Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UB control for innistrad

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject: UB control for innistrad Reply with quote

so far I have found this deck to be quite powerful. Here is my current list as of now.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [M12] Drowned Catacomb
4 [SOM] Darkslick Shores
4 [MBS] Inkmoth Nexus
4 [INN] Ghost Quarter
4 [M12] Island (1)
4 [INN] Swamp (2)

// Creatures
4 [INN] Snapcaster Mage

// Spells
2 [M12] Negate
2 [NPH] Karn Liberated
2 [MBS] Black Sun's Zenith
2 [MBS] Sword of Feast and Famine
3 [INN] Dissipate
3 [NPH] Dismember
1 [M12] Elixir of Immortality
4 [INN] Think Twice
4 [M12] Ponder
4 [M12] Mana Leak
4 [INN] Forbidden Alchemy
1 [MBS] Blue Sun's Zenith

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [MBS] Black Sun's Zenith
SB: 1 [SOM] Nihil Spellbomb
SB: 3 [SOM] Trinket Mage
SB: 2 [SOM] Ratchet Bomb
SB: 2 [M12] Azure Mage
SB: 3 [NPH] Torpor Orb
SB: 3 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine

Pretty straightforward list as of now.

the draw set: 4 ponder/forbidden alchemy/think twice + 1 usz: Ponder is extreemly mana efficient, alchemy lets you dig deep and lets you bin the excess cards so that you can continue digging deeper to your important spells, and think twice is CA that lets you leave mana open and usz is one powerhouse of a draw spell late game, but you do not want it sitting in your hand from turn 1.

the counter set: 4 leak 3 dissapate 2 negate: leak is obviously one of the best counterspells in the format, dissapate is fantastic late game since it is a hard counter, and negate is also great when your trying to protect your win cons late game and can only afford to hold 2 mana up, it's also great to counter planeswalkers with it.

the removal set: 2 blz, 3 dismembers 2 karn: removal does not get more efficient then dismember, 1 mana instant kill is simply awesome, bsz is very good when your opponent is trying to creature swarm you to death and you need an out fast.

win cons: Sword of fof with inkmoth nexus, snapcaster mage: sword with inkmoth is usually the way you win (or just inkmoth by himself). It is very low resource comitment 4 mana to swing and you untap it. Relatively fast clock (4 turns), and causes card advantage. snapcasters are basically more coppies of counterspells or ponders but with a body that can either chump or carry a sword.

elixer: helps get you out of late game burn and lets your put your countermagic and win conditions back into your deck, also becomes tutorable via trinket against aggro decks.

sb: azure mage is great against other control decks, he is instant speed reusable CA, and can carry a sword, and low mana investment

ratchet bomb is for aggro, since most of their creatures cost around 1 or 2 mana.

wurmcoil engines are for when you make it to turn 6. it is very difficult for an aggro deck to fight an engine while you have all that control to back it up.

trinket mages are there to tutor up either elixers vs aggro, or spellbomb against a graveyard based deck (if they become popular)

extra bsz to improve consistancy against aggro

and torpor orb for battling pod (however I think pod is relying less on ETB effects and more on dieing effets and just big creatures so this might change)

lets get some discussion going
InWaking

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been working on UBW control and it's been working pretty well but that's beside the point.
i feel like you're forcing yourself to play sword when it is not very relevent in your deck.

you could easily afford to play liliana in the deck along with maindeck wurmcoil/gravetitan/sphinx

taking out the two swords and a karn for them seems like a good choice.
relying on inkmoth nexus this early when every one will be packing ghost quarters seems weak.

moving the elixer to the side also seems like it should happen.
in my testing so far tribute to hunger is really good in my predicted meta. there are lots of hexproof critters. i hope this helps.
rentintin3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lands
4 Drowned Catacomb
4 Darkslick Shores

Creatures
3 Grave Titan
4 Snapcaster mage

Spells
4 Despise
4 Mana Leak
2 Jace's Ingenuity
3 Doom Blade
2 Dismember
3 Dissipate
3 Think Twice
1 Life's Finale

Walkers
2 Karn Liberated
4 Liliana

I want to add another final.
I think black is more important the blue for this deck so thinking about cutting another dissipate for another think twice or a final or a good draw spell.
Terri

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rentintin3 wich liliana? i guess the new one. and this deck is built to play after rotation so no m11 and no jaces ingenuity.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@inwaking: I'm not sure what I would be willing to give up for lili right now, she is a great planeswalker and all but I'm not exactly sure this deck is looking to drop her onto the field, she may end up being a sb slot for aggro as I could see her buying me a lot of time (by making them sac a creature and absorbing a hit). But i'm not sure.
As for sword, that card is very very powerful in this deck. I really think ghost quarters is not going to see as much play right now as it did in the past since there aren't many lands that you really need to be afraid of anymore (I'm actually thinking I may cut a few in my build since it is not worth the tempo loss to turn a land into a basic), the real problems would be things like naturalize but I have more countermagic then I could ever hope for in this deck so that's not much of an issue. Sword is just sooooo much more mana efficient then the other UB win conditions right now so I think I'm going to stick with that, and I'm not taking out karn as he is incredible with a clean board (which happens frequently)

tribute seems like a nice addition to the sb to help out against aggro, I think I'm going to add it.

@rentintin: this is for post rotation ub
rentintin3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1OR513N wrote:
rentintin3 wich liliana? i guess the new one. and this deck is built to play after rotation so no m11 and no jaces ingenuity.

Oh snap thought Jace's ing was from m12 lol

but that is ok just would play another think twice and another final main.

Its the new liliana cuz she is obv really good vs almost everything

Also I think a poison type control would be really fun//good.
Gonna post a list or something later
darkwizard42
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see how the new Lillana is useful for anything in this deck except for forcing them to sacrifice a creature. For three mana I would rather play more counters or removal that is useful. Discarding cards is in general just bad for you except for your flashback stuff...which is still not that great, its always better to use it once and then snapcaster it back for 2 x usage
GoneBananas
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing thats bothering me is sword with 4 creatures in the deck
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is my updated list

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [M12] Drowned Catacomb
4 [SOM] Darkslick Shores
4 [MBS] Inkmoth Nexus
4 [INN] Ghost Quarter
4 [M12] Island (1)
4 [INN] Swamp (2)

// Creatures
4 [INN] Snapcaster Mage
1 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine

// Spells
2 [M12] Negate
1 [NPH] Karn Liberated
2 [MBS] Black Sun's Zenith
2 [MBS] Sword of Feast and Famine
3 [INN] Dissipate
3 [NPH] Dismember
1 [M12] Elixir of Immortality
4 [INN] Think Twice
4 [M12] Ponder
4 [M12] Mana Leak
4 [INN] Forbidden Alchemy
1 [MBS] Blue Sun's Zenith

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine
SB: 1 [NPH] Karn Liberated
SB: 1 [MBS] Black Sun's Zenith
SB: 1 [SOM] Nihil Spellbomb
SB: 2 [SOM] Trinket Mage
SB: 2 [M12] Azure Mage
SB: 3 [NPH] Torpor Orb
SB: 3 [INN] Tribute to Hunger

swapped a wurmcoil for a karn main and -1 trinket -2 ratchet bomb for +3 tribute sb.

@tiredape: they mostly go on inkmoths which is a 3 turn clock (provided that you can get two on the field or the second sword) that lets you leave your mana up on your opponents turn, it also cannot be dealt with by sorcery speed removal. Snapcaster is plan b, wurmcoil is plan c, karn is plan d.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1