Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sen Triplets, Cast, Play, Battlefield?!

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
lucksick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Sen Triplets, Cast, Play, Battlefield?! Reply with quote

Right, well. I'm just assuming this as I go, but Sen Triplets text says:
"You may play cards from that player’s hand this turn."

There wasn't much a problem before the whole enters the battlefiled (HURR!) exile and the sort keyword change.

So... 'playing' was reworded to 'casting'
However, you used to be able to play your opponents lands.
Does that mean you are no longer able to do this? (due to errata)

*or* - my guess
There are now 3 different stages/things going on here.
1) you 'play' cards (which includes lands and casting spells)
2) 'played' cards that are not lands are cast (with some exceptions)
3) 'played' and 'cast' permanents enter the battlefield.

Thanks beforehand!
magicman85

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Playing a card this way works just like playing any other card, with one exception: You're playing the card from your opponent's hand rather than your own. To be specific: -- A card played this way follows the normal timing rules for its card type, as well as any other applicable restrictions such as "Cast [this card] only during combat." For example, you can't play a card from the targeted opponent's hand during your end step unless it's an instant or has flash. -- To cast a nonland card from your opponent's hand this way, you must pay its mana cost. -- You can play a land card from the targeted opponent's hand only if you haven't played a land yet that turn.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=180607
lucksick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magicman85 wrote:
Quote:
Playing a card this way works just like playing any other card, with one exception: You're playing the card from your opponent's hand rather than your own. To be specific: -- A card played this way follows the normal timing rules for its card type, as well as any other applicable restrictions such as "Cast [this card] only during combat." For example, you can't play a card from the targeted opponent's hand during your end step unless it's an instant or has flash. -- To cast a nonland card from your opponent's hand this way, you must pay its mana cost. -- You can play a land card from the targeted opponent's hand only if you haven't played a land yet that turn.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=180607

I knew it! Thanks.

it makes me wonder... would it be possible for lands to have triggered effects 'when played' ? o.o
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they could, but it would be functionally exactly the same as EtB triggered abilities, since lands don't use the stack. So, to avoid confusion, I doubt they will ever print any.
lucksick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardtrack wrote:
Yes, they could, but it would be functionally exactly the same as EtB triggered abilities, since lands don't use the stack. So, to avoid confusion, I doubt they will ever print any.

And in the case of nonlands, it'd just trigger as eldrazi/cascade works - so yes, I guess it's pointless.

Thanks~
Clariax
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardtrack wrote:

I cannot think of any lands with abilities that trigger on the land being played, but it is not functionally the same as an EtB trigger. There are abilities that trigger on playing a land but don't trigger on a land entering the battlefield, for example Fastbond.
magicman85

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landfall is kind of like that.

The landfall ability triggers whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control for any reason. It triggers whenever you play a land, as well as whenever a spell or ability (such as Rampant Growth) causes you to put a land onto the battlefield under your control. It will even trigger when a spell or ability causes another player to put a land onto the battlefield under your control (as can happen with Yavimaya Dryad's ability, for example).

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=190399
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1