Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UWb Draw-Go

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: UWb Draw-Go Reply with quote

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [MBS] Inkmoth Nexus
6 [M12] Island (1)
2 [INN] Plains (2)
2 [M12] Drowned Catacomb
1 [INN] Swamp (2)
4 [M12] Glacial Fortress
3 [SOM] Seachrome Coast
2 [SOM] Darkslick Shores

// Creatures
4 [INN] Snapcaster Mage

// Spells
1 [MBS] Sword of Feast and Famine
4 [INN] Dissipate
2 [NPH] Dismember
1 [M12] Elixir of Immortality
4 [INN] Think Twice
4 [M12] Ponder
4 [M12] Mana Leak
4 [INN] Forbidden Alchemy
1 [MBS] Blue Sun's Zenith
3 [M12] Day of Judgment
2 [MBS] White Sun's Zenith
1 [M12] Timely Reinforcements
1 [NPH] Sword of War and Peace

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [MBS] Sword of Feast and Famine
SB: 3 [M12] Timely Reinforcements
SB: 1 [NPH] Sword of War and Peace
SB: 2 [SOM] Nihil Spellbomb
SB: 2 [M12] Azure Mage
SB: 2 [NPH] Torpor Orb
SB: 2 [MBS] Divine Offering
SB: 2 [M12] Gideon Jura

I have been working on this deck for quite some time now tuning it the way I like. This used to be straight UB however to improve my game against aggro I changed to white and used black as a splash for dismembers and alchemy (and spellbomb is a perk). So here is a rundown of my deck

CA:
4 think twice/ponder/alchemy: these cards are in here for obvious reasons, they help me dig to my answers incredibly fast (I think wizards may have gone a little overboard with the quality of instant speed draw that they have given control players to work with.

1 USZ: I LOVE this card md. It is an instant that draws you around 4-5 cards at the end of your opponents turn. Against control I would say it is like cruel ultimatum, you just drown them in CA. Against aggro it is a refill at the gas station after you have emptied the board and you both have like 2 cards in hand. The thing I love best about it is that I gain that much power from only one card slot, I am simply amazed.

Countermagic:
4 mana leak/4 dissapate: mana leak is obvious, as for dissapate, I used to run 3 dissapate and 2 negate, but negate isn't very strong against aggro so I dropped them and went to 4 dissapate. In this format the exile part is actually quite strong, especially against things like chandra's phoenix or other cards with flashback.

Removal:
2 dismembers/3 doj: No need for more then this with snapcaster's and all that CA, doj is the most efficient board sweeper in the format, and dismember is the most efficient instant speed removal in the format so there ya go.

Win cons:

2 WSZ/1 sword of faf&wap: This is the beauty of my list right here, all of my win conditions (sans sword of wap) allow me to keep my mana up for counter magic which is CRITICAL in the control mirror and very important in the aggro mu. 90% of the time, a control mirror will come down to one big turn. In that turn one player will attempt to drop his or her win condition and protect it while the other player attempts to counter or destroy it. The usual cadidates for UBW control decks are 6 mana creatures however they suffer from 2 fatal flaws, 1 you must cast them durring your main phase, 2 they dont leave you a lot of mana to protect them with. WSZ does not suffer from the first problem since it is an instant, if you lose the counter war then you are still in good shape since you get to untap before your opponent gets a chance to slam down his or her win condition. If it doesn't get countered then you untap and can protect your cats with ALL of your mana (another good use of WSZ is dropping them mid combat against aggro to work as a fog/wrath). Sword of faf is a bit more controversial for some reason, yes there aren't many creatures however you only need one (usually inkmoth nexus, which is a 4 turn clock), now sword of faf must be cast at sorcery speed however it only costs 3 mana to play and the creatures that you equip it too either cannot be countered, or come down at instant speed so you will have enough mana to protect it (also if you can make it connect then you get all your mana back and hurt your opponents ability to fight back, sword of faf is quite a backbreaker in the control mirror right now.

as for sword of wap, that slot is a tad bit of an experiment to see if it can help against mono red. you usually have a ton of cards in hand so the life gain may be able to help you stay out of burn range. We will see.

extras:
1 timely 1 elixer 4 snapcaster: timely is a meta call, it's mostly there for aggro decks, I like it a lot, and is awesome with snapcaster, elixer is a card I like to have in all of my control decks, it is very nice against aggro, especially one's with burn, and it makes sure that I never run out of cards (which is quite possible in the control mirror) I like having it in my deck, it's sometimes quite funny when it wins me games and my opponents just go "it makes no sense for you to have that card in your deck!"

then there is snapcaster...honestly it's the best card in my deck but I feel really dirty playing with it. He is disgustingly powerful, he reminds me of stoneforge mystic with batterskull. With all this card draw and counter magic, snapcaster just makes the deck SOOOOO much more consistent then it should be. He makes this deck top tier and all, but he is way too good.

sb is still in the works, but right now it's alright. As always questions and comments are appreciated, let me know what you guys think

-Aqualad33
Shooter
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ponder does not grant CA. It is also far from obvious, since it is awful without ways of getting rid with the other 1-2 cards on top, just like it happens in your deck.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shooter wrote:
Ponder does not grant CA. It is also far from obvious, since it is awful without ways of getting rid with the other 1-2 cards on top, just like it happens in your deck.

fair point, ponder is card selection, not advantage. However the card selection that it offers is very useful. I think you are looking at ponder the wrong way, in the early turns ponder lets you set up your future turns (ie, when do you want to draw which land or which spell). durring the later turns it does not have very much of an impact on your mana so it lets you dig a little more then your opponent (control mirror) or lets you dig for an answer (against aggro), also know that those other two cards that you wish you could have gotten rid of would have been drawn anyways had you played something other then ponder however this time you would have had to draw them in the wrong order. Also remember that if they are all bad cards, or they are just not good enough, ponder does let you just shuffle them back instead of wasting three turns drawing those cards, also if you really want one card but the other two are junk (although there isn't much junk in this deck), you can just use forbidden alchemy to bin them. All in all ponder is quite good.
ncgeniusbrad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are a lot of things to point out.

inkmoth nexus- colorless land in a 3 color deck which has a rough time getting mana as is cannot be right.

elixer and snapcaster seem like a nombo

ponder is in fact aweful.
BSZ is not good here either bc u have enough instant speed draw like think twice and forbidden alchemy.

the swords with only 8 creatures 10 with zenith seems terrible

also SB torpor orb makes ur snapcaster mage aweful as well. it appears this deck will just draw into draw spells and counterspells and die to actual creatures and what not. just saying u should look into making it a better deck instead of value through mage.
TacoMaster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ponder is TERRIBLE in this deck. It's a moderately average card early game and a terrible card late game. Oh, a Dismember and 2 lands... I sure need that Dismember... Oh, I lost over the next two turns. Too bad I wasn't running a good card. Sad Elixir is equally terrible. I get the idea... Crap, all my Snapcasters and cool shit is dead... But meh.

If you want a cool finisher, Sorin's Vengeance. Pew-Pew, you're dead. ^_^
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncgeniusbrad wrote:
there are a lot of things to point out.

inkmoth nexus- colorless land in a 3 color deck which has a rough time getting mana as is cannot be right.

elixer and snapcaster seem like a nombo

ponder is in fact aweful.
BSZ is not good here either bc u have enough instant speed draw like think twice and forbidden alchemy.

the swords with only 8 creatures 10 with zenith seems terrible

also SB torpor orb makes ur snapcaster mage aweful as well. it appears this deck will just draw into draw spells and counterspells and die to actual creatures and what not. just saying u should look into making it a better deck instead of value through mage.

*facepalm* it's not a 3 color deck, its a 2 color deck with a black splash for dismember and forbidden alchemy, BSZ is outstanding as a 1 of like I said, it's instant speed cruel ultimatum, swords is fantastic because by the time you use it you have already drawn around 23 cards already and have a creature to equip it with and that creature will have an outstanding impact on the game. Torpor orb does make snapcaster aweful, but it also completely blanks birthing pod decks so i dont care that it made my mage aweful because I just nuked their deck. Seriously...

TacoMaster wrote:
Ponder is TERRIBLE in this deck. It's a moderately average card early game and a terrible card late game. Oh, a Dismember and 2 lands... I sure need that Dismember... Oh, I lost over the next two turns. Too bad I wasn't running a good card. Sad Elixir is equally terrible. I get the idea... Crap, all my Snapcasters and cool shit is dead... But meh.

If you want a cool finisher, Sorin's Vengeance. Pew-Pew, you're dead. ^_^

Ponder is a great card because if you see dismember and two bad cards you go okay I'll take dismember, then play academy and ditch the rest, or I'll snapcaster and shuffle them back. and yeah that's the main idea of elixer, I think I'm going to move it to the SB, it's good, but I think it's better in the sb.
ncgeniusbrad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not at 3 color deck its a 2 color deck with an additional color? idk what instant speed cruel ultimatum you are talking about either. also ponder is terrible bc every time u have ponder u have alchemy rite? wait no. completely blanks b pod? their dudes have power and can easily attack u. their CIP abilities are not as important as before. look u dont have to like the suggestions or use them but if you make counterpoints make sure they are accurate.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1