Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UW Splice-Anew

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
inkevitch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject: UW Splice-Anew Reply with quote

This has taken me to 4-1 the last two fnm's and has won me a Gideon and will beat the new players, most aggro decks and does well against control. But loses to valakut, rug splinterpod and other decks that can goldfish. So it is a cheap option for people to try but needs some work.

Looking for advice especially side board wise against those decks as it is fun to win most games but as it stands I will come up against someone at the end of the nights that has a tier one combo/gold fish deck that just has card quality i can't keep up with. almost all comments are welcome except for "this loses to act of aggression/treason"

The side board is messy and is winmore against goblins/rdw and doesn't change my game against valakut/splinter twin/pod.

Land base i am tossing up a few inkmoth nexus or tectonic edges as I haven't been colour screwed yet and I keep some marginal hands. There have been two games where I have had a stalled board and no artifacts but shape in hand.

Lands
4 sea chrome coast
4 glacial fortress
9 island
5 plains

Cretures
2 Blightsteel colussus
4 Blade splicer
4 Master splice
2 Winged splicer

Spells
4 mana leak
3 oblivion ring
3 condemn
4 preordain
3 ponder
3 Gitaxan probe
2 Jace beleran
4 Shape anew

SB
3 Timely reinforcements
3 Dispelk
2 Kore firewalker
2 Celestial purge
2 Day of judgement
2 Flash freeze
1 Into the roil

Match ups - rdw/ goblins/ vampires - haven't dropped a game presideboard or post yet (8-0) The fact they have to split their remval and if you ever combo they lose (except you have to be smart against vampires)

UB control - (2-0) only had one match and he had pretty average draw but it was pretty comfortable, once you have something on the board it is hard for them to get them all off. I think this is a positive match up.

Equipster - (2-0) close game, keep the combo in as it wins the game, but they can overpower with card advantage and quality once they have some swords

GB infect weenie -(2-1) was close matches but won, the side boards is mostly dead and you need W and a condemn in hand to survive pump spell suprise.

Valakut (2-1) managed to turn four colussus game one, but the next two games I was smashed by card quality. I just lucksacked the first game.

Have yet to face cawblade, tempered steel or rug twin (from aust nats) but I feel that cawblade will be close, tempered steel I have no idea (maybe need some artifact/enchantment hate SB) and rug twin will smash me. But in my meta there is no tempered steel at the shop.

sorry for not using the proper format for posting lists.
inkevitch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and only 30-40% of games I win get the colossus out, most I win by smashing face with mini golems. And I am dropping day of judgement and into the roil, 1 timely reinforcement at the very least.
syspunk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suggestions for sb... against birthing pod, flashfreeze and negate slow it down enough to beat it. as for valacrap decks... leyline of sanctity crushes it. havent seen a valakut deck yet that can deal with it. also works against black discard. any white deck i make mainboards 4 of them (if you dont run 4, why bother?).
moscowdemon
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syspunk:
Quote:
leyline of sanctity crushes it. havent seen a valakut deck yet that can deal with it
apparently whoever u see playing valakut who cant deal with that are not very smart at all. i know my valakut list runs 2 nature's claim just in the main to beat swords, and another in the board. ive even played around with adding acidic slime as a singleton to green sun for. that card isnt anywhere close to being as big a blowout as ur saying at all, provided valakut players actually know the deck and have been playing it since before primeval titan existed.
that said, it still IS a good card to play in the board simply because there are stupid valakut players who dont know anything, and its also worth playing as 4 of because hitting 2 is good vs. valakut, but dont expect it to allow u to take ur time, as a titan or avenger can end the game still.
lucksick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darksteel relic x1
Trinket mage x4

Another good way to get the combo going.

Some countermagic would be good (mainly in the form of spell pierce)

I agree with the leyline statement.
MassO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to praise this deck right now, Unlike alot of other posters I actually do test decks that I post about unless they obviously cannot compete.

I have went 8-0 so far and 2-0 each game. 1 Valakut, 2 Gobs, 1 Vamps and 3 homebrew jank, and a version of Cawblade UW, that didnt have a chance.

Had a Colossus out before turn 5 each game except for one when I had to wait to have mana leak mana before casting, playing Valakut, still had one out turn 6.

I like the excessive drawing with probe, ponder, preordain, I wind up holding belern, have never even played him, might add in 2 Day of Judgment, works wonders after you combo??? I dont know, Belern just is a dead card for me....on third turn either i am playing splicer or casting 2 draw cards, ponder/preordain. 4 turn is either, big splicer or Shape anew, 5th turn is a ob ring or draw card, with mana leak back up
sc4rs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MassO wrote:
I have to praise this deck right now, Unlike alot of other posters I actually do test decks that I post about unless they obviously cannot compete.

I have went 8-0 so far and 2-0 each game. 1 Valakut, 2 Gobs, 1 Vamps and 3 homebrew jank, and a version of Cawblade UW, that didnt have a chance.

Had a Colossus out before turn 5 each game except for one when I had to wait to have mana leak mana before casting, playing Valakut, still had one out turn 6.

I like the excessive drawing with probe, ponder, preordain, I wind up holding belern, have never even played him, might add in 2 Day of Judgment, works wonders after you combo??? I dont know, Belern just is a dead card for me....on third turn either i am playing splicer or casting 2 draw cards, ponder/preordain. 4 turn is either, big splicer or Shape anew, 5th turn is a ob ring or draw card, with mana leak back up

Maybe drop in Master's Call over the Jaces then? Or something like See Beyond in case you draw into both Colossi?
olliemydoggy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think venser is better than jace
Spyx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah venser seems solid you can either grind them out with blinking splicers or make your blightsteel unblockable ftw.
olliemydoggy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe turn to frog and phantasmal image have a place in the deck
MassO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

olliemydoggy wrote:
maybe turn to frog and phantasmal image have a place in the deck

Can you explain your logic?

I don't think I want to turn any of my creatures into a 1/1 frog and I don't think turning ONE of theirs into one will help to much either?

Phantasmal Image would be over kill to use on the Colossus, but would only help getting a token if I copied the Splicer to get a token, not actually copying the token. And would help against legends and other aggro decks.

So I can see how Phantasmal Image would help, but I would probably take out 2 of the Master Splicers for 2 of these, which would still leave me with 2 slots for the Jace's

Venser would be alright, I think he is alittle too costly manawise for the deck. The unblockable ability is the real only use to him, unless your in a battle against Cawblade, UW or UB decks then I would say use him, but i think SB is where he belongs.

Gideon also makes your creatures unblockable the next turn in theory and you only need one turn to do this so I would choose either 2 Gideon or 2 Venser to go sb....leaning to Venser though.

I like master's call, also gives chumpers for mid game to fine the Shape Anew. I am going to try the Master's call for the Jace's, might not work cus im cutting cantrips but we will see.

Also just 2-1'ed NightShift
G0ND412

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/1 frog the creature that blocks your golem then win
sc4rs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G0ND412 wrote:

When you Shape Anew the Golem, the Colossus doesn't come into play attacking, even if the Golem was attacking.

Unless you meant to say "the creature that blocks your Colossus," in which case the deck doesn't need cards that help you to win once you get a Colossus out. Getting the Colossus out should be good enough. I can't think of a deck that deals with Colossus by blocking it every turn.
MassO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sc4rs wrote:
G0ND412 wrote:

When you Shape Anew the Golem, the Colossus doesn't come into play attacking, even if the Golem was attacking.

Unless you meant to say "the creature that blocks your Colossus," in which case the deck doesn't need cards that help you to win once you get a Colossus out. Getting the Colossus out should be good enough. I can't think of a deck that deals with Colossus by blocking it every turn.

I think he had it right, Colossus is a Golem, so he would have have first strike and if your lucky enough to have a wing splicer in hand, you now have a 11/11 infect, trample, first strike, flyer....ftw.
sc4rs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MassO wrote:
sc4rs wrote:
G0ND412 wrote:

I think he had it right, Colossus is a Golem, so he would have have first strike and if your lucky enough to have a wing splicer in hand, you now have a 11/11 infect, trample, first strike, flyer....ftw.

And this explains why Turn to Frog is at all necessary in the deck why? (hint: it doesn't, it's not)
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2