Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice/Instruction for an oldschool player

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Sligh_Br

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back. Well, the first thing you should know is that apprentice is pretty much out of flavor. You should download Magic Workstation if you haven't already. Other than that, you've made a very generic question. Wanna be more specific?
Pandearon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I'm an old school player as well...took multiple breaks and each time I returned to the game I approached it the same way. The only difference this time around was I had to learn the changes made to combat rules...so read on those changes 1st imo...then all that's left is learning the new mechanics introduced while you were gone...and mechanics are easy...takes a couple times reading them and you got them memorized. Oh and draft draft draft! I find that drafting the newest sets is the easiest way for me to learn the new cards in a format. Hope this helped.
Pandearon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya it can definately feel like a huge undertaking when you see the huge ammount of cards you have to read but for real it goes fast and as for guides an stuff juss ask in the main room MOST ppl are cool and will help out quickly LOL. If there are any other questions don't hesitate to ask dude and as for the artwork...totally a waste of time imo hahaha.
Sligh_Br

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The artwork is pretty important in my opinion, specially if you are planing on use Magic League to practice to IRL tournaments (since you should be able to recongnize cards by picture, since it's faster than by name). If you want links for the images look for me (same nick) at one of the Magic-League mIRC rooms.

You should google "M10 rules change" to find whatever you might need about the new rules (they feel like will a big difference at first, but really it's nothing that huge once you play with them).

As for new card types, from 10 years to now there are Equipments and Planeswalkers (well, you could probably count Tribal also, but these won't probably be a "thing" if you're planning to play Standard). You should be able to find the rullings on them with a simple google search.

Good luck.
Sandro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mana burn no longer exists. Combat damage doesn't go on the stack anymore. Blocking is slightly different, but doesn't matter too much. Other than that there haven't been many changes I don't think.
hawkman3111

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The freee trial version works fine forever.

As for the rest, I think THIS is the place.

We are all in the gameroom right now playing tourneys and talking decks, cmon in.
ChrRome

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really sure what the policy for referencing other websites is (if there is one), but Channelfireball.com has good articles and videos from some of the best players in the game.
hawkman3111

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no fees that Ive seen. The mini tournaments run all hours at the whim of the TCs. You can expect top decks and good players in every format. If workstation is working for you already, you only need the netdraft program for draft events. Its easiest to come in the game room and see whats going on.
Pandearon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No there are no fee's to play in the tournaments here at Magic-League. This place if by the players for the players (or at least I feel that way about ML) and that's why it's the best place to play. The League is made up of some seriously top notch players and you will get tested every tournament. Trust me dude..you've come to the right place.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1