Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Request that non-judges be able to idle in judges4you

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues

Would allowing non-judges to idle in judges4you benefit magic-league?
Yes
51%
 51%  [ 19 ]
No
48%
 48%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 37

MikeL123

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what that means, "Logs are available to the public"
Fanboy1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you have to !reqvoice first to be able to talk for 5 minutes then it is a good idea. That way a) no accidents can happen and it is b) just as clearly defined who wants a ruling as it is now.
Another advantage in addition to those already mentioned is that you dont get kicked anymore when waiting for a judge or a ruling. That was quite annoying.

It seems that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages by quite a lot.
Egren

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AppleofEris wrote:
darkwizard42 wrote:
DonDiggys point is most important. Judge rulings are private. People will discuss them in another channel if they can't in J4U. Judges have the responsibility and the understanding that what happens in J4U is private. Giving that information to everyone makes asking the "stupid" simple questions intimidating when all your peers can openly discuss that question.

I vote against this. If you want to be a judge, study and read on rulings online. Don't use being unable to idle in J4U as an excuse to not study properly.

So when at an event and a person at my table calls a judge, I am to plug my ears?

No, but everyone at the tournament shouldn't run over and listen, either.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egren wrote:
AppleofEris wrote:
darkwizard42 wrote:
DonDiggys point is most important. Judge rulings are private. People will discuss them in another channel if they can't in J4U. Judges have the responsibility and the understanding that what happens in J4U is private. Giving that information to everyone makes asking the "stupid" simple questions intimidating when all your peers can openly discuss that question.

I vote against this. If you want to be a judge, study and read on rulings online. Don't use being unable to idle in J4U as an excuse to not study properly.

So when at an event and a person at my table calls a judge, I am to plug my ears?

No, but everyone at the tournament shouldn't run over and listen, either.

There is nothing stopping me from listening, then telling the guy next to me who tells the guy next to him who tells the guy next to him.

In fact, I can stand behind you and watch you play, then tell everyone what you are playing.
niknight

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Players are not, and for as long as I am in this position, will not be allowed to idle in #judges4you. Having lots of idlers in channel makes it more difficult for judges to do their thing... period.

Also, I don't understand why you would want to idle in there anyway. There are 500,000 (hyperbole) better ways to get better acquainted with the rules. The majority of issues that come into #judges4you are applications of the Penalty Guidelines and Floor Rules, not actual rules questions. Our most popular questions are:

1. We disconnected, what happens?
2. My opponent is playing slowly?
3. My opponent did something wrong, how do we fix it?
4. My opponent didn't show up.
5. My opponent has the wrong security code.

NONE of these questions are material that is being tested, so it's not really worth your time to idle. You are much better off reading the Magic Rulings forum at Salvation than you are idling.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

niknight wrote:
Players are not, and for as long as I am in this position, will not be allowed to idle in #judges4you. Having lots of idlers in channel makes it more difficult for judges to do their thing... period.

Also, I don't understand why you would want to idle in there anyway. There are 500,000 (hyperbole) better ways to get better acquainted with the rules. The majority of issues that come into #judges4you are applications of the Penalty Guidelines and Floor Rules, not actual rules questions. Our most popular questions are:

5. My opponent has the wrong security code.

NONE of these questions are material that is being tested, so it's not really worth your time to idle. You are much better off reading the Magic Rulings forum at Salvation than you are idling.

I wonder why you are so bothered by the idea of players (who would not be able to type anything in channel and thus, unable to impede your ability to judge).

What are you hiding?
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

White House should be opened to the public 24/7. I mean; what is Obama hiding?
Fanboy1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CMA-Flippi wrote:

You overrate what you are doing.
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, the vote is 19 to 17. That is nowhere a clear majority. This makes me not put more thought into the case.
niknight

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AppleofEris wrote:

I wonder why you are so bothered by the idea of players (who would not be able to type anything in channel and thus, unable to impede your ability to judge).

What are you hiding?

Yep, you got us. We have been secretly using our position as judges to glean insight into what people are playing, thereby winning every master and trial. Look at my rating for example. How else can one get an eternal rating of 1650 without using such cheats Rolling Eyes . In our spare time, we use the channel as a base to launch our massive attack against the world's defense satellites. (and if you believed any of this paragraph, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell you)

Seriously, the whole Glenn Beck mantra of accusing people of impropriety behind the guise of asking questions has gotten old, and doesn't work on anyone who has half of a brain. If you seriously think we are doing anything underhanded, then you are free to leave whenever you want. To put it simply, you take a position which is contrary to whatever the policy is just because you want to troll us after not getting your way on an issue regarding a judge's behavior (which was well within channel rules). Why don't you do us all a favor and just SHUT UP!
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

niknight wrote:
AppleofEris wrote:

What are you hiding?

Yep, you got us. We have been secretly using our position as judges to glean insight into what people are playing, thereby winning every master and trial. Look at my rating for example. How else can one get an eternal rating of 1650 without using such cheats Rolling Eyes . In our spare time, we use the channel as a base to launch our massive attack against the world's defense satellites. (and if you believed any of this paragraph, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell you)

Seriously, the whole Glenn Beck mantra of accusing people of impropriety behind the guise of asking questions has gotten old, and doesn't work on anyone who has half of a brain. If you seriously think we are doing anything underhanded, then you are free to leave whenever you want. To put it simply, you take a position which is contrary to whatever the policy is just because you want to troll us after not getting your way on an issue regarding a judge's behavior (which was well within channel rules). Why don't you do us all a favor and just SHUT UP!

Very becoming of a judge director.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CMA-Flippi wrote:

It should. But then again, you are German. Germans seem to be very good at politics.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azania wrote:
AppleofEris wrote:
CMA-Flippi wrote:

It should. But then again, you are German. Germans seem to be very good at politics.

You are 1 step away from being banned, I suggest you walk out of the door of this topic. This is will be your one and only warning

Am I not allowed to respond in the same manner as the staff?
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

niknight wrote:
Our most popular questions are:

5. My opponent has the wrong security code. (and the related "my sealed deck did not download correctly". help.)
6. Actualy rules questions.

I think that's the correct order.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4