Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Create-a-Card Round 79: Cards we should never have made

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Create-a-Card Round 79: Cards we should never have made Reply with quote

Disciple of the Vault. Skullclamp. Stoneforge Mystic. What were they thinking?

I've participated in several Create-a-cards now, and I've come to the conclusion that most Magic Leaguers *like* posting cards that are broken. Balanced cards are boring. So the goal for this round is to create a card which really *looks* balanced but is secretly totally insanely IMBA.

Scoring chart:

0/4: Brokenness - How absurd would it be to use this in a deck, whether constructed or limited?

0/4: Subtlety - Could this slip by R&D and actually get printed before anyone realized just how broken it was?

0/2: Originality - Don't take a common effect and simply reduce the casting cost.

0/2: Style - There should be an element of coolness completely aside from being OP.

0/2: Flavor - Make it interesting - no one likes boring broken cards.

0/1: Mechanics/Language - Put some effort into your presentation.

Total Points 0/15

Quote:
I decided to add something to this challenge: If you really think that your brokenness deserves a 4 in subtlety, go ahead and say so in your post. If it can slip past R&D, there is a minor chance that it can slip past me as well.

Last edited by xJudicatorx on Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
feamar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:31 am    Post subject: Cast into nowhere Reply with quote

Rare, instant (no casting cost)

Cast into nowhere is black.
You may discard this card.
When you discard this card, you may draw a card.

"Where did it go?"

-------------
If it's unclear for whatever reason that this card is TOTALLY BROKEN,
please ask, and I will explain.
Balaviaris

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glimpse of Brilliance U

Sorcery - Rare

Whenever another card is put into your graveyard from anywhere this turn, draw a card then discard a card.

"There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line." - Ludevic, the necro-alchemist.

This card belongs to the Glimpse of Nature imaginary cycle. The potential for turn 1-2 wins with this card is great, although the fact that you need to put a card into your graveyard to get the combo started and it needs a specific deck to abuse it, might lead R&D to make the mistake to print it. Add the fact that if you don't do anything in response to the last activation (or what you try to do gets disrupted) this card will mill you to death. People tend to like win-all-lose-all situations, so I guess it will be fun to play with.

Last edited by Balaviaris on Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:32 am; edited 2 times in total
kumagmd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeds of Nourishment
GG
Enchantment - Permanent Aura (common)
Seeds of Nourishment comes onto the battlefield enchanting target permanent.
Remove a counter from enchanted permanent: Gain 1 life
"The fruit may be sweet - the seeds even more so. But I prefer me my own juicy bug!" - Squee, Goblin Cabinhand
kane2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kumagmd wrote:
Seeds of Nourishment
GG
"The fruit may be sweet - the seeds even more so. But I prefer me my own juicy bug!" - Squee, Goblin Cabinhand

I fail to see how this card is broken.. it would have to combo with something that gains an arseload of counters per turn.. but if I were you I would probably think of something different kuma
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Improvising Mind 1U

Enchantment (rare)

At the beginning of your upkeep scry 2.

The best plan is to have two more.

Last edited by pseudodespot on Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gracco

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goblin Reaper R

Red
Mythic Rare

Legendary Creature - Goblin Lord

All other Goblins you control get +1/+1 and Swampwalk

When a card is sent from your side of the
field to the graveyard you must sacrifice
this creature and draw a card.

When this card goes to the graveyard from play you may
return it to your hand to discard one card and add RR
to your mana pool.

P/T 3/1

My card is a Mythic Rare so that justifies his bloated power for his CMC. He can be sacrified whenever a card you control is sent from the field to the grave. It being a card you control and from the field lessens his potential seen brokedness. Also, he is a legendary, that makes his ability not work if he gets Legend ruled. He is a goblin so Skirk Prospecter would combo well with him. When you return this card to your hand you can recast it and play a spell for R. You are required to draw the card and if his second ability is used you must discard one card, that gives this creature more balance. When this card returns to your hand you have a free RR, this is what makes this card so broke. Your hand size stays the same but you can potentially draw your deck. He is one toughness, that makes him an easier kill. And for flavor he has swampwalk to go with his Black-centered abilities.

-Gracco

Last edited by Gracco on Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total
iSperia
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screeching Drill (U)
Instant (U)
Target player puts the top 3 cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
Threshold - U, Exile two cards from your graveyard: return Memory Drill to its owner's hand. Activate this ability only if seven or more cards are in your graveyard.

"First, you hear pleas for help... Then you understand that it is your pleas."
- Merieki Ri Berit

I continued on some mill tematics ^_^ mill cards may be way overpowered and still be passed by R&D since this archetype looks weak. So, i guess that uncommon in mill decks will be a boom
kumagmd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kumagmd wrote:
Seeds of Nourishment
GG

And that is why it'll get past R&D =)
sc4rs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jin-Gitaxias's Bargain
4(U/B)(U/B)
Enchantment - Mythic
Skip your draw step.
Sacrifice a permanent: Draw a card.
"I have access to all knowledge. It is just a matter of knowing where to look."
Selkie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glimpse of evolution: G(G)

Until end of turn, tap two creatures you control: Draw a card.
Jacois

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snapcraft 1U
Enchantment
Spells you cast from your graveyard cost 2 less to cast.
tinman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: light the path Reply with quote

light the path
3R sorcery rare

deal any amount of damage to target creature you control and draw that many cards. damage dealt and cards drawn may not exceed that creatures toughness, nor may the creature be regenerated, exile it if it is destroyed in this manner.

Mountaincycling 1R play this ability only any time you could play a sorcery. draw a card at the beginning of the next turns upkeep.

[/b][/i]"i see said the blind man"
Fidelis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venerable Vampire
BB
Creature - Vampire Wizard

When Venerable Vampire enters the battlefield search your library for a card then shuffle your library and put that card on top of it. You lose 2 life.

Pay 2 life: Put Venerable Vampire on top of its owner's library

1/1

"After centuries of dipping his quill in blood to inscribe on voluminous tomes, he still savors the inscription of every new letter."
numotflame96

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vial of Thoughts 2
Artifact
~ enters the battlefield taped. and doesn't untap during your untap step.
T: draw 2 cards.
Discard 3 cards: untap ~.

Last edited by numotflame96 on Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4