Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Double faced cards

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
magicman85

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:01 am    Post subject: Double faced cards Reply with quote

I just saw that for innistrad they are going to use double faced cards that transform so players will have to use opaque sleeves or take the card out of the sleeve, flip it and put it back in the sleeve. This seems like a terrible idea to me but what do you guys think about it?
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely terrible idea - taking an old mechanic(flip cards) and making it difficult to play with. Presumably this is some sort of money making gimmick.
struikje

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it Very Happy. Perhaps a bit inconvenient, but I love how the werewolves look so I don't mind ^^
Dzy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea but it's just terrible when playing with them. Using sleeves in play is horrible with them, however you are unable to play without sleeves (because your opponent can see the card in your hand then), even if you dont have them you cannot play without sleeves in draft because your opponent will know you don't have them, and in the actual drafting itself it's horrible because everyone will see you pick a two-faced card, and even which one...
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Card: The standard component of the game: a Magic card with a Magic card front and a Magic card back.

The Magic card front has power, toughness, cost, picture etc;
the Magic card back has the brown thing, the mana circle.

Therefore what you've seen is maybe token or special cards, not for deckbuilding.

Edit:I now read the announcement, they state indeed it's not regular magic cards. I think it's a terrible idea: it forces limited-players to play with good sleeves, or to use awful checklists.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Magic can do this, does that mean they are gonna take Deckmaster off the back of their cards?

I've been wanting to make a game company called Deckmaster, copyright the name, then sue Magic!
Halldir

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the idea is not bad at alll.... im happy that wotc still have some ideas, better than run out of them...
Astarael

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CMA-Flippi wrote:
Card: The standard component of the game: a Magic card with a Magic card front and a Magic card back.

The Magic card front has power, toughness, cost, picture etc;
the Magic card back has the brown thing, the mana circle.

Therefore what you've seen is maybe token or special cards, not for deckbuilding.

Edit:I now read the announcement, they state indeed it's not regular magic cards. I think it's a terrible idea: it forces limited-players to play with good sleeves, or to use awful checklists.

The card itself is double sided, picture on both sides.

For drafting or for those who don't use sleeves there is a checklist card in many of the Innistrad packs which you can tick off and substitute in library/hand/etc to have a normal backed card. Then you use the actual double sided card once in play.
EatsMortals

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they suck so hard for irl magic, but are awesome in MODO... its a good day if you play on MODO, oh well.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Halldir: But this idea isn't new, it's exactly the same as a mechnic from Kamigawa block.

@Astarael: The checklist card doesn't help for drafting, only for playing.
Sligh_Br

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the mechanic.

I'd rather they had just printed it as 2 separate cards: 1 with the normal backs and another with some sort of special back (preferably one similar to token cards, so that people could hide it more easily in draft). Both cards would ALWAYS be together in booster packs (and count as only 1 card).

But it still an improvement over flip cards (these just looked horrible) and now that I think about it, they could actualy add strategical depth in booster draft.
[paradox]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how exactly will this work on ml if at all????
Djinn
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On MWS you will have the Day version, then just use a note to mark it's been "flipped". Easy thing
Halldir

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xJudicatorx wrote:
@Halldir: But this idea isn't new, it's exactly the same as a mechnic from Kamigawa block.

its very different, in kami block, the flip could go only one-way, here it is different
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halldir wrote:
xJudicatorx wrote:

its very different, in kami block, the flip could go only one-way, here it is different

You're saying the big difference is....that it can flip back? I mean, this is a minor point.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2