Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New rating system changed to planeswalker points

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Lynolf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: New rating system changed to planeswalker points Reply with quote

Information can be found here: http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/159b

So, magic-league... when will we have a system like this too? Razz
moscowdemon
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um... let me just leave this here...

Free online Magic: The Gathering tournaments, chat and community. Magic-League is an independent body, and has no affiliation or working relationship with Wizards of the Coast or the DCI.

Oh... let's bold the important part...

Magic-League is an independent body, and has no affiliation or working relationship with Wizards of the Coast or the DCI.

So let's put this in one more time in math terms
Magic-League =/= DCI or WotC

To put it simply, it will probably break agreements to convert to that, so no. Smile
Lynolf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touché... didn't ever thought about that. My mistake Razz
GreenBear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a terrible idea, you don't lose points for losing wtf!
magicman85

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not losing points for losing a match is a terrible idea. In this system the person with the highest rating is going to be the person who plays the most, not who is the best.

I wish you could spend points on cards too =(.
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks very similar to the Team Points system that we use here.
niknight

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general: I personally love this change. It encourages people to actually PLAY MAGIC. Evan Erwin said it best, no longer do you have to worry about sitting on your rating to Q for an event, nor do you have to drop an event at 3-0 so you can maintain your ratings byes. Imagine a situation where you test for a week with a deck, drive 5 hours to a PTQ just to start off 1-2. Previously, you could continue to play and risk damaging your rating, or drop, and that was pretty much your option. Now you actually get some entertainment value out of all of that investment.

In regards to Magic-League: This is a change that is impossible to make without
1. a major change to the site's code
2. a reset of everybody's rating to zero.

The reason that we need to reset everybody's rating to 0 is that we used to archive match results every so often to save space.
Conkisstador

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I continue to hear "fear of losing rating" and "losing too much to a bad opponent." man up, pansy-hats. the system is balanced.

while i think that magic participation from FNM and up will explode upwards, this change is horrible for idle players. Players like me are at a distinct disadvantage because now the only way to qualify or play on the Pro Tour is to win a PTQ. And then you can't just top50 ad stay 'on the train-' you have to qualify again.
Freebirds

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the new system because it says even if you win ptq's and such all the time you still need to stay active to go to PT's and such.
niknight

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conkisstador wrote:
I continue to hear "fear of losing rating" and "losing too much to a bad opponent." man up, pansy-hats. the system is balanced.

while i think that magic participation from FNM and up will explode upwards, this change is horrible for idle players. Players like me are at a distinct disadvantage because now the only way to qualify or play on the Pro Tour is to win a PTQ. And then you can't just top50 ad stay 'on the train-' you have to qualify again.

You can also Q for the Tour by having a sufficiently high Pro Level (which is not going away). You also need to remember that GP's have a multiplier of 8, and PT's have a multiplier of 12 to all points earned. Making day 2 of a Pro Tour will provide more points than 2 months of FNM. This actually makes it a bit easier to stay on Tour once you get there.

Is the system perfect, no... but it's an improvement over the ELO system. Qualifying for Nats or a PT (or GP byes) by not playing for a few months is really a perverse way of doing it. And these people not playing denies the community of a way to take the points from those players.
MassO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Democrats must have gotten to the WoTC

There cannot be any more losers, everyone gets ice cream kiddies

What a F@#$ joke!
kendiggy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's hilarious, now you can LITERALLY be a Level 50 Archmage, not just on WoW, lol!

Seriously though, it does encourage players to come out and play. With more good players playing at FNMs, the scrubs will have their chance to get better by playing better players. It's a great move for the game as a whole, and the Pro's advocated it. This is NOT a bad thing, at all.
NahHolmes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't really change very much for 99% of Magic players. Most of the people with byes at GPs play a lot anyways and it's such a pain to keep a high rating when you play in lots of smaller events. With the new system I should be able to easily get 1 round bye at a GP just playing the same as I have been which is pretty much where I was at anyways with ratings.

The main thing this does that will actually affect people is weed out the scrubs who did good in a couple of big events and got really high ratings on the back of broken decks then went into a shell and refused to play anyone unless they knew they would win.

The #1 rated Eternal player in the world right now is just some scrub who's been beating up on the same group of semi-casual local players for the past 10 years and will drop from an event and go home if he thinks anyone in the room has a chance of actually beating him (oh and don't forget bribing the local scrubs with cards worth more than the prize support of the event to scoop if they are about to beat him).
Strid3r

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

niknight wrote:
In general: I personally love this change. It encourages people to actually PLAY MAGIC. Evan Erwin said it best, no longer do you have to worry about sitting on your rating to Q for an event, nor do you have to drop an event at 3-0 so you can maintain your ratings byes. Imagine a situation where you test for a week with a deck, drive 5 hours to a PTQ just to start off 1-2. Previously, you could continue to play and risk damaging your rating, or drop, and that was pretty much your option. Now you actually get some entertainment value out of all of that investment.

In regards to Magic-League: This is a change that is impossible to make without
1. a major change to the site's code
2. a reset of everybody's rating to zero.

The reason that we need to reset everybody's rating to 0 is that we used to archive match results every so often to save space.

I am happy that the head judge shares my opinion at least for once this time ^^
GreenBear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep this rewards loyalty and playing a lot its quantity over quality. It cant reflect people getting worse at magic which they do. It also rewards playing for longer and makes it an up hill struggle for talented new players.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2