Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dragonshield's and Ultra Pro Sleeves

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic

Dragon Shields or Ultra Pro
Dragon Shields
68%
 68%  [ 20 ]
Ultra Pro
31%
 31%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 29

Synthetic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Dragonshield's and Ultra Pro Sleeves Reply with quote

So I know that most of us also play in real life. I do, and damn has it gotten expensive. Not like when I was younger. But of course being older means I have a bit more money so it washes out I guess. I love popping a booster and getting a damn Bazaar Trader though ........
Long story short, cards are too expensive not to protect, so I've been trying to find the best that's easily available.

Anyways, not sure if this is the place for this. But I finally got around to reviewing Dragon Shield sleeves. Took me long enough, but I am a busy dude.

My Blog and Review of the Dragon Shields:
http://magicthegatheringgrit.blogspot.com/
Houses the review and a casual player's thoughts on the new Manlands as well.

What are everyone's opinions on ultra pro's? I've used them and just don't feel like they are as good as Shields

Last edited by Synthetic on Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Synthetic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill have to look into some Player's Choice
I looked at KMC, but at 14 bucks plus shipping ... I was quickly turned off.
Y2Sky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy KMC, make sure you get the "matte" colors over the "super" series. Matte varieties are slightly thicker. Found this out the hard way when I had to change sleeves in the middle of a PTQ because the edges bent. I was using the "super silver" color. Whereas I had the Matte kind go for three tournies.

Despite all that, Dragon Shields are by and large my favorite. Some of the official Magic sleeves are good too. I've had a set of the mana symbol ones be good for about 5-6 FNMs. Most other Ultra Pros are terrible though.
gypsy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to use the super kmc variants all the time then after a few years of not using them i bought some and after 1 tournament i ripped so many that i didnt have 60 anymore.

now i always use green japanese ultra pro, they last longer then the other colours cause theyre the only ones that dont peel for some reason
Synthetic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 3.50 Packs of Ultra Shields are good for Drafts, and thats about it. They just dont hold up like the shields.
SJM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the worst sleeves I've ever owned:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370280492784&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=%3F*F%3F&GUID=f716f1381260a0aad482b922fef0c4e2&itemid=370280492784&ff4=263602_263622

After 4 rounds of play they were basically all destroyed and/or marked.
Synthetic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SJM wrote:
These are the worst sleeves I've ever owned:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370280492784&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=%3F*F%3F&GUID=f716f1381260a0aad482b922fef0c4e2&itemid=370280492784&ff4=263602_263622

After 4 rounds of play they were basically all destroyed and/or marked.

My wife has the Admonition Angel Ones made similarly. The corners are bending a bit, and I just dont like the feel of em. However, she loves em ...cuz they are "pretty"

Must be easy to be a woman
Wyr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaliya is a spammer, please someone ban him.
Diogenes5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Best Shields Reply with quote

The best sleeves are KMC Matte Black. The other colors are good too but the matte black is made of slightly better material and lasts a very long time. I give KMC Matte Black a 9.5 out of 10 and the other Mattes 9.25 out of 10.

KMC super sleeves are the same thing as Player's choice and are pretty high quality but tend to wear down and shuffle badly (similar to dragonshields). I give them an 8 out of 10.

Dragonshields are unevenly cut and also they have stopped making magic sleeves. All the sleeves in stock now are simply leftover inventory. They are nice sleeves when new and they are still top tier but they do wear down and shuffle less well and they tend to be unevenly made which might get you marked card warnings. I give Dragonshields an 8.5 out of 10.

Ultra Pros tend to be low quality. There are actually several kind. The 100 packs are very very low quality (unless they are the Japanese Ultra Pros which are very similar to dragonshields in terms of how slippery they are and how well they are made).

Ultra Pros that come in 100 packs I give a 6. Ultra Pros that you get everywhere in bundles of 50 I give a 6.5. Japanese Ultra Pros I give an 8.5 out of 10 for but you can only find them at some stores. The best ultra pro sleeves are the pro-matte ones. They are "tournament sleeves" and stand up pretty well. They are fairly evenly cut (unlike other ultra pros) and stand up well to wear and tear.

I give Pro Matte Ultra Pros a 8.75 out of 10.

Of course you pay for what you get for. The lower the quality the cheaper the price per sleeve.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2