that was a very good feedback, i take in count your suggestions and the deck really changed for good, i added a pair of swifthoff boots for some protection. the hardest match was against control (flare tipe) or any deck with a nihil spellbomb. Smile

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
3 [ISD] Woodland Cemetery
1 [M10] Swamp (3)
6 [ISD] Island (1)
4 [ISD] Forest (3)
4 [M12] Drowned Catacomb
4 [ISD] Hinterland Harbor
1 [M12] Buried Ruin

// Creatures
2 [ISD] Boneyard Wurm
4 [ISD] Mindshrieker
4 [M12] Merfolk Looter
1 [ISD] Skaab Ruinator
4 [ISD] Splinterfright
3 [M12] Vengeful Pharaoh
3 [ISD] Kessig Cagebreakers
3 [M12] Jace's Archivist
4 [M10] Birds of Paradise

// Spells
1 [ISD] Gnaw to the Bone
2 [M12] Swiftfoot Boots
4 [ISD] Forbidden Alchemy
2 [MBS] Bonehoard

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [M11] Naturalize
SB: 3 [NPH] Surgical Extraction
SB: 3 [MOR] Negate
SB: 2 [M12] Jace, Memory Adept
SB: 2 [MBS] Thrun, the Last Troll

More suggestion are welcome.
judas_bcn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boots are a great idea, specially for haste. a hasted 9/9 trample is a big deal. still prefer viridian emissary>pharaoh, and deranged assistant >mindshrieker, and just 1 or 2 swamps splashed as emissary targets to use alchemy flashback to refuel. bonehoard is nice looking but little effective, its spot i think can be used better, maybe think twice or something else with flashback. maybe make -1 mindshrieker, -1 pharaoh, -2 bonehoard, +3 emissary, +1 boneyard wurm or something similar. i've tried this list, played just once without SB against some random rock deck maindecking wurmcoil, and the lack of SB (i hadn't made it yet) was what made me lose the third game (2-1 won with cagebreaker on turn 5 for 5 wolves).

// Lands
10 [NPH] Forest (1)
8 [NPH] Island (2)

// Creatures
4 [ISD] Splinterfright
2 [ISD] Boneyard Wurm
4 [M12] Birds of Paradise
3 [MBS] Viridian Emissary
4 [ISD] Deranged Assistant
1 [ISD] Laboratory Maniac
4 [M12] Merfolk Looter
2 [M12] Jace's Archivist
2 [ISD] Kessig Cagebreakers
2 [M12] Acidic Slime
3 [M12] Llanowar Elves

// Spells
3 [ISD] Forbidden Alchemy
3 [ISD] Think Twice
1 [ISD] Memory's Journey

i have to change several things, starting on changing a forest for a swamp. later i'll test the GUB version with pharaohs.
judas_bcn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forget archivist, forget lab maniac, mirror mad phantasm is really mad! antivated 3 times in turn 5 and got a 22/22 trample (just 2 cards in library left, hehe)
JA0

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

been testing this deck, id say archivist dont seem useful at all in this deck, and i do think it needs some sort of removal.

maybe some mana leaks. idk i like the deck idea, just needs somthing to make it more solid. swift boots id probally remove for beast within.

then maybe archivist for either manaleak or some additional removal maybe dismember?

ima test some of these ideas and get back to yall, but loving the deck just needs to be more consistent...

edit: Aether adept could be useful over archivist, as a tempo breaker or two get rid of that pesky blocker...
judas_bcn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in paper, archivist sends creatures to graveyard, while disrupting opponent's well builded hand. specially against control. anyway, i don't use it as i've found mirror-mad phantasm is way faster to be able to overpower the deck. this is the list i've been useing lately:

// Lands
9 [NPH] Forest (1)
8 [NPH] Island (2)
1 [NPH] Swamp (1)

// Creatures
4 [ISD] Splinterfright
2 [ISD] Boneyard Wurm
4 [M12] Birds of Paradise
3 [MBS] Viridian Emissary
3 [ISD] Deranged Assistant
4 [M12] Merfolk Looter
2 [ISD] Kessig Cagebreakers
3 [M12] Llanowar Elves
2 [ISD] Mirror-Mad Phantasm
3 [ISD] Ambush Viper

// Spells
4 [ISD] Forbidden Alchemy
4 [ISD] Mulch

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [ISD] Ambush Viper
SB: 3 [NPH] Mental Misstep
SB: 4 [M12] Negate
SB: 2 [ISD] Tree of Redemption
SB: 3 [NPH] Beast Within

removal is in the form of ambush viper, as it goes to the graveyard and counts to your big houses. changes i'd probably do are: -1 looter, -1 mulch, +2 phantasmal images or phyrexian metamorph (even better to copy ratchet bombs) or boneyard wurm in MB. image copies frights, wurms or cagebreakers, as well as killing legends (i've found biggest problem to this deck is elesh norn). in SB maybe 2 gnaw to the bone and 2 tree of redemption are too much, as well as 4th viper, so -1 viper, -1 tree of redemption, and +2 postmortem lunge (could as well go MB and images on SB) or 2 ratchet bombs.

more removal is not needed in fact, as main point on this deck is that your big threats are faster than 6 drops, which are most deck's bombs.

matchups: random aggro are owned, wolf run is owned (we're faster, and after SB nexus are no longer a problem), Ux control is no problem, just add pressure and side in negates, solar flare is the real trouble, early elesh norn is too much to handle with. 2 phantasmal images and 3 beast within should be OK to deal with it, but still haven't tested. even nihi spellbomb, 'cause killing her once for flare is not a problem. haven't tested yet against tokens and images, but ratchet bombs should deal with the first one and misstep, gnaw to the bone and tree of redemption should give you enough time to play a well powered splinterfright.
any other feedbacks?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1