Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post Rotation Speculation: Top 4 decks???

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
AxiomBlurr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Post Rotation Speculation: Top 4 decks??? Reply with quote

Come the 30th of September, Standard will lose: Hawk, Valakut, Splinter, Bolt, Preordain, Roil, Tectonic, Inquisition, Jace Beleren and Guide.

Whilst some of them have been partly replaced by cards in M12 (Bolt for Incin, Preordain for Ponder for ex), Hawk, Valakut and Splinter leaving the format, I envisage will open up a large space for other decks (UB control for ex- although it loses much also, the card pool for UB is very deep) to return to the top of the tables.

Of course this is with the knowledge of only 5 or so Innistrad cards.

Please share your opinion as to which decks will be Top 4 post next month's rotation.

My Top 4:

1: UB control (already very deep-plus innistrad being grave based will bring even more depth)

2: UW control: (Gideon, Ponder, O-ring, Crusader, Dismember, timely reinforcements, leak plus day = strong already).

3: RDW: 4 cards:Grim Grim Grim Grim (who doesn't adore that card?)

4: THE ROCK: (will return!!--not sure about this one...just hoping!!)
Sligh_Br

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This point is just mute before seeing Innistrad. It is impossible to discuss a format you don't have full information about. Even if you can accurately access what's good on Scars Block + M12, Innistrad could still just have a much higher concentration of powerful cards and mess with all your predictions.
AxiomBlurr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sligh_Br wrote:
This point is just mute before seeing Innistrad. It is impossible to discuss a format you don't have full information about. Even if you can accurately access what's good on Scars Block + M12, Innistrad could still just have a much higher concentration of powerful cards and mess with all your predictions.

Ra ra and yeah yeah....nothing wrong with a bit of fun prediction....
J_R

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya dont mention the best decks in block....
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J_R wrote:
ya dont mention the best decks in block....

He did mention the 2nd best. The first and 3rd are artifact central and will not improve much over what they already have - in fact the best deck in block will be LOSING cards in standard from the M11 rotation(Steel Overseer).

With that said, the best decks in block always tend to become powerhouses in the next standard season. A speculation thread should at least consider them. So without further ado:

Tempered Steel: Losing Steel Overseer, but still has lots of great synergistic cards. Even the block version of the deck has so much depth it's ridiculous.

RDW: Block version was pretty decent. Loses some cards, but there should be more ready to step up.

Puresteel: This really needs some funky new interaction to really push it into the realm of standard playability. It's main claim to fame is a great matchup against tempered steel.
AxiomBlurr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely forgot about Tempered Steel--sooo true though...I hope to see some style of lord for it in Innistrad....
P_P4E

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uw control will be the best because the tools it uses to beat the other types of decks stick around.

consecrated sphinx, titans and wurmcoil to finish

timely reinforcements and day along with ratchet bomb to sweep

tumble magnet, dismember, o-ring as spot removal

leak, stoic and mental misstep as permission

venser, karn, gideon as planeswalkers.

Ponder for card selection

Divination, tezz gambit to draw cards.

ETC.
MassO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SplicerAnew deck will be strong I believe, only looses, 9 cards:

4 Preordain, 2 Jace Beleren, 3 Condemn

I was already going to replace the Beleren's and the Condemns in this deck, so really only need to replace Preordains so Merfolk Looter to the rescue.

+3 Master's call
+2 Venser
+4 Merfolk Looter (keeps the Colossus in the deck which was a problem a couple of times, and cantrips outragously.
MassO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also RockPod, GWB version is going to be outstanding. Doesn't need the Pod to win, only accelerates the deck.

Unlike previous Pod decks that run alot of mana accel, this deck runs, Birds, Solemn guy, and Viridian Emissary, Solemn Guy will probably be replaced when Innistad roles in but i like the rest of the deck here it is:

Lands
3 [M12] Buried Ruin
4 [SOM] Razorverge Thicket
4 [M12] Sunpetal Grove
5 [M12] Swamp (4)
2 [M12] Plains (1)
6 [M12] Forest (1)

// Creatures
1 [MBS] Thrun, the Last Troll
1 [M12] Sun Titan
3 [MBS] Phyrexian Rager
1 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine
2 [MBS] Hero of Bladehold
2 [M12] Solemn Simulacrum
1 [MBS] Massacre Wurm
4 [MBS] Viridian Emissary
3 [M12] Acidic Slime
2 [M12] Grave Titan
1 [SOM] Razor Hippogriff
4 [NPH] Blade Splicer
2 [M12] Archon of Justice
4 [M12] Birds of Paradise
1 [JU] Sutured Ghoul

// Spells
4 [NPH] Birthing Pod

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [M12] Sun Titan
SB: 1 [MBS] Mirran Crusader
SB: 1 [SOM] Skinrender
SB: 2 [MBS] Viridian Corrupter
SB: 3 [SOM] Glimmerpoint Stag
SB: 2 [MBS] Leonin Relic-Warder
SB: 2 [SOM] Sunblast Angel
SB: 3 [M12] Stonehorn Dignitary

SB needs help, I don't think Non creatures is the way to go, and theres not a concentration of colors in Green to add in the Green Suns....but, I could have 3 in SB with another Acid Spider and some other green creatures I dont know....needs help

It is very consistant, haven't run against U/W control yet but I would like to see the matchup post rotation
AxiomBlurr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P_P4E wrote:
uw control will be the best because the tools it uses to beat the other types of decks stick around.

consecrated sphinx, titans and wurmcoil to finish

timely reinforcements and day along with ratchet bomb to sweep

tumble magnet, dismember, o-ring as spot removal

leak, stoic and mental misstep as permission

venser, karn, gideon as planeswalkers.

Ponder for card selection

Divination, tezz gambit to draw cards.

ETC.

Completely agree about UW control,,,it will remain top or 2nd top. I do wish wizards would do something to completely shift the focus of UW decks...

I remember a while back when I saw a UW aggro deck with Brave the Elements in it and a host of efficient one drop creatures (figure of destiny etc) top a tournament or 2 - I was impressed and glad.

UW control decks are as old magic itself....I guess I have a love hate relationship with them....
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1