Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Create-a-card 76 - Sundial Abuse

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
CharlesT

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infested Cemetery - 2BBB
World Enchantment - Mythic

At the end of each player's draw step, that player may put X 2/2 zombies on the battlefield, where X is the number of cards in his hand.

At the beginning of each player's end step, that player discards his hand.

"...I'm the s..ss..ssole survivor..r.r, they came up..up from no..nn.n.nowher..."
-Coward (non warrior) Human.

Last edited by CharlesT on Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gademis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Approaching Doomsday RB1

Enchantment - Rare

At the beginning of each player's upkeep put a doom counter on ~.

At the beginning of each player's end step, ~ deals X damage to that player, where X is the number of doom counters on it.

"Let's see what the lunatics came up with this time. Ending calendars, giant meteors, cataclysm, tsunami. Nothing new." - Agrivian Schollar
Terri

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikazuchi wrote:
Savage Balance 2RG
Sorcery (Rare)

Savage Balance can't be countered.

When you cast Savage Balance, it deals 6 damage divided as you choose among any number of target creatures and/or players.

Each opponent gains 6 life.

how is this a combo with sundial of the infinite
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1OR513N wrote:
ikazuchi wrote:
Savage Balance 2RG
Sorcery (Rare)

When you cast Savage Balance, it deals 6 damage divided as you choose among any number of target creatures and/or players.

Because Sundial gets around spells that can't be countered by exiling them!
Balaviaris

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xJudicatorx wrote:
1OR513N wrote:
ikazuchi wrote:
Savage Balance 2RG
Sorcery (Rare)

Because the 6 damage is dealt before the spell resolves, and sundial never lets it resolve (so you only do 6 un-counterable damage)
Mcleetsauce

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balaviaris wrote:
xJudicatorx wrote:
1OR513N wrote:
ikazuchi wrote:
Savage Balance 2RG
Sorcery (Rare)

You can't activate an ability during the resolution of a spell.

Because the 6 damage is dealt before the spell resolves, and sundial never lets it resolve (so you only do 6 un-counterable damage)
Chaosworm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mcleetsauce wrote:
Balaviaris wrote:
xJudicatorx wrote:
1OR513N wrote:
ikazuchi wrote:
Savage Balance 2RG
Sorcery (Rare)

You can't activate an ability during the resolution of a spell.

You can't activate an ability during the resolution of a spell, true. However, "When you cast ~, it deals 6 damage divided as you choose among any number of target creatures and/or players" is a triggered ability that triggers when you cast it, and you can activate an ability after that triggering ability has resolved before the spell has started to resolve.
numotflame96

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curse of Empires 2BB
Enchantment [R]
At the beginning of your upkeep, each opponent loses X life where X is the number of lands you control.
At the beginning of your end step sacrifice permanents equal to the life lost by each opponent this turn.
"That which is a conqueror's greatest weapon shall also be his greatest curse."
CharlesT

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

judging?
sc4rs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesT wrote:
judging?

Hasn't even been a week, and the thread is still on the front page of M-L. I usually wait until one or the other passes to judge.
sc4rs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balaviaris wrote:
Compass of the Infinite 2

Artifact Rare

Abilities that can be activated only during their controller's turn, can be activated during any turn instead.

Tuktuk thought that a compass that doesn't point north would have to point to something important. To his disappointment, he found out that it was only pointing to an old useless sun clock.

This is the most straightforward breaking of Sundial that I can imagine. Unfortunately, the wording is really wonky with any other card. Does this let me activate abilities that could only be played anytime I could play a sorcery? If yes, can I play them only during sorcery-speed times during my opponent's turn? This card needs more specifics (or reminder text) to interact with the rest of Magic. In addition, it does very little by itself besides the combo. The flavor is funny though, and I like the blatant pointing towards the combo both in the flavor text and name.

Mechanics - 1.5
Flavor - 2
Total - 3.5

cloysterd wrote:
Wave of Extinction - Rare
2BBB
Sorcery

Destroy all creatures target player controls.

At the beginning of the next end step, destroy all creatures.

"Death is its own reward, but you can still take time to savor the moment." - Barsis, Nihil Priest

This is a really great design. The casting cost evokes a black Overrun, while the benefit definitely outshines Damnation for the extra mana. The rarity is good and the flavor is pretty good. I'm just not sure this really encourages you to play Sundial. A 6 mana Plague Wind is still pretty expensive, and I'm not sure that having Sundial in your deck would be worth it over having creatures with Regenerate or graveyard effects to abuse.

Mechanics - 2.5
Flavor - 1.75
Total - 4.25

Duodax wrote:
Energy Surplus 2 U/P

Common

Enchantment - Aura

Enchant artifact

(U/P may be paid with U or with 2 life.)

Whenever enchanted artifact becomes tapped, draw a card.

Definitely matched to its power level, and the name fits the ability. Again, though, I don't know why you would combo this with Sundial when you could combo it with any mana-producing artifact ever and profit much more easily.

Mechanics - 1.5
Flavor - 1.5
Total - 3

G0ND412 wrote:
Broken Loop 4U

Mythic Rare

Enchantment

At the beginning of your upkeep, take an extra turn after this one.

At the end of your turn, skip your next turn.

The chronologist tried to build a time loop, but his hopes always came to an end all too quickly.

The idea and the flavor are absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately, there are all of two cards in Magic that I can think of that would make this have any benefit whatsoever - Paradox Haze and Sundial. I think that for 4U and doing absolutely nothing by itself, Wizards would have a hard time justifying printing this just for its interaction with two other cards.

Mechanics - 1.5
Flavor - 2
Total - 3.5

LordHawk wrote:
Circle of Victory
Color: U/R
CmC: 2UUR
Type: Enchantment
Rarity: Rare

Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, put a copy of that creature into the battlefield with Haste. At the end of turn sacrifice the each copy made this turn.

Sacrifice Circle of Victory: Each Attacking creature gains double strike until end of turn.

Flavor: " We waited for our chance to strike, and strike we did. Losing only our inner selves. "

I don't think that this would be worded to work with Sundial if it were actually printed, but ignoring that, this is a neat card with a neat ability. For a 5 mana enchantment in two colors, you want to be winning the game in short order, and this definitely provides that. The flavor is cool but the card has a few grammar/layout issues. Sundial getting you permanent copies of your creatures for 1 more mana is handy too.

Mechanics - 2.5
Flavor - 1
Total - 3.5

Tritemio wrote:
Shared turn 5

Artifact Rare

You play opponents turn, your opponent play your turn

I love this idea, but again, more reminder text or clarity needs to be here. Otherwise, this could be interpreted in two ways - that your turn is considered your opponents turn and vice versa, or a Mindslaver-type "You control your opponent's turn and your opponent controls yours" effect. Based on the fact that the latter would be an absolutely terrible combo with Sundial, I'm guessing you meant the former, which is cool - especially with "at the beginning of your upkeep" abilities triggering at weird times. I'm not sure how much of an actual effect it would have on the game without Sundial, but kudos for the cool idea. There's next to no flavor, however.

Mechanics - 2.75
Flavor - 0.5
Total - 3.25

ikazuchi wrote:
Savage Balance 2RG
Sorcery (Rare)

“Serenity is not freedom from the storm, but peace amid the storm”
—Saint Trogen, the Slayer

This is essentially an uncounterable Fiery Justice, except that the first part of the spell is worded in a way that no spell has ever been worded in order to work with Sundial. Unfortunately, it also has the effect of making "Can't be countered" basically useless - why would any opponent ever counter a spell that, on resolution, gains them 6 life? Unless you meant "Can't be countered" to stop yourself from countering it, which seems silly to limit your own interaction with your spell, but then design it to be interacted with with Sundial. All in all, the mechanic is a bit too stilted for my tastes, and I definitely don't think the card as is would see print.

Mechanics - 1.5
Flavor - 1.5
Total - 3

KnowN wrote:
Sundial Tower
Artifact Land

{T}: Add 1 mana to your mana pool
{1,T}: Put a 3/3 Golem artifact creature into play with "Sacrifice this creature at the beginning of your end step"
Sacrifice Sundial Tower: Until end of turn: Abilities that can be activated only during you turn, can be activated during any turn instead.

"Clocks slay time... time is dead as long as it is being clicked off by little wheels; only when the clock stops does time come to life."
- Inscription on the doors of the Tower

Getting 3/3s to block for only 1 mana seems like a really, really disgustingly good anti-agro card in control. I think the balance of this is a little off. It also doesn't combo particularly well with Sundial - one 2 mana 3/3 per turn is OK but not really a true combo, and getting an extra turn by turning your opponent's turn off is neat but, again, no more interesting than Sundial + Final Fortune. Also, "abilities that can be activated only during your turn" has the same issue that the first entry in this contest had. I think the flavor is incredible, though.

Mechanics - 1.5
Flavor - 2.0
Total - 3.5

mr_ocean wrote:
Harrowing Colossus
Cost: 7
P/T: 10/10
Artifact Creature - Construct
Mythic

Trample, vigilance

At the end of your turn, choose an opponent. That opponent gains control of Harrowing Colossus unless you pay 5 life.

During your upkeep, any player may pay 5 life to gain control of Harrowing Colossus.

Pay 2 life: Harrowing Colossus gains haste until the end of turn.

He will gladly lend you his power -- provided you are willing to pay the price.

This card is really neat. The last ability is pretty much always going to be used, and 10 damage for 7 mana and two life is a pretty good trade. Without Sundial the drawback is really extreme and I think you could have collapsed the life-paying abilities a bit, but it does combo pretty cleanly with Sundial, though I'm not sure how competitive the combo would be, given how expensive it is. I like the flavor too. Pretty darn good entry!

Mechanics - 2.25
Flavor - 1.75
Total - 4

Stucco wrote:
Recondite Shrine...........................................1BB

Legendary Enchantment...............................{R}

Cumulative Upkeep - Target opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life

At the beginning of your end step, exchange life totals with target opponent.

It will only take you to the brink of death, if you're lucky.

Boy is this a weird card. Having life totals swing back and forth this wildly every turn is very interesting. It also definitely combos with Sundial, though it'd be a fairly slow clock (the lifegain mitigates that, however). I like the card itself probably the best out of all of the submissions. The flavor is only so-so, though.

Mechanics - 3
Flavor - 1.25
Total - 4.25

kumagmd wrote:
Eroding Wurm
2GGG
Creature - Wurm (R)
During each player's main phase, that player sacrifices a land, an artifact and an enchantment.
"It eats you little by little, until there is nothing left but the gnawing hunger."
5/5

During each main phase or during the first main phase? And shouldn't it be at the beginning of one or the other? Either way, I think this is broken, considering you can play it during your second main phase and take out your opponents cards even without Sundial, and skipping your entire turn just to kill their lands, artifacts, and enchantments doesn't seem that profitable if they have anything to do about it. I think the flavor is amazing, but the card is a bit lacking in what I asked for.

Mechanics - 1.25
Flavor - 2
Total - 3.25

xJudicatorx wrote:
Since the best card to combo with Sundial has already been printed(http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=12970), I'm going to make a second card for a cycle of them.

Final Charge GG
Instant (R)

Creatures you control get +2/+2 and gain trample until End of Turn. At the beginning of your End of Combat step, you lose the game.

Strength is worthless if you are imprisoned.

Combining Overrun with Final Fortune is neat, but it being an Instant is weird (playing this during your opponents turn is bad, and playing it after blockers is a bit redundant with trample), and I don't think that this'd see play with Sundial instead of Overrun - two card combo versus one card with 2G more casting cost to get an additional +1/+1 - I'm picking the latter. Plus, the point of Final Fortune was the balance - making this give your creatures 2 -1/-1 counters or something would have seemed more "balanced" in that sense. The flavor is OK, but not great.

Mechanics - 1.5
Flavor - 1.25
Total - 2.75

Chaosworm wrote:
Trip to Nowhere {W}
Enchantment - Uncommon
When ~ enters the battlefield, exile target creature.
When ~ leaves the battlefield, return the exiled card to the battlefield under its owner's control.
At the beginning of your end step, return ~ to its owner's hand.
It doesn't feel that bad as long as you know you're getting home again.

EDIT: Protip: you let the "At the beginning of your end step, return ~ to its owner's hand" ability resolve most of time.

Didn't need the protip - I figured this out when you first posted it and an evil grin spread across my face. Blinking out one of your opponents creatures during your turn feels only partially white (it feels sort of Red to me) and the ability to blink a creature with a comes-into-play ability for only W seems maybe a little overpowered. But it comboes fantastically with Sundial, which I love. The flavor was okay, too, though it ripped off Journey to Nowhere a bit. But, purely for "what card combos best with Sundial," yours is the best.

Mechanics - 2.75
Flavor - 1.5
Total - 4.25

Lostwanderer wrote:
Æther citadel 4
Artifact
4,T: Search either player's library for a creture card and upt it into play under your control.
At the begining of your endstep sacrifice two creatures.
Some say there is great power in there, Rubbish i say, no one ever comes out.-Norin the wary

This is another neat card. Getting Akroma out of your deck, or seeing what threats your opponent has, is a very cool effect. Not being able to keep any of them on the board for very long is a very fair drawback. The combo with Sundial mitigates that drawback very well, also. The wording is a bit weird ("either player" suggests only two-player games) and misses important clauses such as "shuffle their library afterwards", but the flavor is good as well. Nice submission!

Mechanics - 2.75
Flavor - 1.25
Total - 4

pseudodespot wrote:
A little remembrance to CAC71

Nhak'Avagne, Empress of Rage 3RR

Planeswalker - Nhak (mythic)

+2: Put a 4/4 red Helion creature token onto the battlefield. It has haste. Sacrifice it at the beginnig of the next end step.

-1: Until end of turn Nhak'Avagne, Empress of Rage becomes an X/X Elemental creature with trample, where X is equal to the number of permanents you control.

-6: Gain control of all creatures. Untap those creatures. They gain haste until end of turn.

<4>

The wording on the first ability takes into account that the Helion tokens do not have "haste" printed on them. Otherwise it woult be the normal "with haste" clause. And yes it looks a bit like Koth's first. I know but somewhere the Helions should have gone.

The second ability ist a tweak on Gideon obv. I like the aspect of her losing control about her mind and just becoming an incarnation of canalized Anger without being a planeswalker anymore.

The Ultimate is somewhat easy to achieve, but it could also just do nothing.

This Planeswalker is really, really good on its own, possibly even too good. Being able to +2 with its first ability means it gets counters extremely quickly, and being able to Ultimate after one turn seems far too quick, even for an ability that "might do nothing" (it also might win you the game, and forces them to not play certain creatures, meaning your 4/4s or X/X does even more damage.) You also don't address, like Gideon does via prevention, how damage from combat affects Loyalty counters. Finally, I'm not sure that Sundial would even be played with this. Getting permanent 4/4s doesn't seem like that great of a combo to me, especially when this is so powerful on its own. The flavor of the abilities is pretty good but the name "Empress of Rage" is a little generic-fantasy for my tastes.

Mechanics - 2
Flavor - 1.25
Total - 3.25

CharlesT wrote:
Infested Cemetery - 2BBB
World Enchantment - Mythic

At the end of each player's draw step, that player may put X 2/2 zombies on the battlefield, where X is the number of cards in his hand.

At the beginning of each player's end step, that player discards his hand.

"...I'm the s..ss..ssole survivor..r.r, they came up..up from no..nn.n.nowher..."
-Coward (non warrior) Human.

The effect is neat - each player getting a 2/2 zombie each turn, plus extras the first turn, but forcing each player to discard their hand is a crazily strong effect. If you resolve this against control, you basically win. I think that comparing it to Monomania, for example, it's a bit too powerful. It's a great combo with Sundial, though, as your army AND spells will outlast your opponent's. The flavor text isn't great, especially the attribution - wouldn't see print on a real card. Also, World Enchantments don't really exist anymore. A very cool card that could've been in contention with a few minor tweaks.

Mechanics - 2.5
Flavor - 1.5
Total - 4

Mr_Weebles wrote:
Orb of the Infinite (Rare)
Artifact

At the end of each player's turn, tap all permanents that player controls.

"All seemed so much less important the day we found the stone. The world had too long been without the silence we found that day." - Elspeth

This card is far too good in agro. This essentially shuts down control decks when you're playing mostly on your turn anyway. A must-sideboard card, and if you're playing a deck that cares about your permanents being untapped during your opponent's turn, you'd much rather not play this card than play this card AND play Sundial to disable it for yourself. The flavor is pretty neat though.

Mechanics - 1
Flavor - 1.75
Total - 2.75

Gademis wrote:
Approaching Doomsday RB1

Enchantment - Rare

At the beginning of each player's upkeep put a doom counter on ~.

At the beginning of each player's end step, ~ deals X damage to that player, where X is the number of doom counters on it.

"Let's see what the lunatics came up with this time. Ending calendars, giant meteors, cataclysm, tsunami. Nothing new." - Agrivian Schollar

This feels like a very black/red card, though the increasing damage gets out of hand pretty quickly. I think this would be a staple in burn strategies. Again, though, I'm not sure any deck that would want to use this would actually use Sundial with it instead of just more burn spells to end the game quicker. The flavor is funny though, I like it a lot.

Mechanics - 2
Flavor - 2
Total - 4

Dr_Moo wrote:
Loathsome Being
2B
Creature - Horror
Flying, Hexproof
When Loathsome Being enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you discard 4 cards.
At the beginning of each end step, the active player sacrifices a permanent.

5/4

Either way this card goes, it's unfun. It's basically an "all-in" on turn 3 - either your opponent finds a way to deal with it and you lose because you've 5+-for-1'd yourself, or you win in 4 turns. It's not interactive at all and I don't think it'd see print. It's definitely a great combo with Sundial as you can skip over all the drawbacks. This is basically the epitome of "black cheap creature with big drawbacks."

Mechanics - 2
Flavor - 1.25
Total - 3.25

numotflame96 wrote:
Curse of Empires 2BB
Enchantment [R]
At the beginning of your upkeep, each opponent loses X life where X is the number of lands you control.
At the beginning of your end step sacrifice permanents equal to the life lost by each opponent this turn.
"That which is a conqueror's greatest weapon shall also be his greatest curse."

This card has the same problem as the last one. Either you play it when you know it's going to win you the game, and you essentially immediately lose if it doesn't. Alone I don't think it'd be good enough to ever see play, though the combo with Sundial is very close to immediately game-ending. I'm not sure the effect is really black - sacrificing lands to directly hurt an opponent seems more red to me. The flavor text explains the name well, though I don't really think I understand what the "weapon" exactly is. Art could fix that, though, so not a big deal.

Mechanics - 2
Flavor - 1.75
Total - 3.75

yajiko wrote:
Goblin deficients RR
creature - goblin *rare*

when cardname enters the battlefield, Target player gains control of target permanent you control.

haste

T: you may activate target permanent you don't control.(all activation requirements will be paid by you, and all effects of that permanent affects its controller. All targets are still controlled by the controller.)

"although moronic, still never trade with the goblins"

1/1

the combo idea is:
turn 1: play sundial
turn 2: play <crappy rare cardname> and donate sundial
turn 3: end his turn...hehehe

This card definitely works with Sundial. I think the donation effect overshadows the more interesting part of this card, however. Using your opponent's abilities without their permission is really neat - it's like an Alluring Siren but for abilities. Unfortunately, there's not too much abuse in that, as "Sacrifice" is always part of the cost that you'd have to pay. Shame, that. A very neat idea, but there are a few layout issues, and the flavor is so-so.

Mechanics - 3
Flavor - 1
Total - 4

There's a 3 way tie between cloysterd, Stucco, and Chaoswurm. Personally my favorite card was Stucco's, BUT the card that best fits the "combos with Sundial" criteria was Chaoswurm. So, I'm going to give first place in this Create-a-Card to Chaoswurm.
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice cover of Journey to Nowhere.
Personally I would not have named it so similar, but who cares?

Congratulations and looking forward to cac77
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3