Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What would you pick?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited

ISD Boosterpack Pack1Pick1
W - Villagers of Estwald/Howlpack of Estwald
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
U - Skaab Goliath
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
U - Lumberknot
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
U - Purify the Grave
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
R - Evil Twin
62%
 62%  [ 17 ]
C - Kessig Wolf
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
C - Ancient Grudge
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
C - Spare from Evil
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
C - Vampiric Fury
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
C - Fortress Crab
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
C - Village Bell-Ringer
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
C - Claustrophobia
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
C - Curse of Oblivion
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
C - Deranged Assistant
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 27

derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: What would you pick? Reply with quote

Today I was discussing ISD Boosterdraft with a few friends for a long time. We had the following pack where it's really hard to make a right first pick: what would you pick?
cloysterd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for Evil Twin. It's probably not the correct pick, but it's fun and I just love the card.
DonDiggy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for Claustrophobia. Its a pretty nice Removal. Okay, it forces you to opt for some deep U, still better than being forced into UB with the Twin-Pick. And it would really hurt to keep it in SB...
GoneBananas
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

id take evil twin, its the most powerful card in my opinion and can end durdles by killing their best creature. skaab golaith and claustrophia as well as lumberknot are close after that. i could see taking any of those as well.
Conkisstador

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NMS has spoiled players to "always take the best card." This is a classic example where 4/6 of the best cards are Blue, and thus there is no reasonable Blue card to pick besides Evil Twin in a BXu deck. The Green creatures are both solid, but in this pack I'd rather ship several UG decks to my left and take Kessig Wolf. It's obviously not the greatest card, but it IS GOOD, and keeps your signal strong. Know that WRb are all going to be open, and even Green, so there's Wolf decks, Vampire decks, or Human decks available and all are solid.
[paradox]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would pick either the goliath or evil twin. u could easily splash for evil twin in this set if u end up in only one of his colors and the goliath is crazy obv.
sc4rs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conkisstador wrote:
NMS has spoiled players to "always take the best card." This is a classic example where 4/6 of the best cards are Blue, and thus there is no reasonable Blue card to pick besides Evil Twin in a BXu deck. The Green creatures are both solid, but in this pack I'd rather ship several UG decks to my left and take Kessig Wolf. It's obviously not the greatest card, but it IS GOOD, and keeps your signal strong. Know that WRb are all going to be open, and even Green, so there's Wolf decks, Vampire decks, or Human decks available and all are solid.

There are no solid black cards in the pack either, and taking Evil Twin intending to splash blue for it in a BXu deck is a perfectly fine strategy for p1p1. It'll be just a slightly weaker signal because of a missing rare instead of a missing common, but you still are passing a pack that doesn't have any quality cards of the color you're mainly intending to be in. There's absolutely no reason you can't splash blue off of Traveler's Amulet or Shimmering Grotto, and Kessig Wolf's card quality does not at all compare to Evil Twin, in my opinion.

Evil Twin also gives you the opportunity to table one of those 4 good blue cards in the pack if the huge clump of them scares off your neighbors from committing to it, as well.
Ashmatan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a tough pick. skaab goliath is enormous. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and pick the pseudo removal spell/blocker/combat trick Village Bell-Ringer. At cmc of 3, he is castable, common, and has a big butt.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Options:
Evil Twin: Clones are fairly bad in limited, there is hardly ever anything worth copying. Evil Twin compounds the problem by having the double colored cost, but the removal inclusion demands consideration.

Kessig Wolf: So mediocre. Taking a 23rd card with a first pick feels very wrong.

Village Bell-Ringer: Love him, but should see plenty more. He come sin 2nd in my opinion.

Claustrophobia: Bad removal for a bad price in a color we're going to get cut in. No thanks.

Lumberknot: If you can stall for a bit, he is absolutely a win condition on his own. This is my pick, but it was extremely close.
clemage
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evile twin is a removal and a conditional victory(kill the opponent spoiler and use it). It's the opposite of an overkill card, it makes you win game that you would have lost without it.
In the worst case, it will just copy a creature, that not that bad. I'll pick it.
Egren

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Twin is comparable to Mind Control.

98% of the time it's a Mind Control for 1 more mana in 1 more color that also makes you lose one attack to make it into a true mind control. Also, it can't 2-for-1 when aimed towards a legend.

What it does do that mind control doesn't is being able to kill several of the same card. But that probably means you're copying a common, and I'd prefer mind controlling their bomb any time than 3-for-1ing some common fillers.

Therefore, it's alot worse than Mind Control, but still a very good card. a 2-for-1 is a 2-for-1.

I'd pick the Goliath though and hope I don't face the guy with Evil Twin.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1