Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sundial of the Infinite

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Raybelfast

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im gonna go for a 1 word answer for this.

"Crap"
Kabelis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the type of card which is useless on its own, so it requires you to build around it. Building around 4 copies of a card is rarely worth it unless your deck can function decently without it (eg. birthing pod, though even that deck isn't too hot post rotation ) and the cards which work at 'abusive' levels with sundial are mostly not very good without it.

In older formats 2 card combos are supposed to win you the game, so yeah.. It's a cool card and it's possible it may find a home later though
magicman85

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might do ok in a Stifle/Phyrexian Dreadnaught deck so you dont have to rely on Stifle as much and you can always run Enlightened Tutor or Trinket Mage for the Dreadnaught. But overall I don't think Sundial is a top tier card.
Raybelfast

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feck it lets have a go

Im gonna go with a red blue nick ur dudes deck with sundial.

could be fun. Ill get home and flesh out a decklist.
J_R

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wat combos... i dont understand, this card is awful and does nothing
Raybelfast

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J_R the card has many interactions by removing triggers from the stack allowing slight but not overwhelming abuse.

Example: O-Ring + Venser
cast O-Ring too exile permanent. Use Venser too bounce O-Ring. with O-Ring's leave play trigger on the stack you use sundial too remove it from the stack leaving the permanent exiled forever.

Example: Mark Of Mutiny
At end of turn by having Mark's end of turn trigger removed from the stack. You keep the creature.

There are more but I'm not gonna go into them. Ill post a decklist for kicks later in the weekend
sc4rs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raybelfast wrote:

Example: Mark Of Mutiny
At end of turn by having Mark's end of turn trigger removed from the stack. You keep the creature.

But you don't keep the creature forever with Mark of Mutiny. Any "until end of turn" effects will end at the end of your opponent's turn, so Mark of Mutiny would only last until your opponent's turn ends, meaning you would save yourself from one attack with that creature. Whoopee. A sacrifice effect to kill the creature is a far better combo than Sundial.

sypor wrote:
Snapcaster mage now has doubled all the instants and sorceries in your deck...because now you can end the turn for you when he comes into play and now your ponder, cancel, and other things can be played through your opponent's turn.

Ending your turn when you cast a Snapcaster is the dumbest thing I've ever heard - Snapcaster has Flash. Why would you end your own turn to play your Cancel through their turn when you could...play Snapcaster on their turn and not pay a mana and skip half your turn? (P.S., like with Mark of Mutiny, it only lasts until the end of your opponent's turn, so it doesn't improve the card one bit.)

Again, to figure out what Sundial can and cannot break, here is an extremely informative link.
Conkisstador

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the best things to do with Sundail are: O-Ring, Act of Treason, Geist. You want to abuse the cards that have triggered "downside" abilities. I could see UW aggro with Geist and Venser and O-Ring using 2x sundial.
doc_morriar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i quite like seers sundial with mimic vat. maybe in a heartless summoning deck?
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you rather play 12 cards that don't do anything on their own instead of 4.

Any artifact has to ask itself whether it wants to die to Grudge or not been played at all. Running artifacts opens you up to a lot of 2 for 1. And artifacts that should do that to your deck should the heck be more relevant than a sundial.
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you actually read what i wrote?

The problem is neither Doom Blade nor Naturalize. It is Ancient Grudge.
This card not only kills what you want to do, where yes you are right everything can be undone, but it also stops you from doing it again.

And yes, cards, that run into popular hate should do something rather impressive than just ending your own turn.

And btw.: Who runs Demystify or Crush?

Why play magic? With your level of understanding of the matter, I would not be surprised if you prefer to quit rather than lose every single game.
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some things to clear this up:

First my initial entry targeted the dude who wanted to combine Sundial with Vat and summoning, who wasn't you as far as my eyes tell me.

Second you do not need to classify my arguments if you do not know nothing about the format i was talking about. If you use that style I have to asume you claim to know at least something.

Third use less smileys. That will make your texts look more mature.

Fourth I hope you will find your way into magic, but not via a Sundial at least if you really want to play type 2. What you do at a kitchen table ist utterly up to you. Tournament is about efficiency. And is more complex than someone new to magic might understand without deep analysis.
sc4rs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your opponent is good, they will not forget about the Cancel that you had to declare as a target when you played your Snapcaster Mage, and they will wait one more turn, play their 7/7, and kill you.

Instead, you can leave the Snapcaster in your hand, and then they will play their 7/7 not knowing if you're holding back a land and bluffing the counter, you counter their 7/7, and then you never need to deal with their 7/7 ever again.

Also, you still can't get around Grand Abolisher even if you play Snapcaster on your turn and end your turn early, because casting Cancel from your graveyard is still casting a spell.

Sundial doesn't do anything with Snapcaster Mage except make it cost 1 more mana and make your turn end earlier. Period.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2