Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the best deck?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Sligh_Br

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: What's the best deck? Reply with quote

Now that all have been said and done and Standard has only a few more weeks of life in it's current form, I'm gonna ask you guys. What's the best Standard deck right now and why?

I'm only looking for serious and well-thought-out answers, this is the reason I didn't make it into a pool. So, anyone?
P_P4E

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twin.

You can literally beat any deck game 1 easily, and then game 2 you get to adjust your answers to their hate accordingly. Once people cut the shitty lavamancers for more "un-hate" its going to be known as the best deck.
NahHolmes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mono-Red.
You completely roll almost every deck in the format unless they get a nuts draw, then even if they bring in 12 SB cards they still have to win the next 2 games to get the match. I'm like X-1-1 vs. Caw Blade decks in probably 20+ events with my mono-red and the one loss was my first week with the deck before I reconciled the sideboard and added Heros. Any control deck is a bye and any other deck has multiple sideboard answers.
P_P4E

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NahHolmes wrote:
Mono-Red.
You completely roll almost every deck in the format unless they get a nuts draw, then even if they bring in 12 SB cards they still have to win the next 2 games to get the match. I'm like X-1-1 vs. Caw Blade decks in probably 20+ events with my mono-red and the one loss was my first week with the deck before I reconciled the sideboard and added Heros. Any control deck is a bye and any other deck has multiple sideboard answers.

twin is everything you say red is, but it beats red.

Case in point!
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P_P4E wrote:
NahHolmes wrote:
Mono-Red.

Case in point!

Twin does not beat red. How do you get around combust?
P_P4E

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AppleofEris wrote:
P_P4E wrote:
NahHolmes wrote:
Mono-Red.

Case in point!

Twin does not beat red. How do you get around combust?

SB Mutagenic growth FTW?
Halldir

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the main thing is that in twin, you have to draw 2 of 8 cards in your deck... in rdw, you just draw, play and kill:)
Strid3r

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the best deck is either cawblade or GWU birthing pod. Twin is fragile. RDW loses to timely reinforcements.
Mitchmachine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no Actual best deck, its like rock paper scissors between:

Tier 1:

CAW BLADE
Twin
Mono Red

Tier 2:

Valakut
Birthing Pod
UB control
Tempered Steel
Eldrazi Ramp

Personally i am most comfort with caw blade.
Since there is no actual hate against the deck, and that makes it harder to beat.
It mulligans the best and got game against the other tier1 decks.
Sligh_Br

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MitchMachine wrote:
There is no Actual best deck, its like rock paper scissors

Really? And what beats what? I beg to disagree, there's no Rock, Paper, Scisor enviroment here. Does Caw Blade beats Red, Red beats Twin and Twin beats Caw Blade? Not really.

It's more like "Twin beats Red if it has the combo in hand and beats Caw Blade if it draws more anti-hate." Red beats Twin if Twin don't have combo until turn 4-5 and beats Caw Blade if they draw no Reinforcements/whatever other appropriate answers." And Caw Blade beats both Red and Twin if it draws the appropriate answers in the appropriate time."

This seem to me like a lot of "ifs" and "mays" to be called Rock-Paper-Scisors.
Mitchmachine

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More like Twin beats Mono Red
Mono Red Beats Caw Blade
Caw blade beats Twin

do your homework Smile
Sligh_Br

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MitchMachine wrote:
Mono Red Beats Caw Blade
Caw blade beats Twin

do your homework Smile

That's preciselly what I'm saying it's false, even if I'd agree with your analysis if you substitute "beats" for "has more than 50% game 1 against". The interactions between these decks are REALLY draw-dependant. All these match ups can go either way and this depend more on specific cards then the overall deck.
Kabelis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sligh_Br wrote:
MitchMachine wrote:
Mono Red Beats Caw Blade
Caw blade beats Twin

do your homework Smile

That's preciselly what I'm saying it's false, even if I'd agree with your analysis if you substitute "beats" for "has more than 50% game 1 against". The interactions between these decks are REALLY draw-dependant. All these match ups can go either way and this depend more on specific cards then the overall deck.

Well, given enough games, the better deck will win more. When we talk about MUs, we don't account for draw dependent variance.
Imagine that these decks played a million matches against each other and draw the conclusions from that.

Btw I'm not claiming what he said was true, just pointing out some technical shenanigans
P_P4E

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

id like to know why you people think cawblade beats twin.

The versions now with lavamancer...have lavamancer. Which ranches cawblade.

caw has AT MOST 5 instants that interact with the combo that aren't mana leak (basically a dead card in this matchup, surprisingly) which is more than most decks to be fair (if you run the full 5, but i think more people play 3) but still not nearly enough.

The clock is pretty slow. You can't really cast gideon/titan for value, and you can't really activate colonaide.

post board alot of cawblade has torpor orb, and not spellskite. Probably like a celestial purge also, but not much else. You bring in some shatter effects, mental misstep if you think they have mental misstep, maybe if they have an unusually high number of dismember you bring in a mutagenic growth or two, etc.

Their god-draws are good against you, as im sure most people that are saying cawblade beats twin have seen (the merfolk legacy type draws) but other than that... you have no chance. No turn 2 hawk no possible way you win against a good twin player.

Mono red should beat cawblade but you can just board in a lot and not lose to it. Which is why I think cawblade is clearly the 2nd best deck right now. It can adapt to beat caw or twin if it needs to...but beating twin usually requires a bunch of cards that aren't awesome in other matchups.

That being said, you can just play like 4 torpor orb and 4 spellskite in your sb, which have uses in other matchups. Obviously this much probably means you lose to RDW or the mirror, but who knows?

In a wide open meta, twin is the best. I'd stake money on it!
boeda

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, my deck is the best.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2