Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BWr Control (Axis Control) if I get to nats

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
AkYo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: BWr Control (Axis Control) if I get to nats Reply with quote

The story is I'm broke with an invite to nats so If I can get lucky by with getting enough money to go last second I need a plan of a list. I've been testing RDW on MTGO and I noticed that there is alot of bad matchups because everyone is prepared for it whether it is timely reinforcements main or kor firewalker. I like playing control so I perfer that plan of attack I was successful with a similar list to this at a PTQ when Jund was around so I assume that against an aggro field it will be successful and it still has game vs the field no one would be able to predict what the deck does and that is an advantage alone.

4 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Grim Lavamancer

4 Wall of Omens
2 Go for the Throat

3 Timely Reinforcements
2 Oblivion Ring
2 Dismember

2 Solemn Simulacrum
2 Day of Judgement

3 Sarkhan The Mad

1 Grave Titan
1 Inferno Titan
1 Wurmcoil Engine

Lands (25)
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
3 Lavaclaw Reaches
4 Arid Mesa
4 Marsh Flats
4 Plains
4 Swamp
2 Mountain

Sideboard:
4 Duress
4 Memoricide
3 Luminarch Ascension
2 Celestial Purge
2 Surgical Extraction
struikje

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you want to play control, but without countermagic I don't think that list is great. Sarkhan is just not a good card, you get few cards from him before he gets killed (as he can't defend himself), and he costs 5.

Also , you have very little answers to exarch-twin (just 4 mainboard). You might have a decent matchup against aggro, but you have no rdw-hate, I don't think a favorable matchup against valakut, and will get outcontrolled by any blue-something control.
lucksick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 Inquisition of Kozilek - GREAT choice
4 Lightning bolt - very underwhelming atm, I'd run more dismember before that.
4 Grim Lavamancer - sounds good... you could afford to cut 1 though, as you're playing control. (not sayign 4 is bad though)

4 Wall of Omens - haven't seen it in the meta much to be honest, although it does sound like a good option.

3 Timely Reinforcements - sb them if you must, but they're not that great mainboard
2 Oblivion Ring - check
2 Dismember - okay

2 Solemn Simulacrum - want four of these as well
2 Day of Judgement - iffy* will explain later on

3 Sarkhan The Mad - not good

1 Inferno Titan - not sold on him. I'd go with more grave/wurm, or keep it at 2 finishers.

The thing with DOJ is that I think CTM is better right now (even though DOJ sweeps titans) I'd consider playing a combination in mainboard

From what I can see... red kind of is just not worth it all along. white/black might be very viable though.
-although the manlands are very good :/

But that gives you a total of... 15 slots.
+2 solemn sim
+2 Consume the Meek
+4 everflowing chalice
+2 mimic vat (could help with the lack of manlands)
+1 sun titan
+2 gideon jura
+2 life's finale

Other things you can consider are:
*grim discovery
*phyrexian rager
*Squadron Hawk + equips?
*Kor Cartographer
*Elspeth Tirel?

*Sideboard*
4 Duress
4 Memoricide
3 Luminarch Ascension
2 Celestial Purge
2 Surgical Extraction

You have way too much extraction/duress/memoricide and no leylines! I'd go with something along these/ lines:

norn's annex 3 (great against twin)
leyline of sanctity 3 (valakut/etc)
baneslayer 4 (rdw, alternatively, grab the firewalkers or timely)
memoricide 3
2 duress

That's the best I can say for you - best of luck~
judas_bcn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my thoughts:
sarkhan with reinforcement is just "mad" XD (in a good sense), although a little bit unconsistant. also turning walls into dragons sounds great to me.
3 colors in this moment is quite difficult. if you just splash white for the ring, reinforcements and the walls there can be some things that replace them
walls are great card advantadge first turns, but phyrexian rager does the same and it is black. (chump blocks, or turns into dragon).
oblivion ring has no direct replacement, but some duress, hexmage or hex parasite can get rid of most of your orings objectives. (probably ur only concern should be wurmcoils, but dragons fly, don't they? just turn their big +6 machine into a +3 and attack with two dragons to 7 per turn).
day of judgement effects are needed, cleaning the board, but playing red you have pyroclasm and slagstorm for winnies (which is what you should mass remove) and black spot removal for fatties. you culd also consider contagion engine, although is slower, but it also proliferates sarkhan)
also SB is subpar for me: no ways to deal with exarchtwin, no ways to pod, and no valakut defense. manabarbs and your fatties should fix the last matchup, as well as some red artifact hate (manic vandals turning into dragons SB in for lavamancer) against pod and more spot removal for twin (Go for the throat can't be redirected to spellskites and kill all titans as well), even norn's annex can be played without white splash (although a single into the ril and you're done), and act of agression sound good against twin as well as against wurms and titans.
the idea sounds great but maybe metagame is not the right one for this kind of decks (MBC also looks great in paper but looses to many things).
good job, at least we see different ideas in here to what everyone is playing.
AkYo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i did come up with the money so I'm going to borrow UW that my friend won a PTQ with if this list doesn't doesnt prove to be dominate
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1