Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to handle transform cards

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Workstation (MWS)

What do you think about this method I designed?
I approve this shit!
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
I'm too lazy to write predefined tokens.
50%
 50%  [ 5 ]
I don't care.
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

Lynolf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: How to handle transform cards Reply with quote

This issue has been discussed before in the forums, but hasn't been officialized yet, so I thought about creating a thread regarding the easiest way for players to handle transformed cards while playing on MWS.

Not everyone is aware of what each card's abilities are when they are transformed. So to save time in telling the opponent what they are and (some) work confirming them on Gatherer or other searching site, the simplest way, in my opinion, is to create a token with the transformed card's characteristics and save it on the token creator (when you create a token, you have the option of saving it's state in the "Predefined Tokens" section for future uses) (Note: it's better to write the card's name in the "Type" section rather than the transformed card's creature types. You'll see the advantage of this in the next paragraph). In other words, whenever a player puts a card on the battlefield that can transform, he or she should create the appropriate token, already promptly saved in the Predefined Tokens, and put it aside on the battlefield (or turned facedown next to the original card, for example) so that the opponent can ready it beforehand. When the original card becomes transformed, all you have to do is swap their positions, so that your opponent can clearly distinguish which one of them represents the card's current state. It doesn't seem that hard to me. Also remember that the same way a token you create disappears after it leaves the battlefield, so does the transformed side of the card, and only the front part matters outside the battlefield.

This job can get much easier if players save the transformed card's image in the tokens folder (usually abbreviated with TK) inside the Pics folder, or whatever directory players use to access card images in MWS. All you have to do is type the transformed card's name, then a dot, followed by "full" and save it there (ex: Howlpack Alpha.full). That way, whenever you or any other player casts, say, Mayor of Avabruck, and it transforms, assuming the token's type is written correctly as Howlpack Alpha, you can see the card's information in it's entirety, as well as having a cool and nice image of the card on the battlefield! Cool

What do you think about this method? Do you like it? Or you think there's a better way to treat this type of situation?
struikje

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't they just have both sides on the same card? then you can just add a note that says "transformed" if it is transformed, no? just like flipcards?
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe MWS will put the cards like Flipcards.
Halldir

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

problem is that i have already in mws +- 30 tokens, adding so much more will be crazy
Burton911

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your approach is the only way that works with pictures.

Tough i think that Slightlymagic probably will handle it, as Flippi said, like FlipCards cause its much easier that way.

I guess if i play with a "Transfomer" in constructed i m going to make an appropriate Token, tough for Limited Play its not worth the effort imo, maybe only for the real complicated ones.
Lynolf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, Burton! I'm so used to play with images in MWS that I completely forgot slightlymagic.net personnel is going to write both sides of the card on the rules text. Embarassed

But still, since I like working with full pictures, and the flipped text can be confusing at times, this could prove a reasonable method, no? Mr. Green
silverbullet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:17 am    Post subject: Why not just use images? Reply with quote

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ktaogd

Something I edited myself. No card art, but at least the text is bigger.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Workstation (MWS) All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1