Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New rating system changed to planeswalker points

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the concept of encouraging players to play more, but I'm a bit hesitant about the flat gain idea. With the old system, a good player could theoretically overtake everyone else simply by continuing to win. With this system, it's all about longevity.

The top ranked players used to worry about losing a match and losing rating points. Now the top ranked players don't have to worry about ever being overtaken - so long as they continue to play, a new player can never catch up.

So a true prodigy of the game who bursts onto the tournament scene suddenly, winning multiple GP's or whatever, will have years to look forward to before he can catch up to someone who has been grinding away a 50-50 record for years.
MikeL123

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great idea.... for WotC to get more money.

Removes the incentive to skip tourneys, and increases the incentive to enter as many as possible.

This has nothing to do with anything except making more money.

Not that I have a problem with this... they're a business. But seeing this as anything but a revenue-producing idea is probably incorrect.
Jacois

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

niknight wrote:
In general: I personally love this change. It encourages people to actually PLAY MAGIC. Evan Erwin said it best, no longer do you have to worry about sitting on your rating to Q for an event, nor do you have to drop an event at 3-0 so you can maintain your ratings byes. Imagine a situation where you test for a week with a deck, drive 5 hours to a PTQ just to start off 1-2. Previously, you could continue to play and risk damaging your rating, or drop, and that was pretty much your option. Now you actually get some entertainment value out of all of that investment.

In regards to Magic-League: This is a change that is impossible to make without
1. a major change to the site's code
2. a reset of everybody's rating to zero.

The reason that we need to reset everybody's rating to 0 is that we used to archive match results every so often to save space.

Well Niknight, I petition ML do just that.
dv8r

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can I put in a vote for just leaving the system as is... the new wizards system seems deeply deeply flawed....
Strid3r

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, m-l could use both systems simultaneously and use both systems in a clever way to determine other stuff (like byes, etc.)
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azania wrote:
I like the idea, but I do see a small problem, the numbers will get big and over the longer term will need adjustment.. ML is not going to implement this in the current site at all, just keep that in mind.

In my opinion there needs to be a decay every week or so, over a certain period you loose a % (based on your level I would guess) of your points, otherwise people will still be higher up when they stop.. I am not entirely sure but it should be a small percentage (without to much negative noticeable effect) to allow other who do still play to catch up more easily and those with humongous amount of points to keep playing, but like I said this should be a small percentage, 3% at lower levels and like 0.2% at the highest or so..

Other then that I am not 100% sure of what think of this heh..

Your "competitive" planeswalker points reset every season. We could do the same on ML. Competitive points reset Every 3 months or something.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me from what I read on wizards recently, the change were made to make crap players feel better about themselves in order to encourage more people to play (this sounds firmly like a mark rosewater idea he hates us competitive lot.)

I understand that the changes make sense from a commercial stand point but it defiantly detracts from magics respectability. Would golf, tennis, chess or any sport use such a crappy rating system to determine who the best players are. Not for one second.

This change, moves magic from an intellectual sport into a game, made to gratify the masses by only ever rewarding them for playing. This and the recent rule changes making the game simpler, all scream of trying to make a game that rewards everyone and anyone can win at. Who wants a bunch of people uncapebale of any sort of perseverance at the game playing anyway, thats how you get good at anything it dont just come easy and shouldnt.
This is the total opposite direction I would like the game to go.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2