Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modern Jund

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern
zebo_88

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Modern Jund Reply with quote

I know most of you has already seen some build of Jund in this new format, but since no topic has been created i decided to post mine. My build is really simple: i took tons of strong cards within black, red and green and put them together, making a powered copy of the deck from alara block. Tarmogoyf and Dark confidant inclusions are obvious, the Bloodbraids work as well as they worked in the old jund, with the downside of 4 damage if it's picked up with confidant. I chose a package of 8 discard spells (2 blightning, 3 kozilek, 3 thoughtseize) this last only on 3x because i'm going to hurt me really hard with all this pain so maybe one less thoughtseize for one more kozilek would make me suffer less. This format allows a far more solid mana base with fetches and ravnica duals, though the rate of damage i'm taking from my own lands. I thought that with a stronger mana base i could work with kargan dragonlord and figure of destiny (all lands except 2 produce red mana). I love these 2 cards, expecially the dragonlord.

Until now, it behaved pretty well against most deck types that have shown up in this format, the matchups that went really bad for me were:

1.when my opponent managed to stop my assault and took card advantage with cards as mulldrifter, eternal witness, solemn simulacrum

2.punishing fire is hurting me really bad

3.blood moon

I set 4x extirpate to fight punishing fire and cards like witness, against 12 post maybe extirpate on expedition map would do something, do you agree? Fallout is for Faeries, I thought about grip only to fight against t2 stoneforge t3 batterskull, but then stoneforge was banned, so...well... however krosan grip has shown to be useful, so i'm keeping them in my 75.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
4 [ZEN] Arid Mesa
2 [SOM] Blackcleave Cliffs
2 [SHM] Graven Cairns
2 [DIS] Blood Crypt
2 [SHM] Fire-Lit Thicket
1 [ZEN] Mountain (1a)
1 [ZEN] Mountain (3a)
2 [GP] Stomping Ground
2 [SOM] Copperline Gorge
1 [ZEN] Swamp (4)
1 [ZEN] Forest (1a)

// Creatures
4 [RAV] Dark Confidant
4 [ROE] Kargan Dragonlord
2 [EVE] Figure of Destiny
4 [ARB] Bloodbraid Elf
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf

// Spells
3 [ARB] Terminate
3 [ROE] Inquisition of Kozilek
2 [ALA] Blightning
4 [M11] Lightning Bolt
3 [LRW] Thoughtseize
3 [ARB] Maelstrom Pulse

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [LRW] Thoughtseize
SB: 1 [ARB] Maelstrom Pulse
SB: 3 [CFX] Volcanic Fallout
SB: 3 [TSP] Krosan Grip
SB: 3 [MBS] Creeping Corrsion
SB: 4 [PLC] Extirpate

Ok i think i've told you all i wanted to, i hope someone will be inspirated from my list, and over all i'm waiting every single comment to tell me what's wrong with this build and all your thoughts. Thank you, have fun!
HomieK

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take out all of the lands other then basic and shock and add more fetch and shocks, maybe manlands. You should add the punishing fire combo in your deck also. Kitchen finks may also work to counter all the self damage you do to yourself.
clayparson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonlord and Figure both seem like they set you up to get blown out by punishing fire way too often.
Spyx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kargan dragonlord is clearly terrible in a 3 color deck.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that targetted discard (thoughtseize, IoK) does not work well together with chosen discard(blightning, mind rot). I think you should choose one type or the other.

I think you should change your one drops to kird ape and grim lavamancer - the 3 toughness on kird ape is important and recurring burn is always powerful.
ChrRome

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HomieK wrote:
Take out all of the lands other then basic and shock and add more fetch and shocks, maybe manlands. You should add the punishing fire combo in your deck also. Kitchen finks may also work to counter all the self damage you do to yourself.

Lands like Copperline Gorge are generally better than Shock Lands. Shock lands are important to be able to fix your mana with fetches, but outside of having 1-2 of each of the on color ones there is no real reason to have more. Having just a bunch of fetches will also hurt as the damage becomes more relevant when you are taking 3 with each land drop.

Also, why is there no Putrid Leech. He can block most of Zoo's creatures really well and can at least protect himself from punishing fire if needed.

Figure of Destiny seems like an inefficient use of mana in a deck that looks like it's fairly mana hungry. Consider Kird Ape or something if you need a one-drop, or just skip it entirely. Kargan Dragonlord fits into the mana hungry problem as well.

In the case of Blightning, it seems wise to have either 0 or at least 3 so you can just get free wins off hitting 4 cards in their hand. Hitting with just one blightning generally won't disrupt their plans too much, while not interacting with the board at all.

Finally, if this becomes/is a format where Zoo is the most played deck, Dark Confidant seems bad. He is smaller than every other creature, dies to Punishing Fire, eats your life total (along with fetches, shocks, Zoo creatures hitting you in the face, burn spells) will make you die before his card advantage can put you in a situation to come back.
zebo_88

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of your advice are really useful. I've finally cut FoD and Kargan, for now I opted for thoughtseize and kozilek, seeing how it goes, and then if something doesnt work i'll try to adjust. Grim lavamancer is awesome, as also are raging ravine, that's what i needed for the late game. Kird ape is also good though not exceptional and until now i've never considered putrid leech because i wanted to look to stronger cards this format is allowing and because i'm aldready taking a lot of damage from myself, so i'm not sure whether to find some spot for it. Mana base has still to be fixed better; if anyone wants to post his personal version he'll be welcome.

My last changes:

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
3 [ZEN] Arid Mesa
2 [DIS] Blood Crypt
1 [ZEN] Mountain (1a)
4 [GP] Stomping Ground
2 [ZEN] Swamp (4)
2 [ZEN] Forest (1a)
3 [WWK] Raging Ravine
1 [RAV] Overgrown Tomb
1 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
1 [SOM] Blackcleave Cliffs

// Creatures
4 [RAV] Dark Confidant
4 [ARB] Bloodbraid Elf
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
3 [9E] Kird Ape
2 [SHM] Kitchen Finks
3 [M12] Grim Lavamancer

// Spells
3 [ARB] Terminate
3 [ROE] Inquisition of Kozilek
4 [M11] Lightning Bolt
3 [LRW] Thoughtseize
3 [ARB] Maelstrom Pulse

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [LRW] Thoughtseize
SB: 1 [ARB] Maelstrom Pulse
SB: 3 [CFX] Volcanic Fallout
SB: 3 [TSP] Krosan Grip
SB: 4 [PLC] Extirpate
SB: 3 [MBS] Creeping Corrosion

EDIT: And Dark Confidant is simply AWESOME.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1