Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modern Tooth and Nail

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern
bobdogs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Modern Tooth and Nail Reply with quote

So i have just started playing magic again after being away form the game since Ravinca. My local store had a Modern tournament and this is what i ran. I won the tournament but know that this build is far from optimal as i only won because of the lack of quality decks played against me (Didn't see a Goyf'all day).The deck's purpose is too ramp/ search until you have enough mana to play Tooth and search for big targets (usually Kiki-Jiki and Blightsteel). Cards like Mindslave and Oblivion Stone buy you the time to do this.

Land
12 Forest
4 Urza's Tower
4 Urza's Power Plant
4 Urza's Mine

Search/Ramp
4 Solemn Simulacrum
4 Sylvan Scrying
4 Reap and Sow
4 Sakura Tribe Elder
2 Rampant Growth

Tooth and Targets
4 Tooth and Nail
1 Kiki Jiki, Mirror Breaker
1 Blightsteel Colosus
1 Platinum Angel
1 Leonin Abunas
1 Sundering Titan

Utility
3 Mindslaver
3 Oblivion Stone
3 Eternal Witness

Sideboard
3 Boseiju, Who Shelters All
2 Beast Within
1 Mindslaver
1 Rude Awakening
2 Viridian Shaman
2 Cavern Caryatid
1 Deuplicant
1 Blazing Archon
1 Mephidross Vampire
1 Triskelion

Since i have been away from the games so long i do not know what other cards are out there to optimize this deck. Basically i feel that my targets need to be tweeked as i'm sure there are better options (ie: Blightsteel Colosus really improves the deck). Also i feel there probablly are better land search option and much better sideboard cards. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
MassO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Primeval Titans should be a 3 of in this deck, which allows you to drop one of the 2 drop land searches you have. I would go with 4 Search for tomorrow instead of sylvan scrying and drop the rampants for 2 of the titans and drop a Solemn for the other titan.

That will allow your deck to win without tooth going off and will also allow you to cast the tooth quicker than you would otherwise. You could use lotus' over the Urza lands, your choice, its a personal preference I think.

Ok, Creature choices should be 1 Kiki Jiki and 1 Blightsteel another combo is the Urbrask, the Hidden and Emrakul.

I would drop the Sundering Titan to the Board a Two of and have all four of these as Tooth Targets, Each one wins you the game.

You need Artifact/Enchantment destruction for Blood Moons and the artifacts that do not allow you search your library. You also need a way to get rid of Leonin Arbiter.

I would have 2 of the red mana source main deck, and 1 Devils play or the XR card that can't be prevented or countered.
Mr_Weebles

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Primeval Titan
Exploration Map
Mr_Weebles

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try something similar to one of the current standard meta decks. Here is a rough draft a mash-up of Dungrove Kessig and Tooth n Nail.

4 Inkmoth Nexus
2 Kessig Wolf Run
4 Stomping Grounds
1 Mountain
13 Forest

4 Dungrove Elder
4 Primeval Titan
4 Tooth and Nail

1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
1 Blightsteel Collosus
1 Urabrask the Hidden
1 Inferno Titan

4 Search for Tomorrows
4 Sakura-Tribe Elder
2 Rampant Growth

1 Devil's Play
3 Oblivion Stone
3 Beast Within

3 Garruk, Primal Hunter
FiReBLT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Emrakul/Urabrask and Platinum Angel/Leonin Abunas is probably all you need in terms of targets, that's I can't lose and I win?
Fanboy1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Tooth and Nail screams to use Emrakul. Inner Flame Acolyte is the better Haste guy for Emrakul though because if they kill him before attack Emrakul still gets to attack. I also never really understood why you use Abunas/Platinum instead of just 2 Platinum Angels. You can't cast Abunas if you draw it but you can cast Platinum.

You should also play the Punishing Fire/Grove combo for creature control.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason it was abunas plus angel was that in mirrodin block artifact removal was more common than creature removal.
styx^

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vintagebellringer? exarch?
Fanboy1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiki-Jiki-combo is bad when you have zero disruption. They just kill it in response.
Raybelfast

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the wolf run list without tron. maybe run a big zoo deck with tooth as the high end?

Something like this maybe, not really geared for any specific decks out there but seems like fun.

Emrakul and Inner flame and tooth are basically just there too push through a big amoount of damage rather than using tooth as a win now combo as most of them can be disrupted.

Overgrown Tomb is for extirpate in the board which isnt completed yet.

1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Treetop Village
1 Sejiri Steppe
4 Temple Garden
2 Inkmoth nexus
2 Kessig Wolf Run
2 Stomping Grounds
3 Grove of the Burnwillows
4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Forest

4 Tarmagoyf
4 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Primeval Titan
4 Wild Nacatyl
4 Quasali Pridemage
1 Emrakul The Aeons Torn
1 Inner Flame Acolyte

3 Tooth And Nail
4 Punishing Fire
3 Path To Exile
3 Beast Within
1 Demonfire

Maybe change some stuff add some land search possibly lightning helix.

Edit - Fixed screwy manabase
bobdogs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You all for the advice.
I picked up 2 Prime Titans, tested with them, and am already trying to pick up 2 more as they are deffinately an auto include. Search for tommorows workd better than the rampant growths so they are in too. I'm also quickly realizing that the Tron engine isn't really needed with the ramp that is available (even though im partial too it because i have a foiled set of all the pieces).
I tested with 1 mountain and 1 Wolf run and like it too. Same with the Grove/ Fire combo as it gives me some much needed defence. Some of your other suggestions are great but i can't afford some of them (i don't exactly have 'goyf money).
Once again thankyou all for the advice and once i iron out the final changes to the list i will post it here.
DoomBr1nger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't really need any Wild Nacatls, since all you want is to ramp into your other nasty stuff and not take much damage from lands.

Wall of Roots + Overgrown Battlement is the way to go or Lotus Cobra.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1