Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UG Infect-Standard's last hope

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Forthecats

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: UG Infect-Standard's last hope Reply with quote

I realize this is already an archtype that has been thought of and explored. However, I feel that it may need to be tested more in depth in this meta. In theory this deck should have a very good Control MU, as well as a reasonable aggro MU, and a simply nutty Combo MU. I'll now give you my list with an explanation of some of the card choices.

// Lands
4 Inkmoth Nexus
4 Misty Rainforest
2 Scalding Tarn
3 Verdant Catacombs
5 Forest
4 Island

// Creatures
4 Blighted Agent
4 Glistener Elf

// Spells
4 Vines of Vastwood
4 Giant Growth
4 Groundswell
4 Preordain
4 Mutagenic Growth
3 Contagion Clasp
4 Apostle's Blessing
3 Distortion Strike

// Sideboard
SB: 1 Contagion Clasp
SB: 4 Nature's Claim
SB: 4 Mental Misstep
SB: 3 Spellskite
SB: 3 Twisted Image

Contagion Clasp- This card is single handily the reason I've begun exploring this deck. It give's the deck a very good answer to Hawks. As well as improving the aggro MU and giving the deck some much needed Reach.

Apostle's Blessing- This card opens up all sorts of tricks and plays, I honestly enjoy the card in every MU except Valakut(Which is a great MU anyways).

Preordain- Im not completely sold on this card yet, maybe Ponder is better in this list, im not sure. Either way Its there to smooth out your draws.

Blighted Agent/Distortion Strike- I'll lump these together since they more or less have the same function. Distortion Strike is very good, however with 4 Blighted Agent and 4 Inkmoth I've felt like its at best +1/+0 two turns in a row at sorcery speed. Maybe I just need to test it more. If I were to remove Blighted Agent for Ichorclaw Myr or Necropede, I feel like Distortion Strike would become a lot better. However both of those Creatures seem a lot worse then Blighted Agent without Distortion Strike.

Sideboard- This needs some tuning, but right now Im happy with it.

All things considered I feel like this is a very real deck that isn't getting the respect or play testing it deserves. If you have any well thought out or tested suggestions I am open to them. Standard rotates soon and Im all out of Tournaments of relevance however after playing with this deck lately I HIGHLY regret not playing it in my last Tournament.
ChuckNorris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried playing this deck (a somewhat different version, but same concept) before M12 came out. It had it's moments for sure, but it had major problems beating decks that played a lot of creatures and a lot of cheap removal. This was at the height of the RDW craze after people realized that shrine of burning rage was a good card in mono red, so I quickly dropped it. Vampires was also a problematic matchup, and u/w wasn't as good of a matchup as it seemed like it should have been (this was pre-ban though).

Infect seems like it should be such an abuseable mechanic in constructed so I'm rooting for the deck, but it has serious drawbacks and to me hasn't proven itself to be as powerful as it appears to be on paper. Good luck in your testing though.
Lostwanderer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably run pellskite main board, mainly cos your lack of cratures is, to be honest, painful to see. Because any deck in the format will have removal mainboard.
Forthecats

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck, thanks for your thoughts. Lostwanderer...Did you even read the cards that we're in the deck? Or did you just see 8 Creatures and call it bad. Either way Troll moar.
Mizukage

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vines of vastwood should be in there somewhere.
Forthecats

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mizukage wrote:
vines of vastwood should be in there somewhere.

....What is the world coming to?
G0ND412

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you should have wrote in 72pts, bold, and underlined
cogdill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive played this deck at FNM a few times my main problem is if you dont draw a godlike hand in the beginning its hard as hell to win, i found my self mulling a lot to find a creature..
styx^

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/5 of the deck are creatures, so i don't see a problem finding 1, the problem is that you need to get that creature glued to the battlefield! And as for the Strikes.. i'd cut them since you have agents for that mainly and also should imo add some answer to counters... basicly what i'm trying to say is that you can't just concentrate on caw blade now, because since US nats if not even already before UB had some rise in popularity and with their many different removal spells and their 4 inquisitions... you know what i mean i guess...
Taoofss

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

95 percent of Caw-players are bad and do not know how to play the deck properly. So unless you are unlucky or in round 7-8 of a a major tournament where you might run into a good caw player, I wouldn't worry too much about the deck. There is a reason why Caw decks don't win ptqs and fnms while still putting up fantastic numbers at major events.
MannyFresh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is my version:
// Lands
7 [TSP] Forest (4)
7 [RAV] Island (1)
4 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
4 [MBS] Inkmoth Nexus

// Creatures
4 [SOM] Ichorclaw Myr
4 [NPH] Glistener Elf
4 [NPH] Blighted Agent

// Spells
4 [ZEN] Vines of Vastwood
2 [SOM] Steady Progress
4 [NPH] Corrupted Resolve
4 [M11] Preordain
4 [WWK] Groundswell
4 [NPH] Mutagenic Growth
4 [ROE] Distortion Strike

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [SOM] Contagion Clasp
SB: 4 [WWK] Nature's Claim
SB: 4 [SOM] Turn Aside
SB: 4 [NPH] Spellskite

Maybe I should swap distortion strike out for clasp. I was also thinking if you MD clasp, maybe put surgical extraction in the SB for caw (exile all hawks will be sweet )
Sligh_Br

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is Standard's last hope, than it is just doomed.

Seriously, this does not have a good control match up, does not have a decent aggro match up and it might have a good combo match up, but definitely nothing that a good sideboard can't deal with. I'm sorry, but to me infect is just intrinsically flawed and as tier 2 as tier 2 gets.
ThE0aUg0MaN

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so what is your answer to spellskite? I play spellskite and redirect ALL of your pumps to spellskite and then block your 1/1 infect...
Forthecats

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im pretty sure Twisted Image's we're in the side board for Spellskite. Then again this deck is horrible, and im not playing any of the cards I should be apparently. Magic-league forums have degraded so much. I will try the Adventuring Gear and Gitaxing Probe's, since that seems to be some of the only constructive thought out advise this has recieved.
pg8

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with MD spellskite. "You have few creatures" isn't a troll. With so few creatures, you need a good way to protect them, even a slow one like skite.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2