Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Start Guide - Feedback Wanted!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: How to Start Guide - Feedback Wanted! Reply with quote

For those that aren't aware, in addition to Coverage Director I'm also responsible for website content. I'm the guy who figures out what areas of the site need improving, and then I go do it Smile

About a year ago, I wrote a new How to Start guide (which you can access here). The initial feedback I got on it was that (apart from the strange characters which will be soon fixed) it was easy to access and readable to people who weren't even familiar with Magic.

Reviewing the success of the How to Start guide, there are still a number of people who ask how to get started on Magic-League, and a small number who say the guide is confusing even after reading it. What I want to know is how useful the community sees the guide in helping new players.

The main points I had in mind when designing the guide are:

* We can't provide links to any play application or explain to users how to install it as part of our agreement with Wizards of the Coast.

* Providing steps to walk a user through getting started on Magic-League was the most efficient way of getting users set up.

What do you think? Do you think it's effective? Is there anything you want to see changed or added?
Gerrardfo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find some people to provide accurate translations into other languages.
struikje

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As english is the language used in tournaments/channel, I don't know if it'll help much to translate the guide.

The guide itself is sufficient, I found it very helpfull.
blitzer2k7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the 5 most common languages for magic players, aside from english, would be Japanese, Spanish, German, French, and Italian. And even though its not the largest, Portuguese is also very popular.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest coming right out and saying "We can't provide links to any play application or explain to users how to install it as part of our agreement with Wizards of the Coast. But you can google 'Play Magic the Gathering online free'."

Additionally, a more descriptive name would help. Most people assume that "How to Play" means literally how to play the game, not how to find a match and refuse to read it. Most people do not read the topic upon joining the IRC room either, perhaps because it is overwhelming or because the useful info is buried in a pile of welcome blah blah server that doesn't work blah blah tip of the day blah blah.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazy people are going to be lazy. It is up to us, the non-ML staff, to always remember the sacred two urls of playing Magic online and give it out freely. Also, we need to make a new video walkthrough for MWS. Ffancrazy's isn't very good.
DeVoursneyNR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AppleofEris wrote:
Lazy people are going to be lazy. It is up to us, the non-ML staff, to always remember the sacred two urls of playing Magic online and give it out freely. Also, we need to make a new video walkthrough for MWS. Ffancrazy's isn't very good.

I have SMRecorder set up and I can make a video showing how to download MWS and can even show how to use it it Roo would like me to.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halo_Lover wrote:
AppleofEris wrote:

I have SMRecorder set up and I can make a video showing how to download MWS and can even show how to use it it Roo would like me to.

Roo can't tell you to, so go ahead and do it.

Show how to download, install (including winrar), make a deck, and play.
moscowdemon
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only problem, is the site cant reference these things anyways. from what i remember, we technically cant mention it (the sites or programs) in the main channel. also if a tutorial is made, it cannot reference magic-league, as that would cause problems most likely. ffancrazy's actually does work tho. i actually just used his for m12 cuz i messed up at one point. but we cant relate it to magic-league. im sure u guys can link to youtube when the players join in a PM, but the video cant link it to ml.
also ive given roo a really good point of including reading not only the how to start guide, but the other guides when signing up. such as... when u make a name, before u can join a tournament, u must go thru step by step screens. like the first would be the how to start guide when u sign up. then after u go thru that, u go thru the room rules and then the floor guides and the other important guides. thus the players are pretty much spoon fed the guides and after that point, them ignoring them will hurt them
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moscowdemon wrote:
the only problem, is the site cant reference these things anyways. from what i remember, we technically cant mention it (the sites or programs) in the main channel. also if a tutorial is made, it cannot reference magic-league, as that would cause problems most likely. ffancrazy's actually does work tho. i actually just used his for m12 cuz i messed up at one point. but we cant relate it to magic-league. im sure u guys can link to youtube when the players join in a PM, but the video cant link it to ml.
also ive given roo a really good point of including reading not only the how to start guide, but the other guides when signing up. such as... when u make a name, before u can join a tournament, u must go thru step by step screens. like the first would be the how to start guide when u sign up. then after u go thru that, u go thru the room rules and then the floor guides and the other important guides. thus the players are pretty much spoon fed the guides and after that point, them ignoring them will hurt them

No, WE can relate it to Magic-League since we aren't staff. Put up the video tutorial on youtube and we can tell people in the main channel where it is.
moscowdemon
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technically, WE are a part of Magic-League, regardless of being staff or not. u dont have to be on staff to get the site in trouble as a whole
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moscowdemon wrote:
technically, WE are a part of Magic-League, regardless of being staff or not. u dont have to be on staff to get the site in trouble as a whole

Wizards of the Coast cannot do anything about:

1.) Us making videos and posting them on youtube (other than invoking the Digital Millenium Copyright Act thingy and getting it removed)

2.) Us telling someone in channel where to download a program, where to download a masterbase for that program, and where to find a video walkthrough for how to use that program.

Also, considering the way the staff treats us (the whole debacle with Nikoleye's draft bot, the lack of minis <other than when DARKING is on> and our lack of freedom of speech in the forums), we are not really a part of Magic-League, other than the fact that we all pay their server bills.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's try to keep it constructive AoE.

He does make a good point though if Weedmonkey could answer it for us - just what are the limitations of "linking" the site and the application? Can non-staff do so at will? Can a link to the program be provided through other medium such as IRC? Any other ways to get around the red tape?
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xJudicatorx wrote:
Let's try to keep it constructive AoE.

He does make a good point though if Weedmonkey could answer it for us - just what are the limitations of "linking" the site and the application? Can non-staff do so at will? Can a link to the program be provided through other medium such as IRC? Any other ways to get around the red tape?

This is constructive, you guys just need to stop being wusses.

We could always make a non-magic-league-affiliated channel where we bluntly tell people where and how to use and download the relevant programs. If WotC tries to do anything, they would have to take it up with SolidIRC, but then it becomes a freedom of speech issue.

But as for my other ideas: plausible deniability. Do this without asking any of the ML staff's permission, that way, when it comes back to them, they can say they had no idea and then, WotC has to go to another source to shut it down and eventually, after this war of attrition, they go out of business and we can all finally get back to doing what we really want to do: playing Duel Masters.
moscowdemon
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

appleoferis, of course u can always make ur own channel devoted to a specific play application and how to set it up, etc. thats actually perfectly fine i believe. i think at one point they wanted to turn #apprentice into an area where people help others learn the applications.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2