Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Create a Card - Round 67 - Judged

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Sligh_Br

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Create a Card - Round 67 - Judged Reply with quote

So, now I'm judging what probably is gonna be my last create a card (because playing tournaments whenever I feel like it is way, way more fun). So let's get to it:

Balaviaris wrote:
Violent Earthquake (X)(X)(R)(R)

Sorcery - Rare

Convoke - land (each land you sacrifice while casting this spell reduces its cost by (2) or by one mana that land could produce.)

Violent Earthquake deals X damage to each creature without flying and each player. Destroy X target lands.

You could make it a rare without creating a corrupt version of convoke (that would be very hard to exist in a core set, rules-wise). Also this card is slightly broken in it's control applications (think Ghitu Fire). Still, I like it very much.

Innovation: 2, Playability: 2.5 (slightly broken, but not unprintable), Flavor: 1, Role: 2. Total: 7.5.

Gademis wrote:
Chain Quake RRR

Sorcery – Rare

Destroy target land and then choose any of the following:

Destroy target creature if the land was a creature or it could become a creature. Destroy target artifact if the land could produce only colorless mana. Destroy target basic land with a different name than the basic land you destroyed.

“Just aim it anywhere and the aftershocks will take care of the rest” - Koth

Some problems: the "it could become a creature" texting doesn't work within magic rules (it should be "if it has an activated ability that transform it into a creature), anything could become a creature somehow. Also, the rest of the text is awkward (what if I didn't destroy a basic, etc. Still, a good idea.

Innovation: 2.5 , Playability: 0 (really bad rules), Flavor: 1.5, Role: 2. Total: 6.

Lozober wrote:
Double Agent UU

instant-rare

Counter target spell.
Put a 2/2 Human Agent token into play under target spell controller.

"That leak had to come from the inside!"

I don't think this would be playable in most blue decks, just like Beast Within is not playable in most black ones. However, in those that WOULD play it, this would be very good. Unfortunately, this makes it a fringe card and I asked you for a stapple.

Innovation: 2.5 , Playability: 2, Flavor: 2, Role: 1 (fringe playable). Total: 7.5.

ck3gds wrote:
Stubborn Denial XUU

Instant (mythic)

Counter up to X target spells. If X is 3 or more, it has split second. (As long as this spell is on the stack, players can't cast spells or activate abilities that aren't mana abilities.)

"No, no, and NO! How many times must I repeat myself?!"

I like it, but still don't think it's a staple. Most times, agains most decks, this would just be a hard to understand Cancel. Assuming Split Second would be the returning mechanic, would you?

Innovation: 2.5 , Playability: 1.5, Flavor: 2, Role: 1 (playable, not staple). Total: 7.

Lozober wrote:
Blood Pact BB
Sorcery-rare

Search your library for a card and put that card into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

At end of turn, if Blood Pact is on your graveyard lose 2 life.

"Selling your own flesh is a bit trickier."

Very elegant design. One of my favorites. Hit the nail in playability.

Innovation: 2.5 , Playability: 3, Flavor: 2, Role: 2. Total: 9.5.

kendiggy wrote:
Risky Business

1U - Instant

Counter target spell unless that spells controller sacrifices a permanent.

Draw a card.

1UU, remove a blue card in your hand from the game: Return Risky Business from your graveyard to your hand. Play this ability only any time you could play a sorcery.

"It was great the way her mind worked. No guilt, no doubts, no fear. None of my specialities. Just the shameless pursuit of immediate gratification. What a capitalist."

This is a very hard card to access playability-wise, since it's so innovative. I'd probably guess it's field dependant, though. This would shine in the control mirror, but probably not anywhere else.

Innovation: 3 , Playability: 2, Flavor: 2, Role: 1. Total: 8.

pseudodespot wrote:
Morning Remembrance B

Sorcery (uncommon)

Search your library for a card with the same name as a card in your graveyard, reveal it and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

Waking up from a horrible dream edged forever into your mind seems still better than not waking up at all. So they say...

Pretty good. It seems like people just got the tutors better.

Innovation: 2.5, Playability: 2.5, Flavor: 2, Role: 2. Total: 9.

Whogshrog wrote:
Stone Downpour 2RR

Sorcery – Rare

Destroy target land

Storm

"There goes the neighborhood .. And some of their friends !"

Not really good in a core set. Pretty decent card, though.

Innovation: 2, Playability: 3, Flavor: 2, Role: 1. Total: 8.

xJudicatorx wrote:
All In 3BB
Sorcery - Uncommon

Search your library for a card and put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.

You may play All In without paying it's mana cost and as though it was an instant if you discard your hand and pay half of your life rounded up.

You can't win the wager if you won't risk a copper.
-Braids, Dementia Caster

Very interesting in a different way. This is more of a combo card than the other very good tutors, thus making it a little more limited and less-staple like, but still pretty good.

Innovation: 2.5, Playability: 3, Flavor: 2, Role: 1. Total: 8.5.

coat3021 wrote:
1BB

Demonic Intent

Sorcery

Search your library for a card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library. You lose life equal to that card's converted mana cost.

Slightly above the mana curve of a good tutor, and for this reason, slightly below the playability line. Still, a good, balanced card. Just not a staple.

Innovation: 2.5, Playability: 1.5, Flavor: 2, Role: 1. Total: 7.

Jacois wrote:
Refund 1U
Instant *Uncommon*
Counter target spell. That spells controller untaps all lands he or she controls.

Like it a lot. In the begning of the game it is a ok, kinda of situational counter. Later on is basically a hard counter. Well-fit for most control strategies and an all-around great card.

Innovation: 3, Playability: 3, Flavor: 1.5, Role: 2. Total: 9.5.

Darkseed wrote:
1BB// Dark Comodities

Sorcery

Search your library for 2 cards, reveal them and put them into your hand. You get an emblem with "When you cast a spell, counter it unless you pay 1"

Unless you make some really wacky combo, this card is actively hurting you. Far from a staple, although it could see play somewhere.

Innovation: 3, Playability: 1.5, Flavor: 1.5, Role: 0.5. Total: 6.5.

Duodax wrote:
Devil Tutor 1B

RARE

Sorcery

Name a card. Exile cards from the top of your library until you exile the named card, then put it into your hand.

Demonic Consultation?

Innovation: 2, Playability: 2.5 (slightly broken), Flavor: 1, Role: 2. Total: 7.5.

hawkman3111 wrote:
Nice Try

U - Instant

counter target spell, play this only during a players upkeep phase

Nice try at making a card, dude. This is weird and only VERY fringe playable if ever.

Innovation: 2.5, Playability: 1, Flavor: 1, Role: 0. Total: 4.5.

cloysterd wrote:
One With Something (M)
B
Sorcery

Discard your hand. Search your library for a card and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

I like the card and I like the reference.

Innovation: 2.5, Playability: 2 (combo only, aggro at most), Flavor: 2, Role: 1.5. Total: 8.

Mizukage wrote:
Now or Never | 3BB

Sorcery (M)

At the beginning of your upkeep, you may reveal ~ from your hand and exile two cards that share a color other than ~ from your hand. If you do, you may cast it without paying its mana cost. If you cast ~ this way, at the beginning of the end step, you lose the game.

Search your library for two cards and put them into your hand. Then shuffle your library. Your life total becomes 1.

WOTC's response to the public outcry over the dwindling instances of turn one kills.

A more extreme, slightly worst designed version "All In".

Innovation: 2 (0 if you read "All In" above), Playability: 2, Flavor: 0 (refences WotC), Role: 1. Total: Either 5 or 3.

AxiomBlurr wrote:
Palimpsest Chicanery

UUU

Instant -- Rare

Choose 1 - Counter target spell or return target permanent to its owner's hand.

Put a blue Parchment artifact token on to the battlefield. It has; Tap: Scry 1.

"Spells may come and go... but magic is forever." - Sirctheop, the Clandestine.

This is likely the weirdest card so far and don't really fit into a core set. It's hard to argue it's innovative, though.

Innovation: 2.5 (a little TO innovative, I never thought I'd write that), Playability: 2.5, Flavor: 2, Role: 1. Total: 8.

Lostwanderer wrote:
Morbid Tutour-BB
Sorcery Rare
Search for a card that has the same type as a card that was put into the graveyard this turn, revel it then put it into your hand, then Shuffle your library.
"My demise will only spawn greater evil."-Inquisitor Valka's last victim

Ok. Not genious, but a very nice, solid card. The restriction really balances it.

Innovation: 2.5 (2 if you read Morning Rememberance above), Playability: 2, Flavor: 2, Role: 2. Total: Either 8.5 or 8.

yajiko wrote:
orcish tunnel (2R)

sorcery - common

Destroy target land. if that land doesn't share a name on the battlefield, destroy another land.

"this! then that!...no! that and that!

You may have missed the target in your card text (correct text would say "destroy another target land"), but you've pretty much hit it in card-making. Simple, flavorfull, right to the point (and slightly broken). It should probably have been an uncommon, though.

Innovation: 3, Playability: 3, Flavor: 2, Role: 1.5 (uncommon part). Total: 9.5.

ikazuchi wrote:
Arcane Cloudburst U
Instant (Uncommon)

Counter target spell if there is another Arcane Cloudburst on the stack.

Replicate 1U

"No individual raindrop ever considers itself responsible for the flood." -Nimbus mage

Very nice. It counters Cascade, counters itself (if it gets played a lot) and, otherwise it's just you know... Cancel. Great utility, but not really "staple". So replicate will be the returning mechanic in M13? Nice to know...

Innovation: 3, Playability: 2, Flavor: 2, Role: 1. Total: 8.

Mcleetsauce wrote:
Malicious Tutor - B
Sorcery - Rare
Spend only mana produced by creatures to cast Malicious Tutor.
Landfall - If a land entered the battlefield under your control this turn, search your library for a card and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

Landfall as returning mechanic? I don't think so... to soon. Also, it does nothing without it? And the card ask me to play manacreatures... and more land... in black? Not really synergetic, if you ask me.

Innovation: 2.5, Playability: 1, Flavor: 0.5, Role: 1. Total: 5.

Mr_Weebles wrote:
I hope its okay that I made a cycle of cards.

Unearthly Counsel
Instant - Rare

Unearthly Counsel is blue.
As an additional cost to play Unearthly Counsel, discard a card and sacrifice an Island.
Counter target spell unless its controller pays 3.

"Everything has an answer"

Nice cycle, dude. I really can't find a design flaw in any of these. And I've really looked into it! I'm just gonna judge the first one, though, since this is "create A card". Slightly less flavorful without the cycle, though.

Innovation: 3, Playability: 3, Flavor: 1.5, Role: 2. Total: 9.5.

sc4rs wrote:
Isolating Thoughts
1U
Instant - Uncommon
If you have cast any other spells this turn, counter Isolating Thoughts.
Counter target spell.
Until end of turn, you can't cast spells.

Yet another great card! This one might actually be one of the best so far.

Innovation: 3, Playability: 2.5 (slightly broken: 1U counter, on turn two at UU would've been perfect with the drawback it has later on), Flavor: 2, Role: 2. Total: 9.5.

khara wrote:
clutch of mages 1UU
instant - uncommon

counter target spell.

you may search your library a card named clutch of mages and put it into your hand. shuffle your library after wards.

"a spell developed out of greed, for mages and the like with a deed"

Great card, even if definetely broken. So you're saying I can just channel counterspells one after the other, like they are squadron hawks or something? There should be a clause forcing you to remove the other 2 copies from the game as you play one for this to be ok.

Innovation: 3, Playability: 2 (broken as it is), Flavor: 2, Role: 2. Total: 9.
Sligh_Br

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd and 3rd: Clutch of Mages 1UU (Khara) and Morning Remembrance B (pseudodespot).

Winners:

Blood Pact (Lozober)

Refund (Jacois)

Orcish Tunnel (Yajiko)

Unearthly Counsel (Mr_Weebles)

Isolating Thoughts (sc4rs)

So, this contest seemed pretty easy, since we got 5 winners this time around! However, this can't be left this way. Stay with me for the Create a Card 67 - Ultimate Showdown.
feamar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: No judging on my card ? Reply with quote

Why was my entry not judged?
I thought pretty long about it...
Sligh_Br

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: No judging on my card ? Reply with quote

feamar wrote:

Because it had no cost or rarity?
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois Spell is actually pretty decent ramp if you counter something you control.
Floating the mana in response to the spell is actually a huge drawback, but it creates amusing situations.

I do not think there should be a showdown, Jacois is a clear winner to me, just sayin

Still looking forward to the additional submissions.

Smile
feamar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: No judging on my card ? Reply with quote

Sligh_Br wrote:
feamar wrote:

Because it had no cost or rarity?

Its cost was RR, but whatever
sc4rs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Create a Card - Round 67 - Judged Reply with quote

Sligh_Br wrote:

sc4rs wrote:
Isolating Thoughts
1U
Instant - Uncommon
If you have cast any other spells this turn, counter Isolating Thoughts.
Counter target spell.
Until end of turn, you can't cast spells.

Yet another great card! This one might actually be one of the best so far.

Innovation: 3, Playability: 2.5 (slightly broken: 1U counter, on turn two at UU would've been perfect with the drawback it has later on), Flavor: 2, Role: 2. Total: 9.5.

Mana Leak is a 1U hard counter on turn 2, too, though to be fair I think Mana Leak is also slightly broken. Wink
Sligh_Br

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but Manaleak's drawback is more relevant later on.
Mcleetsauce

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mcleetsauce wrote:
Malicious Tutor - B
Sorcery - Rare
Spend only mana produced by creatures to cast Malicious Tutor.
Landfall - If a land entered the battlefield under your control this turn, search your library for a card and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

Landfall as returning mechanic? I don't think so... to soon. Also, it does nothing without it? And the card ask me to play manacreatures... and more land... in black? Not really synergetic, if you ask me.

Innovation: 2.5, Playability: 1, Flavor: 0.5, Role: 1. Total: 5.

You're probably not seeing that there are many mana-producing creatures in all of existence of Magic, and this card isn't meant to be played in Mono Black at all. This card wasn't intended strictly for Standard, either. It has great synergy with Lotus Cobra, to say the very least. Turn 2 tutor with Birds of Paradise or Elves of Deep Shadow, granted you have your land drop. Catch my drift? And if you're still going to be stuck on so called, "better" game play, then this may catch your eye:

Unnerving Stare - (2/B)(B/2 life)(B/2 life)
Sorcery - Uncommon
(2/B) can be paid with either (2) or (B) and (B/2 life) can be paid with either (B) or 2 life. This cards converted mana cost is 4.
Search your library for a card and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1