Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clone Effects Thread

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
wdeister

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Clone Effects Thread Reply with quote

Figured I'd start this as a general thread for all clone creatures since they cause so many questions for some people.

I'll ask the first question, I'm almost sure I'm right on this but I'm usually wrong so lets see.

If I use a Phantasmal Image to copy a Mirran Crusader, does it gain the CMC of the card? I.E. 3
Terri

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it does copy every characteristic of the chosen creature. P/T Name CMC creature types card subtypes. and it enters the battlefield in the form the copied creature would enter the battlefield. means if you copy a mutavault it will enter the battlefield as a land. any judge may correct me if i got something wrong.
sc4rs

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best explanation/trick that helps you to remember that I've heard is if you literally took the card that you're copying and made a photocopy of it, that's what the Clone comes into play as.
cloysterd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sc4rs wrote:
The best explanation/trick that helps you to remember that I've heard is if you literally took the card that you're copying and made a photocopy of it, that's what the Clone comes into play as.

That's not 100% true in every situation (flip/transform cards, another Clone) but it is a good rule of thumb. For the record:

706.2. When copying an object, the copy acquires the copiable values of the original object's characteristics and, for an object on the stack, choices made when casting or activating it (mode, targets, the value of X, whether it was kicked, how it will affect multiple targets, and so on). The "copiable values" are the values derived from the text printed on the object (that text being name, mana cost, color indicator, card type, subtype, supertype, expansion symbol, rules text, power, toughness, and/or loyalty), as modified by other copy effects, by "as . . . enters the battlefield" and "as . . . is turned face up" abilities that set characteristics, and by abilities that caused the object to be face down. Other effects (including type-changing and text-changing effects), status, and counters are not copied.
Mcleetsauce

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So am I to understand that if there is a transformed creature and I choose to copy it, it will copy the front of the card instead of the transformed side?
Clariax
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When copying a double faced card, the copy will copy the characteristics of whichever face is up at the time the copy effect applies.

Mcleetsauce wrote:
So am I to understand that if there is a transformed creature and I choose to copy it, it will copy the front of the card instead of the transformed side?
Mcleetsauce

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clariax wrote:
When copying a double faced card, the copy will copy the characteristics of whichever face is up at the time the copy effect applies.

Mcleetsauce wrote:

Thank you much
magicman85

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night at my FNM we had a situation where a 4/4 Figure of Destiny was being copied by an Evil Twin. Does the Evil Twin come in as a 4/4 or a 1/1?
Sebas_

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be 1/1.
It copies the creature as printed.
sc4rs

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cloysterd wrote:
sc4rs wrote:

That's not 100% true in every situation (flip/transform cards, another Clone) but it is a good rule of thumb.

It actually does work for transform cards as well; when you photocopy a card, you only get one side! Wink

But point taken, and thanks for taking the time to find and paste the actual rule.
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy effects do not copy status. That means that your copy will enter the battlefield untapped, unflipped, face-up (the morph variant) and phased-in.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when a token copies a card, does the token copy the cmc as well or is there a rule that specifically states that tokens have cmc 0?
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy effects copy everything about a card, down to expansion symbol. Mana costs (and thus colour and CMC) is also copied.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1