Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modern Splinter twin?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern
olliemydoggy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Modern Splinter twin? Reply with quote

// Lands
4 [M11] Island (1)
4 [US] Mountain (2)
4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
4 [10E] Shivan Reef
4 [EVE] Cascade Bluffs

// Creatures
4 [ALA] Fatestitcher
3 [CHK] Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
4 [LRW] Pestermite
4 [NPH] Deceiver Exarch

// Spells
2 [FD] Engineered Explosives
3 [M12] Sundial of the Infinite
4 [M11] Preordain
4 [M10] Ponder
4 [B] Lightning Bolt
4 [M10] Essence Scatter
4 [ROE] Splinter Twin
[-a-L-e-]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

facepalm.

a) there's no explanation of your (bad) choices. why fatesticher? why sundial of the infinite? why explosives with only two colors? why essence scatters over spell pierce or mana leak?

b) thee's no sb.

just fail.
sc4rs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[-a-L-e-] wrote:
facepalm.

a) there's no explanation of your (bad) choices. why fatesticher? why sundial of the infinite? why explosives with only two colors? why essence scatters over spell pierce or mana leak?

b) thee's no sb.

just fail.

Your first two questions should answer themselves - he put in Fatestitcher and Sundial so that you can combo off another way, making infinite Fatestitchers and then using Sundial to skip the sacrifice trigger.

Not that it's not terrible (it is!) but there's at least a tiny bit of method behind the madness.
olliemydoggy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Explosives was for goyf and other 2 drops
olliemydoggy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 4 and 0 with it so it's not terrible.
olliemydoggy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my updated version

// Lands
4 [M11] Island (1)
4 [US] Mountain (2)
4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
4 [10E] Shivan Reef
4 [EVE] Cascade Bluffs
// Creatures
4 [ALA] Fatestitcher
3 [CHK] Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
4 [LRW] Pestermite
4 [NPH] Deceiver Exarch
// Spells
2 [FD] Engineered Explosives
3 [M12] Sundial of the Infinite
4 [M11] Preordain
4 [M10] Ponder
4 [B] Lightning Bolt
4 [M10] Essence Scatter
4 [ROE] Splinter Twin
doc_morriar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so im not 100% sure about the format yet (im unaware of ban lists and such)
but i think you may be going for to many things at once..
kik jiki may just be what you need to win, however imo i would cut him for more control
i also dont understand your choice of counterspell, as you want to be countering your opp removal for your GAME WINNING combo
also, pestermite may be another combo piece but i cannot justify running 8 pieces.
as for your fatestitcher combo, i think its cool. keep it in there, you also never know when you need.

(assuming that senseis top is banned)
i think an ideal change would be
-2 kiki jiki
-4 essence scatter
-1 pestermite
-2 fatestitcher
-1 sundial of infinite

+4 mana leak
+3 spell pierce
+3 gitaxian probe (suprisingly good to know what your opp is doing in a deck like this.)
niknight

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever you post a decklist in this forum, there are a few rules that you must follow. You are required to post a sideboard and some form of evidence as to why we should take this deck seriously in Modern (matchup analyses, tournament reports are ok... going 4-0 on mwsplay is not).

Ollie: Your list is quite terrible. I'll point out a few obvious things.

1. Your land count is way too low. If you are playing Kiki, you are going to need at least 24 lands.

2. Where is Steam Vents?? It's the best U/R land in the format, and you are not running it.

3. Fatestitcher/Sundial combo is cute, but it turns a 2 card combo into a 3 card combo. Beware the danger of cool things! These should both be cut.

4. Why Essence Scatter? For that matter, why only 4 counters?

5. What is your plan against Zoo? Zoo will be the most popular deck in the format, by far, and they can easily hate out every part of your combo except for the Exarch.
judas_bcn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with everything niknight said. my view of what is needed:

-3 sundial of infinite
-4 fatestitcher
-1 ponder

3 pieces combo is not good, specially when you do have 4 cards that combo in any combination of 2+2. this gives you 8 slots that can be really useful both to defend yourself and to feed and search for combo pieces.

+4 steam vents
+2 gifts ungiven (4 cards to combo off, 4 different cards searched, you only need one of any in hand to make sure you get all your combo pieces)
+2 cryptic command (buys you time in zoo matchup and does almost everything you need in any situation. you can even cut one gifts and add one command, it is sooo good).

Essence Scatter is just underpowered. Mana leak or even remand could make it, as you just need to buy time on your first turns to get the combo off. Even dispel makes more sense to me.

Also, i think there are too many pieces to combo, so:

-1 Kiki-jiki
-1/2 Pestermite

Add 2/3 counterspells (i think should be 2 of dispel). With gifts ungiven the count on this cards can be lower.
Explosives can well be turned into some boomerang effect card, which gives you more versatility (get rid of nasty needles), and go as a SB plan against zoo.

As for SB changes:

get the full set of dispel. protection against blue and instant removal.
we're talking about time buying against zoo and other aggro, so good old wall of frost is worth be given a thought.
more counterspells. chose those you like the most.
explosives/ratchet bomb/pyroclasm/sleep effects. self-explanatory.
even white splash for cannonist to avoid other combos to go off and slow down aggro decks.

I apologize for the chaos in the post, but hope the idea is catched.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1