Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Building Standard Deck M12

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
FiReBLT

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, your best bet is to play limited until rotation, by which time you'll hopefully have honed your skills and accumulated an extensive collection of uncommons and commons which will form the backbone of your post rotation deck. If you sell off your rares as you draft, provided you do pretty well, you can keep playing for relatively cheaply while building your collection and waiting for rotation to come around.
G0ND412

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think your example (tempered steel) might be one of the worst you could have picked since almost all the cards are from the SOM block

also, FIREBLT is totally right, and i would add that if you wait a little more before trying standard, you might not get screwed if the deck you bought became bad against the new decks that will appear after the rotation
P_P4E

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tempered steel is probably what I would buy, and you can move in on some sort of tezzeret deck as well.
ChrRome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely go with Tempered Steel. It is Tier 1 and almost entirely survives rotation. In Block Constructed it was considered the best deck in the format, so it will almost certainly be Tier 1 after rotation.
urafever

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tempered steel is actually probably the safest investment you can possibly make. Also, you can grind out some SOM block stuff too, because like 90% of your deck will be legal there.

Thing is, there's no way they will possibly print answers to artifacts that are better and more abundant than what we have in SOM block.

It's a solid deck...perhaps a bit unreliable, simplistic to pilot, and weak post board, but then again -- you're asking this deck to:

1) be competitive now

2) be competitive in the future

3) be a "good investment"....

there aren't going to be that many decks that fit the bill.
syspunk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been working with a deck design since M12 came out thats simple, relatively cheap to build (i assume) and ive found to be quite strong. while i designed my deck myself, i have since found out that im not the only one to take notice of the cards. it may or may not end up tier 1 but you will see alot of it played. start off your deck with 4x Lord of the Unreal, 4x Phantasmal Bear, 4x Phantasmal Dragon, $x Phantasmal image... go from there. i prefer a nice mix of counters/draw but you may want to be more agressive and go with a few more illusion creatures like adaptive atomaton, phyrexian metamorph, etc.
inkevitch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phyrexian metamorph kills most of those aforementioned creatures
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1