Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hunted

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern
Balaviaris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Hunted Reply with quote

Here's a transition of a legacy deck i was trying a while ago, to our beloved modern.

// Lands
4 Darkslick Shores
4 Drowned Catacomb
4 Verdant Catacombs
2 Marsh Flats
4 Watery Grave
2 Swamp
2 Island

// Creatures
4 Hunted Horror
4 Eater of Days

// Spells
4 Muddle the mixture
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Torpor Orb
4 Ponder
4 Preordain
3 Trickbind
4 Mana leak
4 Thirst for knowledge

// Sideboard
3 Black Sun's Zenith
3 Flashfreeze
3 Mindbreak Trap
3 Dismember
3 Engineered Explosives

The idea is simple: Get torpor orb down (find it with ponders/preordains/dark confidant), then you can play any of the creatures without worrying about the drawbacks. Trickbind can substitute torpor orb, and can deal with a lot other stuff too (like fetchlands or storm). I got a couple of greaves cause there is nothing cooler than a t4 9/8 flyer trampler haster with shroud Smile . Finally, inquisition makes sure your stuff don't get removed or countered. The main problem of the deck is it's lack of mainboard removal, thus the matchups with aggro decks are a pain, so in sideboard i threw a lot of anti-aggro cards. Decks like splinter-twin, caw-faeries, melira (which use a lot of ETB creatures) are usually too easy to beat cause of mainboard torpor. I haven't tested too much though, so i cant be sure of matchups with control or other decks.

And here's my first player lost with the deck Smile

I'm not sure which creatures are better to keep, and dunno if 8 finishers are enough, but i gotta make some space for main counterspells or removal... Any suggestions/ideas?

After first edit: I removed some "not so necessary" cards, and added the muddle as instructed, thirst for knowledge to discard the extra orbs, and mana leaks for more protection. Seems better?

Last edited by Balaviaris on Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Taoofss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

muddle the mixture
NightLoki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I was about to go on a long diatribe, but here's what I've figured out (so we don't have to tl;dr this)

Core:
4 Hunted Horror
4 Eater of Days
4 Torpor Orb
2-4 Trickbind
4 Muddle the Mixture (you really want this card)

Other definitely needed:
4 Ponder
4 Preordain
4 Inquisition of Kozilek

These are the cards we don't mess with too much, since they're key to the function of the deck. Now you gotta figure out exactly how many fatties you want, which fatties you want, and how much disruption you need. I'd recommend some number of Duress and/or Mana Leak seeing as how you don't kill fast enough for Remand to be hugely relevant. I like the Greaves, but understand you only really want one, so I'd keep 'em at that number in the maindeck. The two things you really want to do are to figure out if 22 lands is too much and see if those are the right fatties. Above all else, test test test. Sorry I couldn't give you more, my MWS isn't installed just yet.
Astarael

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leveler is an ok 5 drop with Torpor Orb.
MassO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on muddle....

Eater is good but expensive for the deck....should have nothing over 3 mana main deck.

I play damnation sb......because you can hold your creatures, damnation, then go off against....merfolk, fae, doran, gobs, vamps, zoo and all other decks.

Pithing needle is a must sb.....gets rid of birthing pod and Sceptor and so many other things

You should probably play Nyxathid main deck, helps on the curve and if you neglect to find a orb then having a 5/5 or 6/6 for 3 is good enough.

Also consider Echoing Truth or Ratchet bombs.....if you go this route i would suggest the Hunted Phantasm instead.

You could keep the confidants but they seem to get in the way. You have 12 cards that search.....with MtM, Preordain, Ponder. IoK are needed main.

Try Ancestral visions, if your able to drop one turn one, you are usually refilling your hand in order to either get the combo out or finish them off. Also, 2 lightning greaves are just right. You don't want to piece everything together just to have your opp. Path to exile your creature which is used in 60 percent of all decks.
silverbullet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

except ancestral vision is banned in modern.
Balaviaris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masso:

Birthing pod uses creatures with come to play abilities, with orb they just put vanilla creatures in, there should be any worries, and Nyxathid doesnt work with torpor orb sadly Smile , Thanks for the tips though! (and yeah ancestral is banned ><)
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sky Swallower is a better 5drop than leveler due to evasion

But i do not think this deck really wants a 5drop in the first place.
MassO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does actually work:

Nyxathid comes into play choose an opponent.......this doesn't trigger if orb is in play which means there are no -1/-1 counter to put on it because no opponent is chosen
Astarael

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MassO wrote:
it does actually work:

Nyxathid comes into play choose an opponent.......this doesn't trigger if orb is in play which means there are no -1/-1 counter to put on it because no opponent is chosen

The key word in Nyxathid is "As". This is not a triggered ability and not affected by Torpor Orb.

Triggered abilities use the words At, When or Whenever.
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On top of that nyx does not get counter placed on it. Its a static negative anthem.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1