Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good m12 pool in my gpt today, constructive opinions please!

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
[-a-L-e-]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Good m12 pool in my gpt today, constructive opinions please! Reply with quote

Hi everyone! Today i went to a gpt and i've received a pretty good pool. The only problem was that the good cards were like in EVERY colors, and so the deck was not to easy to build at his best. Here's the list of my pool!

ARTIFACTS:
1 [M12] Crumbling Colossus
1 [M12] Druidic Satchel
1 [M12] Demon's Horn
1 [M12] Dragon's Claw
1 [M12] Elixir of Immortality

BLACK:
1 [M12] Reassembling Skeleton
2 [M12] Warpath Ghoul
1 [M12] Zombie Goliath
1 [M12] Royal Assassin
1 [M12] Duskhunter Bat
1 [M12] Bloodrage Vampire
1 [M12] Blood Seeker
1 [M12] Vampire Outcasts
1 [M12] Taste of Blood
1 [M12] Sorin's Vengeance
1 [M12] Sorin's Thirst
1 [M12] Doom Blade
1 [M12] Dark Favor
1 [M12] Hideous Visage
1 [M12] Brink of Disaster

GREEN:
1 [M12] Carnage Wurm
1 [M12] Skinshifter
1 [M12] Llanowar Elves
1 [M12] Sacred Wolf
1 [M12] Greater Basilisk
1 [M12] Vastwood Gorger
1 [M12] Garruk's Companion
2 [M12] Arachnus Web
1 [M12] Bountiful Harvest
1 [M12] Lure
1 [M12] Autumn's Veil
1 [M12] Hunter's Insight

RED:
1 [M12] Goblin Bangchuckers
1 [M12] Fiery Hellhound
2 [M12] Goblin Tunneler
1 [M12] Gorehorn Minotaurs
1 [M12] Lightning Elemental
1 [M12] Goblin Fireslinger
1 [M12] Volcanic Dragon
2 [M12] Goblin War Paint
1 [M12] Circle of Flame
1 [M12] Manabarbs
2 [M12] Lava Axe
1 [M12] Firebreathing
1 [M12] Chandra's Outrage
2 [M12] Act of Treason
1 [M12] Fling

BLUE:
1 [M12] Aven Fleetwing
1 [M12] Harbor Serpent
1 [M12] Merfolk Mesmerist
1 [M12] Chasm Drake
1 [M12] AEther Adept
2 [M12] Frost Breath
1 [M12] Levitation
1 [M12] Divination
2 [M12] Ponder
1 [M12] Cancel
1 [M12] Redirect
1 [M12] Mana Leak
2 [M12] Unsummon

WHITE:
1 [M12] Arbalest Elite
1 [M12] Stonehorn Dignitary
1 [M12] Serra Angel
1 [M12] Griffin Sentinel
1 [M12] Griffin Rider
2 [M12] Benalish Veteran
1 [M12] Auramancer
1 [M12] Armored Warhorse
1 [M12] Mesa Enchantress
1 [M12] Roc Egg
1 [M12] Pacifism
1 [M12] Celestial Purge
2 [M12] Angel's Mercy

The only certain fact for me was that i was going to play black (royal assassin, sorin's vengeance, doom blade, vampire outcats, sorin's thirst, ecc...) and druid satchel. The second color took me the full time to decide to go with it and was...green. I guess that seems strange, black-green aren't the best combination of colors, but here's my thoughts while i was builing the deck:

FIRST: i want some removals! The white was offering me only a pacifism and an arbalest elite, the red had chandra's outrange and, if we want to consider it as removal, the combination of 2x act of treason and one fling, and the blue had only some tempo cards (2x unsummon and 2x frost breath) that i don't really like in a slow deck how it was suppose to be my blue-black. Instead, green had a greater basilisk (that i consider like a "destroy target nonflying creature" with legs and the possibility to kill an annoying hexproof too) and 2x arachnus web, that i really like 'cause stops also abilities (gideon lawkeeper, cc2 mages), while, for example, pacifism don't.

SECOND: i really like blue in this limited, and the spells were all good (2x frost breath, 2x unsummon, aether adept, chasm drake, mana leak, cancel, divination, 2x ponder...) but when i've tried to build the deck like a blue-black control the creatures count was embarassing...there was 11 creatures =_=. So i've just give up the idea of the blue-black control, despite having such good cards.

THIRD: in my pool there isn't a fixer like rampant growth or manalith, so i've also istant-rejected the idea of playing three colors or even two colors with a little splash...i don't want to hope to draw THAT land to cast THAT spell, also the BBB of sorin's vengeance and the BB of royal assassin wasn't suggest to play three colors.

FOURTH: focusing on the "creatures count" thing, the red was weak just as the blue and i'm convinced that a good sealed must had at least 16-17 creatures of 22/23 spells to be good, so i've then have to decide which color pick between white and green. The green was giving me:
1 [M12] Carnage Wurm
1 [M12] Skinshifter
1 [M12] Llanowar Elves
1 [M12] Sacred Wolf
1 [M12] Greater Basilisk
1 [M12] Vastwood Gorger

and the white...
1 [M12] Arbalest Elite
1 [M12] Serra Angel
1 [M12] Griffin Sentinel
1 [M12] Griffin Rider
2 [M12] Benalish Veteran
1 [M12] Auramancer
1 [M12] Armored Warhorse

In every color there was a bomb (serra angel / skinshifter) and a "removal-creature" (greater basilisk / arbalest elite), also their power level was similar to me, so i've to decide by comparing the others commons/uncommons...i've to decide for green because i've already to go to seven mana because of sorin's vengeance, so casting big guys like carnage wurm and gorger even if i don't like them so much, it wouldn't be a proble, and llanowar elves was helping ramp while allowing some aggressive starts (like land llanowar elves, land dusk-bat bloodthirsted if the opponent doesn't had action on t1). While i was thinking that, i remember of my thought of "arachnus web>>pacifism" and so i've finally built that deck:

9 swamps
8 forests
1 [M12] Carnage Wurm
1 [M12] Skinshifter
1 [M12] Llanowar Elves
1 [M12] Sacred Wolf
1 [M12] Greater Basilisk
1 [M12] Vastwood Gorger
2 [M12] Arachnus Web
2 [M12] Warpath Ghoul
1 [M12] Zombie Goliath
1 [M12] Royal Assassin
1 [M12] Duskhunter Bat
1 [M12] Blood Seeker
1 [M12] Vampire Outcasts
1 [M12] Sorin's Thirst
1 [M12] Doom Blade
1 [M12] Brink of Disaster
1 [M12] Druidic Satchel

I was pretty happy with my deck, but things went really bad. We were 19 players and, i'm serious here, there was like 4-5 players that were really want to go to the gp (milan, btw) and are at my level or better. Sounds pretty arrogant, i know, but that wasn't only my opinion. My superior skill (i'm not THAT good, but i mean...in the top8 there was a guy that took a worldslayer p1p1, he drafted a monoblack with 3x distress and things like that. The level of the other guys was THAT.) and the fact that i was conviced to have built the deck in the correct way was lead me to an easy top8...or to a sad 1-3!

turn1: GW aura-hexproof
I hate that deck. Hexproof guys with auras are just insane, and just like in the first turn of the nationals, i was destroyed by a "land 1/1 hexproof" on t1 followed by a turn four angelic destiny. I was racing the monstrous 5/5 flying first strike hexproof with my 4/4 lifelink vampires, but then a pacifism took it out of games, and then i've died. In g2 there wasn't the mythic aura but my opponent goes with:
t1 "forest, llanowar elves"
t2 "plains, sacred wolf"
t3 "divine favor, gain three, i swing with a 4/4 hexproof, forest, garruk's companion...go"
Of course i've failed to draw some fat guys to stop the 4/4 hexproof, and i've died after i've took the companion with sorin's thirst and he took my vampire outcats 4/4 with the pacifism, again.

0-2, 0-1

t2: BGW greedy bombs
I've win 2-0 against this guy that weren't as bad as other guys, but was probably too greedy when he builded the decks...he was a playing a full tricolor deck without a fixer and very mana intensive spells (i've seen his deck after i won and i remember: overrun, sorin's vengeance, garruk's companion x2, drifting shades, consume spirit, arbalest elite, alabaster mage...and zero fixers). In both games he got stucked with one or two spells in hand and zero/one land of the color of those spells.

2-0, 1-1

t3: GWr control
the guy was one of the good ones and also my friend/driver of that day...he had a good deck but with an embarassing creatures count and overrun, day of judment and fireball x2. G1 i've took the control of the game with druid satchel while we were both flooded.
G2 and G3 i've kept a starting hand with 4 lands and 3 spells and after a lot of 1x1 exchange i just ended drawing only lands (both games i died with 11 lands in play and 3-4 in hand).

1-2, 1-2

t4: GWU
instead this was one of the..."bad" guys. G1 i didn't even played, i've just shuffled a lot xD. I've started my game with four card in hand and just get stomped. G2 i've easily won with a t2 skinshifter unanswered, g3, after i've mulliganed to six, i've kept this six: 2 forest, 2 swamp, sorin's thirst, greater basilisk. Sorin's thirst was buying me the time i will probably need to recover from the slow start and i've already had the lands to cast everything i would draw expect sorin's vengeance and gorger. I've snap keep the hand and died with the incredible score of 16/17 lands on the battlefield/in hand.

1-2, 1-3, drop.
Ok, that wasn't one of my lucky day, but...where i've mistaken? in the GB build there was room for lure to "combo" with greater basilisk? Hunter's Insight and crumbling colossus wasn't deserving a slot? Brink of disaster is that bad? And then, a UB control with very few creatures was viable? White vs green was easy to choice?

And for the last question, the red was totally unplayable? i was think that while building and i've rejected the color without thinking too much, but at a second look...

1 [M12] Goblin Bangchuckers
1 [M12] Fiery Hellhound
2 [M12] Goblin Tunneler
1 [M12] Gorehorn Minotaurs
1 [M12] Goblin Fireslinger
1 [M12] Volcanic Dragon
2 [M12] Lava Axe
1 [M12] Chandra's Outrage
2 [M12] Act of Treason
1 [M12] Fling

...those cards aren't that bad. My problem with them was that i had to draw them "in pair" (act of treason+fling, fiery hollound+goblin tunneler) or in the right moment (lava axe only in late, fireslinger only early, ecc).

I dunno. At the tournament today i was also built a UW deck to switch the entire deck, but in the end it wasn't like a deck was good against slow decks and the other one was good against fast decks, they were just two good decks...so, because i was felt pretty confident with the BG build and thought it was just stronger, i've never switched. The second deck was like that:

9 islands
8 plains
1 [M12] Crumbling Colossus
1 [M12] Druidic Satchel
1 [M12] Aven Fleetwing
1 [M12] Chasm Drake
1 [M12] AEther Adept
2 [M12] Frost Breath
1 [M12] Divination
2 [M12] Ponder
1 [M12] Cancel
1 [M12] Mana Leak
2 [M12] Unsummon
1 [M12] Arbalest Elite
1 [M12] Stonehorn Dignitary
1 [M12] Serra Angel
1 [M12] Griffin Sentinel
2 [M12] Benalish Veteran
1 [M12] Armored Warhorse
1 [M12] Roc Egg
1 [M12] Pacifism

Thanks for every comment and/or criticize i will receive...and sorry for my english, i know it kinda sucks.
asamodious

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i defiantly would have went with BR. Double lava axe and volcanic dragon is a lot of reach after you get in withfast beats while goblin slinger and blood seeker are easily bringing them low enough to finish them off quick. Not to mention goblin tunneler would have been good especially with a hellhound. And goblin war paint has been huge for me in sealed. Not to mention act of treason and fling action..And this color combination also made you sorin's that much better because of the burn.

You undervalued the red cards and overvalued the green cards. Green is a very weak color overall..all you had was a bunch of big dudes that couldn't push thru and a deck that wasn't very synergistic at all.

If you would have built your deck BR you would have had a serious shot at a top 8 and i wouldn't be mad at all to have that as my deck in a gpt.

and crumbling colossus would have been like mvp of that deck too. Beat for seven....fling u!
Krusader

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARTIFACTS:
1 [M12] Druidic Satchel

BLACK:
2 [M12] Warpath Ghoul
1 [M12] Royal Assassin
1 [M12] Duskhunter Bat
1 [M12] Vampire Outcasts
1 [M12] Sorin's Thirst
1 [M12] Doom Blade
1 [M12] Dark Favor

Blue:
1 [M12] Aven Fleetwing
1 [M12] Harbor Serpent
1 [M12] Chasm Drake
1 [M12] AEther Adept
1 [M12] Frost Breath
1 [M12] Divination
2 [M12] Ponder
1 [M12] Cancel
1 [M12] Mana Leak
1 [M12] Unsummon

I think this was the deck you should have used. I know people will say 11 creatures is impossible to win with but, this deck would have given you control of most matches. Frost Breath is underrated imo since it freeze 2 guys for 2 turns.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the second colors you could have chosen, green is the only one that just couldn't cut it. I think you are overvaluing Greater Basilisk and I don't see any problem at all with only having 11 creatures.
maps

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B[
Ashmatan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. I just think he has my luck. the BG build sounds fine. Hunters insight is awesome. Lady luck just said "NO" to you that day. Better to be lucky than good at this game bro. Thats all I can say.
OK I lied.
-1 Vastwood Gorger
-1 Zombie Goliath or Brink of Disaster (prob Brink)
+1 Elixir of Immortality (preference, reshuffle dead guys, get removal back and save your ass)
+1 Hunter's Insight (AWESOME)
fdart17

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would of went BR.
The colors in Red are much more suited to play with your black style. As mentioned above fireslinger and blood seeker can bring ur opp down to lava axe range with a bit of work.
Also, collosus + 2 act of treasons + fling is awesome.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1