Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MonoGreen still alive and kickin'

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Mcleetsauce

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: MonoGreen still alive and kickin' Reply with quote

I've been playing MonoGreen for the last month and a half at live tournaments around town, and it still manages to pack a punch on the current Standard. I do mourn the loss of Obstinate Baloth and Avenger of Zendikar, along with Beastmaster Ascension and Garruk Wildspeaker, but adapting to the rotation has proven to be a bit of a challenge. After last nights performance at a "Win A Box" $10 tourney, I am still lovin it! Ending up taking 5th out of 16 people attending with a record of 3-1, I know I did well. Now, here's the list of my MonoGreen:

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
22 [B] Forest (3)

// Creatures
4 [MBS] Viridian Emissary
1 [M12] Primeval Titan
2 [MBS] Thrun, the Last Troll
4 [M12] Dungrove Elder
2 [M12] Skinshifter
3 [R] Llanowar Elves
2 [M12] Acidic Slime
4 [7E] Birds of Paradise

// Spells
1 [M12] Garruk, Primal Hunter
4 [NPH] Beast Within
3 [MBS] Green Sun's Zenith
2 [TE] Rampant Growth
4 [TE] Overrun
2 [MBS] Lead the Stampede

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [MBS] Creeping Corrosion
SB: 1 [SOM] Asceticism
SB: 2 [ISD] Bramblecrush
SB: 3 [ISD] Naturalize
SB: 2 [SOM] Ratchet Bomb
SB: 2 [NPH] Dismember
SB: 2 [M12] Elixir of Immortality
SB: 1 [MBS] Sword of Feast and Famine
SB: 1 [NPH] Sword of War and Peace

Round 1 - WUB Artifact Jank: Both games the opponent had rarely cast anything, 3 artifacts both games. Game 1 was pretty damn fast. Turn 2 Dungrove Elder proved to be quite a boot to the head, getting bigger each turn, thanks to a Rampant Growth. Kept swinging with the beefy Elder each turn proved to be harsh, and so I take game 1. Game 2 was not that much different, just a turn later for Dungrove Elder, and turn 4 Elder as well. End result; 2-0 sweep.

Round 2 - Bant Pod: Game 1 went to the Pod player because I couldn't draw answers to a hard cast Skaab Ruinator on turn 5, and a Frost Titan on turn 6. Not much later that game ended. Game 2 was a little better, but close. Again, the Pod got the best of me because of a sorely timed Dismember on a Ruinator, so he kept using Phantasmal's on it. Swept, 2-0.

Round 3 - Solar Flare: I had to pace myself on this match. Game 1 went smooth and fairly quickly for me. Turn 2 Dungrove, turn 3 Beast Within, and turn 4 Slime (both hitting the W/x lands to steer away from a Day of Judgement. He also kinda got mana screwed from the beginning, missing 2 land drops in a row. Game 2 he got me hard, never missing a land, dropping Liliana turn 3 to a single Dungrove. Wurmcoil did me in for game 2 going to him. Game 3 went about the same as game 1, without the Slime. Doomblade to Skinshifter's face set me back a turn since I had 2 Elders waiting to be cast, and a late game Beast Within on a came-into-play-tapped Glacial Fortress at end of turn won me that match with a 4/4 Elder and an Emissary in play. 2-1

Round 4 - Red Deck Wins: Close games throughout the match! Game 1 went to him with a Shrine at 7 counters and a Volley for 5, ouch! Game 2 he got creature screwed, and Phoenix screwed (thankfully). Dungrove kept slamming for 5 and a Slime killing a Shrine helped quite a bit. Turn 1 Grim stuck until a turn 6 Koth hit, Dismembering the 4/4 Mountain in response to declaring attackers. Then I used Overrun for an 8/8 Elder and a 4/4 Shifter, Shifter going after the Koth with 4 counters, and the Elder smashing through to the face. Game 3 he was mana screwed, missing a few land drops, and with his last turn got me down to 2 life while using an Elixir turn 3, but I swung for an 11/11 trample Dungrove Elder and a 9/9 Prime Time (Primeval Titan)!

Now, I feel that I can use a few more tweaks, maybe I should try getting my hands on a set of Solemn's and another Prime Time. I am still confident and content with this deck, since I've been playing MonoGreen since Urza's block first game out! Hopefully you guys can throw in a few pointers. It would be greatly appreciated!

Thanksfor takin' a look d(^_^d)
Kabelis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been playing Monogreen for quite a while before rotation, it's definitely underrated. After rotation though, it feels really clunky against most decks. RDW is a lot tougher to beat, and various swarm (U/W beatdown, Tokens etc.) decks are way faster and overwhelm you while you durdle around. Not to mention that decks are actually running edict effects now (Liliana, Tribute to Hunger).
Overrun is no Overwhelming Stampede either.

Lead the stampede is pretty bad here. Without ~30ish creatures it's just a worse divination on average.

Garruk is an all-star from my testing. I think you want at least 3.

22 lands seems too low. I'm the guy who cuts lands more than I should and getting flooded with mana producing creatures sucks, but considering how much of a metagame RDW is, depending on your mana dudes to accelerate you feels a bit greedy.

Personally I'd recommend the standard 24 maybe just cutting lead the stampedes. 22 may be ok without overruns and skinshifters, but you really want to reach 5th land drop with 4 overruns. Tapping your mana producing creatures to cast overrun on turn 4-5 will usually mean you only get 6 extra power and that won't cut it against most decks if you want to alpha strike ftw. Overruns seem pretty underwhelming in general to be honest.

There's also a possibility to splash 1 mountain and 2-3 Kessig Wolf Runs. You have 4x BoP / 4x Emissaries / 2x growths for red sources and giving dungroves trample is a big game. Dungrove's biggest problem is getting chumped by random stuff (timely reinforcements, leftover mana accelerators in pod etc.) and then getting outclassed by wurmcoil/titans. I guess overrun is there for that reason, but from my experience it's a little bit too slow.
Mcleetsauce

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kabelis wrote:
Been playing Monogreen for quite a while before rotation, it's definitely underrated. After rotation though, it feels really clunky against most decks. RDW is a lot tougher to beat, and various swarm (U/W beatdown, Tokens etc.) decks are way faster and overwhelm you while you durdle around. Not to mention that decks are actually running edict effects now (Liliana, Tribute to Hunger).
Overrun is no Overwhelming Stampede either.

Lead the stampede is pretty bad here. Without ~30ish creatures it's just a worse divination on average.

Garruk is an all-star from my testing. I think you want at least 3.

22 lands seems too low. I'm the guy who cuts lands more than I should and getting flooded with mana producing creatures sucks, but considering how much of a metagame RDW is, depending on your mana dudes to accelerate you feels a bit greedy.

Personally I'd recommend the standard 24 maybe just cutting lead the stampedes. 22 may be ok without overruns and skinshifters, but you really want to reach 5th land drop with 4 overruns. Tapping your mana producing creatures to cast overrun on turn 4-5 will usually mean you only get 6 extra power and that won't cut it against most decks if you want to alpha strike ftw. Overruns seem pretty underwhelming in general to be honest.

There's also a possibility to splash 1 mountain and 2-3 Kessig Wolf Runs. You have 4x BoP / 4x Emissaries / 2x growths for red sources and giving dungroves trample is a big game. Dungrove's biggest problem is getting chumped by random stuff (timely reinforcements, leftover mana accelerators in pod etc.) and then getting outclassed by wurmcoil/titans. I guess overrun is there for that reason, but from my experience it's a little bit too slow.

Overwhelming Stampede is no longer in Standard, my friend. Other than that, your selections seem to be of great value and I'll run them for testing.
P_P4E

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lead the stampede in your deck is literally the worst lead the stampede I've ever seen attempted.

Any 2 cards would be better.
Mcleetsauce

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P_P4E wrote:
lead the stampede in your deck is literally the worst lead the stampede I've ever seen attempted.

I've never had a bad draw from Lead the Stampede.
Mcleetsauce

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so here's an updated list of my Big Green:

// Lands
1 [ZEN] Mountain (1a)
18 [ZEN] Forest (1a)
3 [ISD] Kessig Wolf Run

// Creatures
2 [MBS] Viridian Emissary
4 [M12] Solemn Simulacrum
2 [M11] Primeval Titan
4 [M12] Dungrove Elder
4 [M12] Skinshifter
1 [M12] Acidic Slime
2 [GTW] Llanowar Elves
4 [FBP] Birds of Paradise

// Spells
3 [TE] Overrun
3 [M12] Garruk, Primal Hunter
4 [NPH] Beast Within
3 [MBS] Green Sun's Zenith

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [M12] Acidic Slime
SB: 3 [ON] Naturalize
SB: 2 [ISD] Bramblecrush
kendiggy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lone mountain helps quite a bit, it allows you to splash for Arc Trail in the board to deal with pesky but popular Mirran Crusaders. Also, a lone viridian corrupter in the board to search up with GSZ is nice. As long as you're playing a mountain, I prefer just a lone Kessig Wolf's Run myself. And, due to the popularity of decks like U/B control and Solar Flare and such, I like to play three Bramblecrush main and one board. That tempo is so important: turn one bird, turn two dungrove, turn three bramblecrush, turn four acidic slime. Or even turn two Beast Within, you'll recover from the 3/3 beats you'll take for a few turns. There's nothing like playing aggro and being that far ahead of the control player.

As far as Lead the Stampede goes, one problem I've had with this deck is it runs out of steam more often that you'd like. I play 3x Garruk Primal Hunters main, but they never seem to come up at the opportune time and he's very conditional. I almost never want to make a 3/3, but almost always have to just to protect him. Depends, the token generation is important against a control deck, I think inexpensive cost of Lead the stampede would be better against an aggro deck. So I guess it could be a metagame call. I'd have to give it a shot.
Mcleetsauce

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all my games, I've only rarely pulled out Garruk, but when I did I had to do what you had to do; protect him. He became a pain in trying to keep alive, so I've decided to cut him and throw in a couple Engines. So far, testing with the Wurmcoils proves to be a bit better with the lifelink.

// Lands
20 [ZEN] Forest (1a)
2 [ISD] Kessig Wolf Run
1 [ZEN] Mountain (1a)

// Creatures
2 [MBS] Viridian Emissary
4 [M12] Solemn Simulacrum
2 [M11] Primeval Titan
4 [M12] Dungrove Elder
2 [M12] Skinshifter
1 [M12] Acidic Slime
2 [GTW] Llanowar Elves
4 [FBP] Birds of Paradise
2 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine

// Spells
3 [TE] Overrun
4 [NPH] Beast Within
2 [MBS] Green Sun's Zenith
3 [ISD] Bramblecrush

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [M12] Acidic Slime
SB: 2 [ON] Naturalize
SB: 1 [ISD] Bramblecrush
SB: 2 [ISD] Tree of Redemption
P_P4E

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mcleetsauce wrote:
P_P4E wrote:

I've never had a bad draw from Lead the Stampede.

This is fair. I think you either edited your decklist since i read this post, or i miscounted how many creatures you had. its still on the low end of what I would attempt, but its fine. I think cutting 1 lead makes sense. It always makes sense.
Ashmatan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the love of God, if you want card draw in mono-green, use Hunters Instinct. 3 mana is so little to pay to draw like 4 cards. Its like harmonize on crack.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1