Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UG Ramp Control

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: UG Ramp Control Reply with quote

so here is my latest brew. The original reason I attempted this build in the first place was because of how powerful it was in the stone-forge mystic era (though the list looked a lot different). I loved playing it back then and just wanted to play around with it. To my surprise however, it turned out to be quite viable. The combination of ramp, draw, and powerful threats makes this deck very tough to beat. This deck has a very favorable match up against control (caw, UB, Tezz) a good mu vs. aggro (temp steel, rdw, illusions), birthing pod is a buy for you, and valakut is bad but not terrible. Now that the introduction is over, here is the list that I am currently working with.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
3 [WWK] Tectonic Edge
4 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
8 [SOM] Island (1)
6 [M12] Forest (3)
3 [MBS] Inkmoth Nexus

// Creatures
3 [MBS] Consecrated Sphinx
4 [M12] Solemn Simulacrum
1 [ROE] Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
3 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine

// Spells
3 [M11] Jace Beleren
4 [ROE] All Is Dust
4 [M11] Preordain
3 [MBS] Sphere of the Suns
4 [WWK] Explore
2 [WWK] Nature's Claim
1 [SOM] Contagion Engine
4 [WWK] Everflowing Chalice

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [MBS] Consecrated Sphinx
SB: 1 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine
SB: 1 [WWK] Nature's Claim
SB: 4 [NPH] Torpor Orb
SB: 1 [ROE] Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
SB: 4 [SOM] Volition Reins
SB: 3 [M11] Obstinate Baloth

The idea of the deck is to spend the early game ramping, and on turn 4 drop a 6 mana threat, this is where preordain, explore, jace, and solemn really help get you the threat's you need. Then usually you will drop all is dust and completely take over the game with your massive amount of power and card advantage.

Stratagy:

Caw-ramp and ramp a lot. if caw decides to try to counter your ramping, you will only have to wait till turn 6 to drop a sphinx or a wurmcoil engine. Sphinx is sooooo hard for them to beat because they don't run instant speed removal outside of dismember so you always get the two cards if not more (especially in conjunction with jace). Wurmcoil is also a Very large thorn in their side, but it is more susceptible to condemn. What really makes wurmcoil so good though is that it puts caw on the defensive immediately, and lets you regain the life you lost in the early game where you were getting pecked to death. Usually once you stick on of these large threats caw will more then likely stop holding counter magic back and start dropping things like planeswalkers, or try to overrun you by overcomiting to the board. That is when you drop all is dust and seal the game.
SB:
Out:-1 contagion engine -1 ulamog
in: +1 natures claim +1 emrakul

all you really need is the extra insurance against sword and o-ring, and emrakul is there to just win the spot since you know you are in for a long game.

other non caw control decks follow more or less the same game plan, overwhelm them with a powerful threat, then if need be, all is dust them.

UB SB:
Out:-2 natures claims
In: +1 sphinx +1 wurmcoil

Tezz SB:
Out: -2 all is dust -1 contagion engine
in:+1 natures claim +1wurmcoil +1sphinx

RDW: Game 1 is usually about whether or not you can turn 4 a wurmcoil without your opponent drawing "the nutz."
SB:
Out: -2 natures claims -1 ulamog -1 all is dust
In: +3 obstinate baloths +1 wurmcoil engine
post board is MUUUUUCH better since you can turn 3 a baloth. RDW needs to kill you before you can start swinging with your wurmcoils and baloth buys you enough time to do that, at his worst he will undo some damage and take away a burn spell, and usually he does way more then that.

Temp Steal:
G1 is quite difficult considering their blazing pace, basically you need to slow them down long enough to drop wurmcoil. Make sure to keep their steel overloards of the field.
SB:
Out: -2 all is dust -1 contagion engine -1 sphere of the suns -1 ulamog
In: +3 obstinate baloth +1 natures claim +1 wurmcoil

post board much better now, natures claim takes out nearly everything in their deck that you would be worried about, and you get the baloths again to buy you time to cast your sphinxes and wurmcoils.

Pods: This deck wrecks pod decks simply put. Most of their deck is colored, so all is dust becomes a mostly one sided planar cleansing on a permanent based deck. After that wining is usually elementary.

SB:
Out: -4 solemn simulacrum -1 contagion engine
In: +4 torpor orb +1 natures claim

post board you now gain torpor orbs and an extra natures claim, by landing torpor orb you basically reduce their deck to a bunch of vanilla creatures and a birthing pod. Sometimes you start to feel like a bad person in this matchup.

Exarch Twin- What I have learned from playing against this deck is that it is solely focused on dropping the combo. It spends a ton of time just searching it's deck for the pieces and getting ready to play it. G1....soooo bad. You opponent just needs the combo and nix. If you can beat him before he does that awesome.

SB:
Out: -4 all is dust -1 contation engine -1 solemn simulacrum -1 ulamog
In: +4 torpor orb +1 natures claim +2 volition reigns

Much better, with how the metagame has shifted most Twin pilots have spent less slots on being able to deal with the orb and more spots on dealing with dismember. Leaving them with only 1 or 2 into the roils to deal with our torpor orbs. The orbs usually buy us enough time to ramp up and kill our opponent.

Valakut:
G1 is just bad, hope your opponent stumbles on mana however unlikely that is, and try to pound his face before he recoveres/draws the threat he needs to win

SB:
Out: -4 all is dust -2 natures claim -1 contagion engine -1 solemn simulacrum
In: +4 torpor orb +4 volition reigns
now hopefully you can execute your plan torpor orb is pretty important, you make the titans wait a turn, and you make avenger into a vanilla 5/5. Then hopefully you have volition reigns to steal their titan and finish him before he finishes you, but still bad MU.

and that is the end of my matchup review. If you have any questions about matchups that I may have missed, or anything else feel free to ask.

as always, feedback is very much appreciated, the comments are usually quite helpful and help me make my decks better. I Hope you enjoyed this deck and please let me know what you think
doc_morriar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there! i like the look of your list. seems like fun to play. and a decent way to make your opponents jaw drop when you hard cast an ulamog. Razz

My one query (without actually sleeving up and testing) is...
If you only bring in voilition reins vs valakut and twin, then surely there is a cheaper and less mana intensive answer to both those decks?

i understand that most twin decks are trying to deal with dismember, but last i recalled they only play 3 mountains. spreading seas seems like an excellent answer to valakut (obviously) on toop of natures claim it seems you have great control.
other answers are
spellskite (good in both those m/us also.)
Frost Titan (mainly for tapping down green mana and titans vs V
also have you considered the karninator?
i know hes a seven drop, and i know hes mediocre. but he kills things that all is dust cannot (Valakut)

Hope this gives you something to think about
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trying out spreading seas, but I really want to keep the torpor orbs in because they wreck pod and twin and help out against valakut. I like your idea of trying out frosty. I took out the volition reigns, the two six drop creatures and emrakul for 4 spreading seas and 3 frost titans. Let you know how it works out.
eternal42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems natures claim gets bearded in a lot, would it be worth increasing the count to 4 total?
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna have to agree, I'm trying out -1 all is dust +1 natures claim, it's just SOOOOOO good right now.
doc_morriar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after sleeving up the deck, i have realised how vital natures claim is, 3/3 split between all is dust and natures claim is good.
ive beaten 3 mono red decks saccing my own artifact for the life
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so here is the latest list

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
6 [ROE] Forest (1)
8 [ROE] Island (1)
3 [MBS] Inkmoth Nexus
3 [WWK] Tectonic Edge

// Creatures
3 [MBS] Consecrated Sphinx
3 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine
1 [ROE] Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
4 [M12] Solemn Simulacrum

// Spells
3 [WWK] Nature's Claim
3 [M11] Jace Beleren
3 [MBS] Sphere of the Suns
4 [WWK] Everflowing Chalice
1 [SOM] Contagion Engine
3 [ROE] All Is Dust
4 [WWK] Explore
4 [M11] Preordain

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [WWK] Nature's Claim
SB: 4 [NPH] Torpor Orb
SB: 3 [M11] Obstinate Baloth
SB: 4 [ZEN] Spreading Seas
SB: 3 [M12] Frost Titan

I am loving the 3 md nature's claims, they are awesome any time you are not playing against valakut and as doc_morriar points out, they can be used for some lifegain against aggro decks. Frosties are working out great for the deck, you can bring them in against aggro, valakut and control decks. Haven't used spreading seas much yet so I can't comment on their effectiveness.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1