Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RB Aggro Post-Rotation (M12-SOM-INN)

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
GunsAndDope

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:50 am    Post subject: RB Aggro Post-Rotation (M12-SOM-INN) Reply with quote

With a core set, a full artifact block, and half of Innistrad spoiled, I've decided to jump the gun (and dope) and start brewing up an aggro build for the new format. This list is going to be suboptimal until the rest of the set is spoiled, but this should serve as a proof of concept.

Note: Cards listed in the sideboard are just maindeck (or sideboard) choices that I am considering, but the lack of people testing the new type 2 has severely limited my ability to properly judge what will or won't work.

// RB Tempo-Aggro v.0

// Lands
8 [MBS] Mountain (1)
8 [MBS] Swamp (1)
4 [SOM] Blackcleave Cliffs
4 [M12] Dragonskull Summit

// Creatures
4 [INN] Vampire Interloper
4 [INN] Diregraf Ghoul
4 [M12] Goblin Fireslinger
4 [MBS] Hero of Oxid Ridge
4 [M12] Stormblood Berserker

// Spells
4 [INN] Brimstone Volley
4 [MBS] Go for the Throat
4 [NPH] Dismember
4 [M12] Incinerate

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [SOM] Skinrender
SB: 4 [MBS] Phyrexian Rager
SB: 4 [M12] Grim Lavamancer
SB: 4 [INN] Liliana of the Veil
SB: 4 [M12] Doom Blade

To discuss my card choices, I'll elaborate on each one in the order of which they would be played in a perfect world. As you no doubt have already concluded, tempo is gonna be key with this archetype.

Turn 1: Diregraf Ghoul/Goblin Fireslinger

- Diregraf Ghoul is just friggin' great. A non-legendary Isamaru whose drawback is really irrelevant for a purely offensive plan.
- Goblin Fireslinger on the other hand is a choice that I am heavily on the fence about. I want to say that Grim Lavamancer should be in this spot, but Fireslinger gives me a dependable one damage per turn, which is not only relevant to 4/60 of my deck (ie, not that big of a deal), but adds up to more damage dealt to my opponent over time (assuming Grim Lavamancer would be unable to attack). With the fetchlands gone, Lavamancer also loses a lot of it's fodder, so for the time being, I'm going to begin testing Fireslinger as my other one-drop. I would really appreciate any and all feedback on this, and also, any other suggestions for creatures with Bloodthirst that fit this deck and would make Fireslinger more useful.

Turn 2: Stormblood Berserker/Vampire Interloper.

- Stormblood sucks to topdeck late in the game and requires another card to fully shine. However, how can you not run a card that shares the surname of Danaerys from Game of Thrones? I feel that such an aggressive deck would be the best place for Berserker, however removal-prone he may be.
- Vampire Interloper is another choice that is slightly above Fireslinger on my concerns list. a 2/1 flyer for 2 is great, but I wish it were a RB cost and with haste. Still, evasion and ease of casting give this creature some amount of competitive edge.

Turn 3: More one/two-drops, removal.

- My removal package is pretty obvious. Go For The Throat and Dismember are probably the two best single-target removal spells available in this format so far.
- Incinerate gives me the option for removal or reach and Brimstone Volley has not only the ability to be devastating, but it also hits at instant speed, meaning I can chump block with Fireslinger, tap for one damage, then play Volley for 5 on my opponent's turn.

Turn 4: Hero of Oxid Ridge

- Walls are always bad news for aggro decks, especially with cards like Spellskite being ran in almost every deck. This card not only gets my guys past them, not only makes all my guys a little stronger, but he attacks on the turn he comes out. Anything with 4 power for 4 cmc is good, but the combination of those 3 abilities make this card broken. His only drawback is a tempered-glass ass, but I can live with that.

Other Options for Sideboard and Maindeck

- First off is Doom Blade, which against any deck that isn't black will probably come in to replace Dismember. A definite choice for my sb.
- Next is Liliana of the Veil. I like her, I think her abilities are good, but I don't think she fits well with this archetype. Then again, her +1 ability would be irrelevant when I go into topdeck mode (around turn 4-5). Also, the Cruel Edict on a stick is nice.
- Grim Lavamancer should be maindeck, but I'm just not sure if he's any better than Fireslinger at this point. I already have enough creature control, so his ability to Shock enemies is somewhat negated by the fact that I don't have handy ways to fill my graveyard (like with Arid Mesas and Scalding Tarns). Still, with Innistrad being the set that it is, there may be a card that has yet to be spoiled (or one that I have overlooked) that would make lavamancer better. I really need ideas here.
- Phyrexian Rager seems like it would be a good fit. An underwhelming 2/2 body that gives me a one-turn reprieve from being in topdeck mode and it fills the missing 3cmc slot (which may or may not be an issue). I'll test it but I'm not expecting any greatness.
- Skinrender is gonna be a sb card for when Hero of Oxid Ridge isn't that great. Basically, against other aggro decks, I like Skinrender better.
- I also thought about Chandra's Pheonix, but the double red cost is just too much for something that does too little, and with only 8 burn spells in my deck, I'm thinking recursion is gonna happen less often than I like.

The Major Drawback to this Archetype.

- There's way too many board sweepers.

I'll be updating this post with match records and a changelog of this deck, so our community can track the evolution of this deck. I would really appreciate any and all comments/criticisms/and death-threats that you guys can give me!
darkwizard42
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited.

Lavamancer is generally better than Fireslinger, but if you are relying on a pure way to turn on t2 Berserker, I guess its acceptable.

20 card sideboard seems excessive
GunsAndDope

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkwizard42 wrote:
edited.

Lavamancer is generally better than Fireslinger, but if you are relying on a pure way to turn on t2 Berserker, I guess its acceptable.

20 card sideboard seems excessive

I think you missed the part where I said that the sideboard was just a place where I put cards I was debating on.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're definitely going to want this card previewed tonight:

Reckless Waif R
1/1
(Transform if no spells were cast)
3/2

It seems to me that an opponent would not be able to cast the necessary 2 spells in a turn to "turn it off" for several turns, effectively giving you a 3/2 for 1.

P.S. Danaerys "Stormborn" Targaryen
Balaviaris

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is Bump in the Night? Smile
fdart17

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balaviaris wrote:
Where is Bump in the Night? Smile

Hmm do you think we are ever getting to 6 mana, even late? That's the only thing that makes it relevant, but I don't think we do.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1