Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BWG Pox

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: BWG Pox Reply with quote

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [ISD] Isolated Chapel
4 [ISD] Woodland Cemetery
3 [M12] Sunpetal Grove
3 [M12] Plains (4)
3 [M12] Forest (4)
5 [ISD] Swamp (3)
3 [ISD] Ghost Quarter

// Creatures
3 [M12] Sun Titan
1 [SOM] Sylvok Replica
1 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine
3 [MBS] Glissa, the Traitor
1 [NPH] Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
3 [MBS] Viridian Emissary

// Spells
3 [M12] Day of Judgment
4 [ISD] Liliana of the Veil
3 [ISD] Mulch
4 [M12] Smallpox
2 [SOM] Ratchet Bomb
3 [ISD] Unburial Rites
2 [M12] Doom Blade
2 [ISD] Garruk Relentless/Garruk, the Veil-Cursed

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [SOM] Sylvok Replica
SB: 2 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine
SB: 1 [M12] Doom Blade
SB: 2 [SOM] Nihil Spellbomb
SB: 2 [SOM] Mimic Vat
SB: 3 [M12] Grand Abolisher
SB: 3 [M12] Timely Reinforcements

This is another deck that I have been using lately. With lilliana and small pox and unburial rights I wanted to explore the possibility of a smallpox deck. So far this is the list that I have been using, I have found it to be very powerful yet I am not confident that it is completely tuned properly to the current metagame. Right now it completely destroys token decks with the combo of glissa and ratchet bomb or sun titan and ratchet bomb.

As for control, pox is pretty devastating as you rip their lands and their hands from them stunting their ability to develop their board. With how the deck is constructed, smallpox hurts you far less then it does your opponent. Mulch is especially helpful here since it gives you more lands and sets up unburial rights when you need it.

against wolf run's ramp ghost quarters is huge when it comes to shutting off their lands and doj is great at taking out thier large beasts. Glissa is also fantastic since her first strike+deathtouch trumps their large creatures.

after some testing I am debating the usefulness of garruk. I think that I might want to replace him with something else, but I'm not sure yet.

anyways let me know your thoughts and perhaps this can be tuned into a decent deck.
magicman85

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Spellskite is better than Ghost Quarter even though you would have to pay the 2 life.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magicman85 wrote:
I think Spellskite is better than Ghost Quarter even though you would have to pay the 2 life.

I think you may be right.
KnowN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mulch seems shitty. you only have 12 creature cards which I assume are the only cards you would want to be put in your grave.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The concept is pretty clever. The only thing im not convinced about is the mana, which looks quite bad. You defiantly can not afford to play ghost quarter.

Have you tested Grave titan. He seems stronger vs UB and UBW as he can not be doom bladed and creates more threats and should still be good vs tokens but looking at that list it looks like is rapes aggro anyway, which is why if i was you i would focus on coming up with a strong sideboard strategy for the UB UBW UW decks, as towards the end of any decent tournament you will find people who play them religiously.

I also agree the garruk's seem out of place and do not fit with the rest of the deck. I also think the same about glissa. Wrath, plus ratchet bomb and some removal should be enough to beat tokens by itself.

There are few things you could do instead if you cut these cards:-

This is what i would look at doing, if i cut those cards.

Add another, mulch plus another unburail rites and maybe 2 more fatties and increase the consistancy of the deck just doing what it wants to do. If you do, do this you could maybe also trial some number of heartless summonings as it also has some synergy with what you are attempting to do.

Other things to consider are runescarred demon, the tutor ability is quite nice in a deck with a lot of 1 off creatures or situations where you want a specific fatty and by playing one you allow yourself more consistently to find the right threat in the right match up. A vengeful pharao maybe worth a try also mulching into him turn 2 then dropping liliana turn 3 seems like it would rape any aggro deck.

My fatties would prob look something like this, 1 wurmcoil engine, 1 elsesh norn, 1 rune scarred demon, 2 grave titan, 1 vengeful pharoah, 1 sun titan.

Deck looks really interesting again, if it wasnt for the price of liliana i would probably build it on modo and see where i can take it.

Also if your seeing a lot of red and the tokens mental mistep in the board is pretty good.

Oh and also ravorverge thicket would be better than sunpetal grove in this deck as you ideally want your green mana early to cast mulch or viridian emissary, solves the problem of multiple tap land hands.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
3 [ISD] Isolated Chapel
4 [ISD] Woodland Cemetery
5 [ISD] Swamp (3)
2 [NPH] Plains (1)
4 [SOM] Forest (3)
3 [SOM] Razorverge Thicket
2 [M12] Sunpetal Grove
2 [ISD] Ghost Quarter

// Creatures
3 [M12] Sun Titan
1 [SOM] Sylvok Replica
1 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine
3 [MBS] Glissa, the Traitor
1 [NPH] Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
3 [MBS] Viridian Emissary
1 [M12] Grave Titan

// Spells
4 [ISD] Liliana of the Veil
4 [M12] Smallpox
2 [SOM] Ratchet Bomb
4 [ISD] Unburial Rites
2 [M12] Doom Blade
1 [SOM] Nihil Spellbomb
1 [MBS] Go for the Throat
4 [ISD] Mulch

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [SOM] Sylvok Replica
SB: 1 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine
SB: 1 [MBS] Viridian Emissary
SB: 3 [NPH] Spellskite
SB: 2 [SOM] Nihil Spellbomb
SB: 3 [SOM] Mimic Vat
SB: 1 [NPH] Sheoldred, Whispering One
SB: 2 [M12] Day of Judgment

Manfredbyron, thanks a lot for your comment. it has helped a lot, I like grave titan a lot, however glissa is actually quite good. First she is quite a speed bump against aggro, especially with lightning bolt out of the picture. She dodges doom blade. She is a machine gun against tokens when you get a ratchet bomb, and she works well with sun titan. I changed my mana base around a little bit to make it more green friendly, I like the idea of adding razorverge thickets. as for ghost quarters, they have not been an issue on my mana at all so I figured that I would leave 2 in the deck and now I have 3 spellskites in the sb to handle ramp.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1