Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incorrect Sealed Cardnames

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Incorrect Sealed Cardnames Reply with quote

I'm sure anyone who goes in IRC Chat knows my feelings about this, but I'd like to get it out to as many people as possible.

These incorrect sealed names are a bad idea. Yes, there are ways around it, but why should we need to do them? Magic-league should not cater to the single masterbase which can't manage to get card names right. And most people who show up to the master on Sunday will not have time to download a new masterbase or edit 20 cardnames on their own.

Most people I've spoken to simply say "just go fix your own and don't worry about everyone else." But is that really an attitude we want to foster? And even if you do want to make it every man for himself, why not insist on card names matching Gatherer as has always been done?

Even the patch which works with the incorrect names is a shoddy thing. Instead of putting both sides of the text on a single card, it puts both sides of the text on *half* of a card. You have to download an additional program to extract it and such things are known for having riders attached to them - viruses, advertising programs, things which search your computer to find your interests, etc.

In conclusion, please put the names of cards in the sealed generator back to gatherer standard. When we asked for both sides of the card, it was for both sides of the text, not both sides of the name. This change makes playing in sealed tournaments difficult for everyone involved.
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Official word from magic-league:
Magic-League has no affiliation with any softwares such as MWS or Apprentice and is not a source for help with these, including patches addons, pictures or similar with it.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is precisely my point. If you aren't affiliated with anything at all, why force us to use a specific patch?
niknight

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can download and use any patch for any application you wish. At the end of the day, your code must match the one listed on the site. If this means that you need to alter the card names in your play application... so be it.
syspunk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sorry but that is a joke. M-L needs to stop being half-assed about this. clearly MWS is the program of choice for M-L league players. you cant say "we support no program" and then say "your patch must match what we use (which is MWS)". i have been disqualified from so many sealed tournies because of this nonsense its making me not wanna bother anymore. its not just innistrad, ive had this problem with cube sealed too. and im always told the same thing. "go dl the masterbase from slightlymagic.net" which is the one i use to begin with. M-L needs to put out it's own masterbases/patches that match their card database on site. this is the ONLY way this problem gets solved.
pugz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That is precisely my point. If you aren't affiliated with anything at all, why force us to use a specific patch?

In terms of patch, they have let it be known that the slightlymagic database is the one they are going to use. If you want it changed, find out who hosts the one on slightlymagic and send them a nice email explaining why you'd like to see names changed.
tchiseen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... or you could just make your own patch ...

I'm pretty sure M-L isn't your god-given right. The people are run this community aren't getting paid and its not their job to make you happy. You don't like how things are run around here? Tough titties. Go and start your own online community. You can use whatever software and whatever masterbates you want.

TLDR; blame WotC for shitting on the storied history of MTG by printing double-sided cards. It's their fault we have this problem in the first place.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1