Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Create a Card Round 73 - Past Meets Future

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
cloysterd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a land with Flash doesn't work. Flash affects when you can cast spells, but playing a land isn't a spell. And even if it did work being able to make a land drop on your opponent's turn with no cost or drawback is way too good to print. Also, how many entries does Mcleet get to make?

EDIT: Okay that's closer to printable, but remember that Forecast has to be done during your upkeep.
LordHawk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cloysterd wrote:
Having a land with Flash doesn't work. Flash affects when you can cast spells, but playing a land isn't a spell. And even if it did work being able to make a land drop on your opponent's turn with no cost or drawback is way too good to print. Also, how many entries does Mcleet get to make?

EDIT: Okay that's closer to printable, but remember that Forecast has to be done during your upkeep.

Yea fixed it.
blitzer2k7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Furnace of Rath

Legendary Land - Mountain Rare

All mountains gain "T: Target creature gains +1/+0 until end of turn."

Whenever a red creature would deal damage to a creature or player, it deals double that damage instead.
niteshade

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Menzoberranzan

Legendary land - Mythic

Hexproof

T sacrifice a creature and bbb to your mana pool

The road to power lies over the weak
jessica

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jhoira, Walker Between Worlds (0)
Planeswalker - Jhoira (0) Mythic

Suspend X-{X}{U}{R}. X can't be 0.

Whenever a time counter is removed from Jhoira while it's exiled, put X time counters on target permanent you control without vanishing and it gains vanishing, where X is the number of time counters on Jhoira.

When Jhoira enters the battlefield, remove a time counter from each permanent you control. Jhoira enters the battlefield with that many loyalty counters.

+1: Each player chooses a permanent he or she controls without vanishing. Put three time counters on each permanent chosen this way and they gain vanishing.

-X: Search your library for X nonland cards each with converted mana cost X or less and exile them. Put two time counters on each exiled card. If a card exiled this way doesn't have suspend, it gains suspend.

"You won't be needing that Forest, and... let's play a Goblin Game!"
sc4rs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to judge this early because I've got some free time, and there are plenty of entries already.
sc4rs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mcleetsauce wrote:

The concept of Entwining an activated ability is really neat. Unfortunately, this land ends up being even better than Ancient Tomb, and is really far too broken to actually see print. The ability to have a land that produces 2 mana with only a life drawback, and then to stop having the life drawback when needed (but still get the color fixing!) is too good. The name and picture are nice though.

Mechanics - 1
Flavor - 1.5
Overall - 2.5

Selkie wrote:
Kit-shu-me, The Eater of Worlds. 7 CMC

Legendary- Tribal Eldrazi artifact- Mythic

5- ~ becomes a 5/5 with Annihilator 5 till end of turn.

Created on Zendikar while the Eldrazi attacked, it soon became as deadly as they

It's a good card - it'd be a very good Treasure Mage target, and a Tribal Eldrazi artifact is great. The flavor is pretty good, especially the name. Unfortunately, artifacts-becoming-creatures isn't that unique of an idea, even if Annihilator has technically never been an ability on an artifact-turning-creature. Compare to Xanthic Statue, for instance.

Mechanics - 2
Flavor - 1.5
Overall - 3.5

cloysterd wrote:
Graveburrow Trow (Uncommon)
3{B/G}{B/G}
Creature - Troll
2/2

Retrace (You may cast this card from your graveyard by discarding a land card in addition to its other costs).

When Graveburrow Trow enters the battlefield, return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.

Unfortunately for the monster hunters of Shadowmoor, trows are nearly as good at burrowing out of graves as they are at burrowing into them.

This is a fantastic submission. Retrace on a green-black creature fits the color wheel perfectly, and giving it the added utility of getting additional creatures back makes it a really interesting card to consider in a control or Dredge strategy. It's appropriately costed for an uncommon and it's power level seems accurate compared to a Gravedigger, if a touch weak (probably could afford to be a bit stronger, maybe a 2/3 or 3/2 body, or another ability), and the flavor text is excellent. Nearly perfect.

Mechanics - 2.75
Flavor - 2
Total - 4.75

pseudodespot wrote:
Yamimaru, Center of Ki
Legendary Land (rare)

<this> enters the battlefield with a ki counter on it.

T: Add 1 to your mana pool for each ki counter on <this>

Grandeur --- Discard another card named <this>: Double the number of ki counters on <this>.

Nibbling on the source of the god's power will never be a good idea. But it might let you come up with a better one.

I like the idea of this a lot. It allows you to have a City of Traitors-esque opening at the cost of card disadvantage, and could be used in a pseudo-12post engine to create a lot of mana quickly. I think it might be a underpowered even in those strategies, though; getting copies into your hand might be difficult as Primeval Titan, the usual engine, puts them directly into play, and it is extremely susceptible to land destruction (Wasteland or Tectonic Edge especially). Its flavor fits in with the Kamigawa's block legendary theme though, which is great. One of the best-flavored submissions of the entire contest.

Mechanics - 2.5
Flavor - 2
Total - 4.5

CharlesT wrote:
Molten Mountain
Land - Mountain (Rare)
Molten Mountain enters the battlefield Tapped.
t: Add R to your mana pool.
At end of turn, if an opponent was dealt 7 combat damage or more this turn, flip Molten Mountain.
//
Valakut, the Eruptive Pinnacle
Legendary Land
t:Add R to your mana pool.
Attacking Creatures you control get +2/+0.

The idea of a flipping land is good, but this execution feels like a mash up of two existing cards (Spinerock Knoll and Quest for the Goblin Lord). Also, Valakut already existing as a land seems a little cheap for the flavor. I think this could have been more exciting/original.

Mechanics - 2
Flavor - 1
Total: 3

AxiomBlurr wrote:
Eternal Fire 1(R)(R)

Instant (Rare)

Cumulative Upkeep (R)

(If it is exiled, at the beginning of your upkeep put an age counter on this card, then put it in your graveyard unless you pay its upkeep cost for each age counter on it.)

When you play Eternal Flame exile it. If you paid the cumulative upkeep of Eternal Flame you may play it from exile once this turn without paying its mana cost.

Eternal Fire deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

This card seems a little overpowered. The ability to have 8 damage over 4 turns without even considering whether your have enough lands to pay for it, plus the ability for more as long as you can keep affording it, seems like a really severe clock for most decks to have to deal with for one card. It's like a Pyrostatic Pillar that, in exchange for a cumulative upkeep, can't be targeted or destroyed in any way. Plus it can target creatures to play control. This definitely would be a standard staple if it existed. The wording of the middle ability is also a bit wonky - there should be differentiation between "play" and "cast" so it doesn't try to re-exile itself from exile (not that it really matters). The name works really well with the ability, though, and I love the originality of making a spell have cumulative upkeep.

Mechanics - 2.25
Flavor - 1.75
Total - 4

Gademis wrote:
Newborn Plainswalker U1

Plainswalker - Uncommon

Level up: 1U Whenever Newborn Plainswalker level ups it gains a loyalty counter. 1 (this is the starting loyalty counter)

levels 1-3 -1: Draw a card, then discard a card

levels 4+ -3: Draw three cards and then discard two cards or a plainswalker card.

"Buy my services three times and I will throw one of them for free."

As neat as it would be to have a pauper planeswalker, this doesn't seem like it. It's essentially a sorcery-speed Compulsion that can be attacked, and I have a gut feeling that this essentially just gets attacked and dies immediately, or maybe survives one turn and is an attackable Merfolk Looter. The "ultimate," if you want to call it that, takes far too long to come out for ultimately a really expensive Compulsive Research. I think the power level needs a bit of a boost (which is saying a lot considering it's the first non-rare Planeswalker.) The flavor is good, though the name and flavor text don't really relate.

Mechanics - 1.5
Flavor - 1.25
Total - 2.75

Mcleetsauce wrote:

I know I didn't explicitly say "don't submit multiple cards" but that's pretty much a default rule, so I'm not going to judge this one (besides, half of it has usability issues that have been pointed out - granting flying post-blockers doesn't really do anything).

Balaviaris wrote:
Phyrexian blast RB

Instant - uncommon

Infect

Phyrexian blast deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

"Sometimes, I hear their hymn at night. The worst part is I am beginning to understand it..." - Auriok Survivor.

This is a really cool utility uncommon that they probably should've printed. The power level is spot on and I think the use of infect on a spell is about as good as it could be. The name is a bit generic, though; everything with infect is already Phyrexian. In addition, the flavor text suggests that the card is something completely different - some sort of song or hymn, not a fiery, infectious blast.

Mechanics - 3
Flavor - 1
Total - 4

Lostwanderer wrote:
Zap cannon 6
Artifact-Contraption (R)
T: deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
If a spelll or ability targets a single contraption it targets all contraptions instead.
Storm

"MASS PRODUCTION!!!-Xalkor, Derranged alchemist.

Storm on a permanent is really interesting, and you obviously took pains to keep it from being overpowered. I think you succeeded - it's definitely printable, though it essentially ends up being a junk rare since most of the time you'd really rather be playing Grapeshot in combo. Again, though, the name is really generic, and the all-caps flavor text doesn't read "actual card" to me.

Mechanics - 2.5
Flavor - 0.75
Total - 3.25

LordHawk wrote:
Shrine of Divinity
Legendary Land

Shroud
When Shrine of Divinity enters the battlefield, choose a creature type. Put X counters on it where X is equal to the number of creatures of the chosen type you control.

[T]: Add a [G] Or a [W] to your mana pool.
[G/W][T], Remove X counters from ~: Choose one: Add X G mana to your mana pool, or add X W mana to your mana pool. When Shrine of Divinity has 0 counters on it, Sacrifice Shrine of Divinity.

" He Protected our kind, then was gone."

The ability is neat, as is a land that cares about creature types. However, adding shroud to a land isn't really that creative, and the land doesn't even really care about it's new ability at all - it feels tacked on. The flavor is pretty good though.

Mechanics - 1.5
Flavor - 1.75
Total - 3.25

blitzer2k7 wrote:
The Great Furnace of Rath

Legendary Land - Mountain Rare

All mountains gain "T: Target creature gains +1/+0 until end of turn."

Whenever a red creature would deal damage to a creature or player, it deals double that damage instead.

This technically has abilities that no other land in Magic has. However, they're not keyword abilities, it's a land that doesn't produce mana (which Wizards has stated it's not making anymore) and the second ability and name are sort of ripping off existing cards.

Mechanics - 1
Flavor - 1
Total - 2

Mr_Weebles wrote:
Silver Gnat - 1 (Rare)
Artifact Creature - Insect

Flying
Hideaway

3: You may play the exiled card without paying its mana cost if this creature dealt combat damage this turn

0/1

This is a really nifty card. I always like creatures that you need to "help" in order to get them to have an effect, like Bloodshot/Greenhilt Trainee. This is no exception. I don't quite think "gnat" when I see this card though. It's like a trojan horse of some kind, that hits something and then something else pops out. The flavor is lacking but the card itself is really awesome and it's probably the card I'd love to play around with the most, especially in limited, so kudos.

Mechanics - 3
Flavor - 1
Total - 4

niteshade wrote:
Menzoberranzan

Legendary land - Mythic

Hexproof

T sacrifice a creature and bbb to your mana pool

The road to power lies over the weak

Another card that feels like a ripoff of an existing card (Infernal Plunge/Culling the Weak) and that is a land with Hexproof tacked on for no good reason (like the land that had Shroud earlier). I like the flavor text though, and neat name.

Mechanics - 1.25
Flavor - 2
Total - 3.25

khara wrote:
Kakashi of the hidden leaf 3UU
planeswalker - kakashi M

Morph {2UU} (You may cast this face down as a 2/2 creature for {3}. Turn it face up any time for its morph cost.)

As cardname turn face-up prevent all damage that was dealt to it this turn, and its loyalty becomes 3.

+1: target creature becomes a copy of target creature.

-2: gain control of target creature, that creature has "When this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it."

0: draw a card,turn <cardname> face-down.

loyalty 4

It's certainly new, but it seems really complicated and I'm having a hard time getting a flavor for what the Planeswalker is or cares about based on the abilities. The copying ability is a bit weirdly worded (there should be an "another" in there) and the second ability seems like the one that most people will care to use - it's probably overpowered, to be honest. I think the ability to use this to steal a creature the first turn you play it, then the next turn flip it face down to draw a card, immediately flip it face up for 2UU and steal another creature is too good.

Mechanics - 2.25
Flavor - 1.5
Total - 3.75

jessica wrote:
Jhoira, Walker Between Worlds (0)
Planeswalker - Jhoira (0) Mythic

Suspend X-{X}{U}{R}. X can't be 0.

Whenever a time counter is removed from Jhoira while it's exiled, put X time counters on target permanent you control without vanishing and it gains vanishing, where X is the number of time counters on Jhoira.

When Jhoira enters the battlefield, remove a time counter from each permanent you control. Jhoira enters the battlefield with that many loyalty counters.

+1: Each player chooses a permanent he or she controls without vanishing. Put three time counters on each permanent chosen this way and they gain vanishing.

-X: Search your library for X nonland cards each with converted mana cost X or less and exile them. Put two time counters on each exiled card. If a card exiled this way doesn't have suspend, it gains suspend.

"You won't be needing that Forest, and... let's play a Goblin Game!"

There are a lot of issues with this card. First of all, it should probably have a "this card is red and blue" clause. Second of all, I'm assuming it has no casting cost instead of costing 0. Thirdly, the first ability does one of two things, depending on how you meant it to be worded: it either forces you to sacrifice X permanents by the time Jhoria comes into play, or it means that Jhoria "saves" all the permanents she gave vanishing while suspended by removing their last Vanishing counter before the ability can trigger and force them to be sacrificed. Either it's REALLY devastating to your own cards, or it's kinda pointless. Either way the power level is not very high, as its first ability is even between both players and it basically takes forever to ever do anything that doesn't hurt yourself. The flavor text is also kind of random. I don't really get it.

Mechanics - 1.25
Flavor - 1
Total - 2.25

ck3gds wrote:
Sunlit Cavern

Land (rare)

At the beginning of your upkeep, put a time counter on Sunlit Cavern.

When there are three or more time counters on Sunlit Cavern, transform it.

{2}, {T}: Choose target creature. Add to your mana pool an amount of {W} equal to its toughness.

Where your desire for enlightenment is fulfilled.

///

Moonwashed Cavern

Land (rare)

At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from Moonwashed Cavern.

When there are no time counters on Moonwashed Cavern, transform it.

{2}, {T}: Choose target creature. Add to your mana pool an amount of {B} equal to its power.

Where your lust for power is fulfilled.

This is a really cool flipping land. I think the night-day mechanic might be used in a similar way to this in one of the later sets in Innistrad block - we'll see whether or not that happens. Regardless, though, I think the power level is pretty appropriate for what Wizards prints, though it's underpowered in general. It's a bit similar to Crypt of Agadeem and Cabal Coffers, though I think that's intentional for power level purposes, which is understandable. The flavor texts are good too. A very good submission.

Mechanics - 2.5
Flavor - 2
Total - 4.5

yajiko wrote:
here's my take on a split card.

Koth the endbringer 1BR
planeswalker -koth

-1: each player sacrifices a non-mountain land.

-3: <cardname> deals 3 damage to target creature and its controller.

"everything burns eventually"
(3)
-----------------------------------------------------
Koth the firestarter 1WR
planeswalker -koth

+1: search your library for a mountain and put it into play tapped.

0: target creature you control gains haste and lifelink.

"flourish with fire"
(2)

I'm not quite sure how a split permanent would work factually, but let's ignore that for the moment because the idea is cool nonetheless. Because of the prohibitive 3 color requirement and the very specific land-related abilities, I don't think that both sides would ever see play in one deck. I think the black side might be a bit too good, as any deck resolving this on turn 3 on mountain, mountain, black source is going to get a huge advantage from killing 3 lands for the price of one, likely before any creatures are down, against any non-red deck. The white side feels like a good power balance, but searching up lands feels green rather than red, and the other ability isn't really powerful enough - it probably could be +1 too, honestly. The flavor texts do differentiate between the two sides nicely, though.

Mechanics - 2
Flavor - 2
Total - 4

First place: cloysterd
Second place (tie): pseudodespot
Second place (tie): ck3gds
Honorable mentions: yajiko, Mr_Weebles, Balaviaris, and AxiomBlurr

Congrats to Cloysterd!
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the quick judging.
I liked that Troll too. That 2/2 is probably correct. They do tend to play something like this save at wizards, why not here.
But you are right it could have been a little more powerfull, but we are still talking about an uncommon so it is fine.

That is the exact reason why i am satisfied with my card. You hit the nail on it being a little too weak. For Kamigawa power level it might work, but over all it is too dependaple on a second copy to be worth considering it over a basic.
But on the other hand this could get very ugly very fast, once you start profilerating this thing.
So I was in a pinch there. At least you recognized the problem with the balancing therefor i know i was almost right with the outcome.

I guess this card would see print this way, but won't define any format. So I am satisfied with it. Creating something broken is not the intention of this contest. I had to consider the possible abuses that card could undergo and 1-2 Voltcharges do some nasty things with it. Therefore it was a little too weak on its own.
sc4rs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pseudodespot wrote:
Thank you for the quick judging.
I liked that Troll too. That 2/2 is probably correct. They do tend to play something like this save at wizards, why not here.
But you are right it could have been a little more powerfull, but we are still talking about an uncommon so it is fine.

That is the exact reason why i am satisfied with my card. You hit the nail on it being a little too weak. For Kamigawa power level it might work, but over all it is too dependaple on a second copy to be worth considering it over a basic.
But on the other hand this could get very ugly very fast, once you start profilerating this thing.
So I was in a pinch there. At least you recognized the problem with the balancing therefor i know i was almost right with the outcome.

I guess this card would see print this way, but won't define any format. So I am satisfied with it. Creating something broken is not the intention of this contest. I had to consider the possible abuses that card could undergo and 1-2 Voltcharges do some nasty things with it. Therefore it was a little too weak on its own.

I hadn't even thought about how cool your card is with proliferate. Whoops. I'm not sure if it would've mattered in the end but lots of props - you definitely considered all aspects and you made it really tough in judging.
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just giggling like a mad man atm, since the winnig card is just plain hilarious with Dryad Arbor. Very Happy

And something more: The troll is a creature for value not for beatings. One more reason of it not being a 3/2 or something.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2