Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help me make my deck into a competitive FNM deck!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks

Am I completely screwed??
Yes
69%
 69%  [ 9 ]
No
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 13

syspunk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been testing a mono-blue deck using the illusions. it does pretty well, especially after sbing. i believe there was someone else on these forums with the same idea and had posted a decklist for a potential illusion deck. check it out. you should be able to build it cheaply even using all the rares i do (lord, image, automaton, ratchet bomb, revoker). my suggestion: day of judgement has become a very popular card, and it is a real killer against this kind of deck. i run a few counters to deal with it. negate works very nicely.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my quest list, it's not going to break the meta any time soon, but it has a little bit of depth and the ability to steal wins out of nowhre like any quest deck.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
8 [M11] Plains (1)
4 [SOM] Seachrome Coast
4 [M11] Glacial Fortress

// Creatures
4 [SOM] Glint Hawk
4 [M11] Squadron Hawk
4 [ZEN] Kor Skyfisher
4 [MBS] Signal Pest
4 [M11] Ornithopter
4 [SOM] Memnite

// Spells
2 [SOM] Argentum Armor
4 [ZEN] Quest for the Holy Relic
2 [SOM] Mox Opal
4 [NPH] Dispatch
4 [ROE] See Beyond
4 [MPR] Ponder

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [NPH] Spellskite
SB: 2 [NPH] Hex Parasite
SB: 3 [ROE] Emerge Unscathed
SB: 2 [WWK] Kor Firewalker
SB: 4 [NPH] Act of Aggression
plowerfower
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool
ThE0aUg0MaN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just cant afford the Mox Opals. they are super expensive at my shop. I was thinking also of this Elf Deck http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=887543
I cant afford the vengevines, so i was going to replace them with obstinate baloth, unless you guys have any other suggestions.
MTGmanLA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 Glint Hawk
4 Hero of Bladehold
2 Kemba, Kha Regent
4 Memnite
4 Puresteel Paladin
4 Vault Skirge
Creatures [22]

2 Accorder's Shield
2 Argentum Armor
3 Dispatch
4 Flayer Husk
4 Mortarpod
Spells [15]

23 Plains
Lands [23]

You can fit your swords in their somewhere and a SB wont be hard to put together. Timely Reinforcements, Kor Firewalkers, Maybe Leyline of Sanctity, Oblivion Ring. Only one thats a rare I just mentioned is Leyline but they are rotating and are 2 -3 bucks...tops.

Avg price of that deck is $63.80
ThE0aUg0MaN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you think that deck will be MORE competitive than the Mono black vamps list i posted?
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh by the way, you can build an awesome All-in-fect deck for like 15 bucks - less if you can go without the rare lands.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [SOM] Copperline Gorge
10 [BRB] Forest (4)
4 [M11] Rootbound Crag
2 [WWK] Smoldering Spires

// Creatures
4 [SOM] Blight Mamba
4 [SOM] Ichorclaw Myr
4 [SOM] Necropede
4 [NPH] Glistener Elf

// Spells
4 [NPH] Mutagenic Growth
4 [MPR] Giant Growth
4 [WWK] Groundswell
4 [ROE] Prey's Vengeance
4 [ZEN] Vines of Vastwood
4 [SOM] Assault Strobe

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [SOM] Arc Trail
SB: 3 [SOM] Panic Spellbomb
SB: 4 [NPH] Mental Misstep
SB: 4 [MBS] Viridian Corrupter

If you've never played this deck before, the object is really simple. Stick a low cost infect creature, get it past any blockers if necessary, and pump it to 10 power. This easily wins on turn 2 or 3, but loses badly to anything which can kill your creatures before you untap. It also requires quite a bit of interaction, for example Vines of Vastwood in response to Lightning Bolt in response to Giant Growth, so it rewards you for being better than your opponent.
darkwizard42
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThE0aUg0MaN wrote:
darkwizard, I cannot afford bloodghast, its a $10 card at my local shop and I cant afford $40 for any given playset. Why would I want to splash red? The nonbasic lands are expensive and Lashwrithe's are only $1.50 at my shop. I figure I can build this list with my budget on friday, then maybe next week, improve on it. Do you have any suggestions on this mono black version? like I said, i cant afford bloodghast, so i used nighthawk instead and I just wanna know if this list I have will be more competitive than my other lists I originally posted..

It's cause Lashwrithe is just bad. Play the Vampire lord or something. Definitely put Act of Agression in the sideboard or even mainboard.
ThE0aUg0MaN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why do you think lashwrithe is bad? I love it. especially like turn four, play lashwrithe, pay 4 life to attach it to vampire nighthawk, boom, attack for six in the air lifelink, plus it gets better with every land drop and doesnt die to bolt, dismember, only dies to artifact hate.. i kinda like it in a competitive FNM deck, im not trying to compete in a PTQ or anything..
ThE0aUg0MaN

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soo, just got home from FNM, I got there about an hour early and couldnt decide what to build/play. I had my shop look up the price of an illusions deck that I had in mind, similar to the list that was in the most recent Building on a Budget article, but it ended up running about $75. I then decided not to build the infect list posted above after talking with some people and coming to the conclusion that Spellskite RUINS that list(and so many people at my local shop run Spellskites MD). It was between the mono B Vamps list above, or an Elves deck that I linked to earlier. I chose elves, because it is a more consistent deck and it was cheaper than Vamps($75). It turns out that they didnt have any Ezuri or Joraga Treespeaker in stock and those are absolutely necessary for that deck.

I was back to my GW Turbo Fog list that I still had from last week. After some power brewing I came up with a very successful list that was extremely consistent and has a great curve. This list was very good in my meta and if I didnt have to leave five minutes before round one, I would have probably won the first round with it. I came back before round 2 started, however, and started off 0-1 for the night.

Here is my final List:

//GW Turbo-Fog//

//Spells//
4x Fog
4x Tanglesap
3x Safe Passage
4x Rampant Growth
3x Journey to Nowhere
4x Oblivion Ring
4x Day of Judgement
3x Phyrexian Rebirth
2x Luminarch Ascension
4x Timely Reinforcements
3x Gideon Jura

//Land//
4x Kabira Crossroads
4x Graypelt Refuge
1x Mystifying Maze
7x Plains
6x Forest

//Sideboard//
3x Celestial Purge
4x Kor Firewalker
4x Naturalize
4x Torpor Orb

----------------------------------

I went 3-2 with this list tonight.

Round 1
Loss 0-2 - I had to leave right before round 1 and returned shortly before round 2.

Round 2
Win 2-0 - My opponent was playing some jank mono blue deck with some illusions, but not the whole package. Easy win.

Round 3
Loss 0-2 - I should have won this matchup. Game one, I made a stupid mistake. I kept a hand with one plains and two Rampant Growth. My opponent was playing this Mono Red goblins list, but he didnt have goblin grenade in it. He maindecked galvanic blast and played Koth in the list. Game two I didnt see any of my firewalkers and used my purge early. I did not know going into game two that he was running koth, or I would have saved the purge for him. he ended up getting koth's ultimate off before i could remove him.

Round 4
Win 2-1 - Opp was playing a strange version of UW control. Was a tough matchup, but ended up on top.

Round 5
Win 2-1 - Opp was playing mono black random jank. Had some pretty crazy tech in there, dont remember exactly. Was very surprised G1, but after SB, he didnt have a chance.

Overall 3-2 (should have gone 4-1 at least, if I were there for R1)

The only thing that I am planning on changing about this list is adding 4 Leylines to the SB for next week. Also, I plan on adding 1 more Luminarch Ascension. My local shop was sold out of those and the leylines. I am open to suggestions about my new list that I have. Anything constructive helps!!

Happy Brewing!
ThE0aUg0MaN

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys think about adding Lightmine Field into my SB for aggro decks such as, well anything really, like goblins, RDW, Vamps, Elves, etc etc. I mean, I was looking for white SB options in MWS and saw this and I really cant think of a reason NOT to play this in my 75..
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2