Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greater Good Gifts

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern
kev41

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Greater Good Gifts Reply with quote

Hello, my favorite deck ever was the greater good gifts deck back from kamigawa ravnica t2. I love it and now with this format I inted to see how far can it get. This is the build I had been playing for years, but the Top is banned and Im not really sure what to use instead.

// Lands
3 Stirring Wildwood
1 Temple Garden
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Godless Shrine
1 Watery Grave
2 Marsh Flats
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Miren, the Moaning Well
3 Forest
3 Plains
2 Swamp
1 Island
1 Shizo, Death's Storehouse
1 Treetop Village

// Creatures
4 Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 Eternal Witness
2 Kokusho, the Evening Star
4 Yosei, the Morning Star
1 Sheoldred, Whispering One

// Spells
3 Gifts Ungiven
3 Sensei's Divining Top
3 Greater Good
3 Goryo's Vengeance
2 Farseek
4 Kodama's Reach
1 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Damnation
3 Wrath of God
1 Noxious Revival

// Sideboard
3 Kitchen Finks
4 Defense Grid
1 Kagemaro, First to Suffer
1 Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni
1 Meloku the Clouded Mirror
1 Hana Kami
1 Soulless Revival
1 Death Denied
1 Cranial Extraction
1 Wear Away

Extraction against combo decks
defense grid against blue control
finks against monored

My Greater Good Gifts Control Build, inspired in one of the most powerful decks from the Standard Format when Kamigawa was still legal, elevating five players to 1st place in their respective championships in 2005, placing 19 more into Top 8, and has topped off its career with Frank Karsten making an undefeated 6-0 run in the Standard portion of Worlds 2005, where it achieved 2nd place.

In essence, this is a Gifts Ungiven deck. However, not only does it possess the ability to tutor and recur huge threats against its opponent, but it also gains the chance to lock down their board or drain their life (via Yosei, the Morning Star or Kokusho, the Evening star respectively), and draw five cards (discarding three) upon the death of the threat (for the Greater Good). This resulting card draw often provides the deck with additional recursion and threats, making it very difficult for the opponent to match the card advantage and tempo loss provided by the sacrificed Spirit Dragons, time and time again.

Additionally, the deck differs from some more primitive builds of Gifts by running Wrath of God and Damnation for board-clearing power to stabilize against aggro, along with the Kagemaro, first to Suffer/Goryo's Vengeance/Attack and Sac trick.

As in many other builds of Gifts, Hana Kami and Death Denied have been relegated to the Sideboard to increase efficiency and avoid disruption in certain matchups. This means that in the first game the deck lacks the capacity to endlessly loop back its Creatures or Arcane, but since the deck's long game is already quite strong, it can afford to keep them on the sidelines except against decks with a slower pace and fewer ways to disrupt the loop.

Notes:
1. No need of a set of each key card since Gifts Ungiven fetch for those cards and Sensei's Divining Top fixes the draws.
2. Goryo's Vengeance removes the Legendary Creature at the end of turn only if it is still in the battlefield. If you control no Greater Good, then play around it: Miren, Maelstrom Pulse and the Legend Rule are intelligent ways to play around Goryo’s Vengeance disadvantage.
struikje

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't really read your post, but sensei's divining top is banned in modern
kev41

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, you should, since i stated that im looking for replacement....
kev41

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would add 4th Greater Good, 4th Gifts and 3rd Pulse.
Zits

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- 1 Wrath of God
+ 1 Day of Jugdement

for Gifts Ungiven and u neede fast instant removal vs aggro, discard vs controll and combo.
Magx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nvm
kev41

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, wrath was too slow against zoo. maybe Ill try spot removal like path to exile.

what suggestions do you have to battle against control effectively?

// Lands
3 Stirring Wildwood
1 Temple Garden
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Godless Shrine
1 Watery Grave
2 Marsh Flats
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Miren, the Moaning Well
3 Forest
3 Plains
2 Swamp
1 Island
1 Shizo, Death's Storehouse
1 Treetop Village

// Creatures
4 Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 Eternal Witness
2 Kokusho, the Evening Star
4 Yosei, the Morning Star

// Spells
4 Gifts Ungiven
3 Greater Good
3 Goryo's Vengeance
2 Farseek
4 Kodama's Reach
2 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Damnation
3 Wrath of God
1 Noxious Revival
3 Path to Exile

// Sideboard
SB: 2 Maelstrom Pulse
SB: 1 Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni
SB: 1 Meloku the Clouded Mirror
SB: 4 Defense Grid
SB: 4 Kitchen Finks
SB: 3 Leyline of Sanctity
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1