Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modern Illusion

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Riftwing Cloudskate and Illusionary Servant are better options than Krovikan Mist and Phyrexian Metamorph.
Jacois

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

// NAME: Illusionary Ninjas

// Lands
20 [M12] Island (4)
4 [MOR] Mutavault

// Creatures
4 [M12] Phantasmal Bear
4 [BOK] Ninja of the Deep Hours
2 [FUT] Venser, Shaper Savant
4 [M12] Lord of the Unreal
4 [PLC] Gossamer Phantasm
4 [TSP] Dream Stalker
2 [M12] Phantasmal Image

// Spells
4 [DS] AEther Vial
4 [TSP] Snapback
4 [SOM] Twisted Image

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [GP] Vedalken Plotter
SB: 4 [TSP] Trickbind
SB: 4 [ALA] Relic of Progenitus
SB: 3 [M11] AEther Adept

Here's what I've come up with so far. Ninjas are awesome with the bears as you can either have a 2nd turn 3/3 with the Lord or Ninjutsu turn 2.

Aether Vial is pretty sick with Dream Stalker as it saves any of your permanents for free with 2 counters (even illusions that have been targetted) and creates some advantageous situations with Ninjas/Vensers.

Vedalken Plotters are great against Post, much better than quarters imo. I have 4 in the board with the Trickbinds to hopefully keep 12post at bay.

The list is far from perfect as this is a first draft, but I do believe the idea has merit. Adaptive Automaton seems redundant and underpowered. I'm even questioning the validity of Lord of the Unreal though I'm not willing to cut it just yet.

Gossmer Phantasm is also a very cheap efficient Illusion that is a hidden gem imo. Krovikan mist, imo, just puts you a little too firmly into the Illusion camp, restricting the efficiency of the deck.

Image is simply amazing. I copied a Ranger of Eos for 2 bears a couple days ago, and it's almost got me thinking I should add White both for Rangers of my own and Hawks, though that would throw off the consistancy of the mono blue mana base. I'm a big proponent of stable mana bases.

GL with the deck and if you have any advice for me I would welcome it. Later.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All decks with phantasmal bear in are awesome!
Efrem_84

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents:

Hexproof won't be relevant since the decks who care about it will first of all kill the lord anyway.

Flying neither, since it would be relevant in a anyway terrible matchup.

I think the benefit that spellstutter sprite or cursecatcher would give against a combo deck, given how the meta shaped, would be much more relevant.

Then, i could be wrong since i didn't test it but it seems to me it won't be able to race neither zoo or affinity, nor stop a dedicated combo deck...

I don't wanna "hate" your idea, it just seems to me that trying to go the illusions route u gave up some powerful pieces for a tempo deck without having a real gain. It certainly can be a fun deck ( how couldn't it be starting with a bear? XD ) although i won't expect it to become tournament viable even after some major tweaks.
Jacois

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should just add Ninjas and bears to Merfolk. Razz
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I have to agree with Efrem. There is no point in building Illusions unless it is strictly better than Merfolk, which it is not.
Jacois

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xJudicatorx wrote:
I'm afraid I have to agree with Efrem. There is no point in building Illusions unless it is strictly better than Merfolk, which it is not.

I subscribed to the theory that nothing is strictly better than anything else. Lets not kid ourselves here, Illusions aren't good, Phantasmal Bears are good.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1