Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Highlander (Not Commander(EDH))

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic-League Tournaments
Lostwanderer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Highlander (Not Commander(EDH)) Reply with quote

This is a tornament format played, almost religiously in my city. It's quite popular in The eastern side of Australia.
It's a singleton format (each card is restricted to one, besides basic lands). All card's are legal besides, Ante cards, physical challenge cards, Unhinged/Unglued Cards, and christmas cards. Basicly all cards that are legal in vintage. However, to make the format more intresting, there is a point list. You are allowed 7 points of the following cards in your entire deck, including sideboards.

4 points: Ancestral Recall, Black Lotus, Flash, Protean Hulk, Tinker;

3 points: Demonic Tutor, Imperial Seal, Mox Emerald, Mox Jet, Mox Pearl, Mox Ruby, Mox Sapphire, Sol Ring, Time Vault, Time Walk, Vampiric Tutor, Worldgorger Dragon, Yawgmoth's Will;

2 points: Balance, Channel, Crucible of Worlds, Gifts Ungiven, Mana Crypt, Memory Jar, Mind Twist, Mystical Tutor, Necropotence, Strip Mine, Survival of the Fittest, Tainted Pact, Time Spiral, Timetwister, Tolarian Academy, Wheel of Fortune;

1 point: Enlightened Tutor, Fastbond, Force of Will, Grim Tutor, Intuition, Lim-Dul's Vault, Library of Alexandria, Mana Drain, Mana Vault, Merchant Scroll, Mishra’s Workshop, Natural Order, Oath of Druids, Personal Tutor, Price of Progress, Recurring Nightmare, Skullclamp, Umezawa's Jitte, Yawgmoth’s Bargain.

I'd love to have a tornament of this format as it is a great deal of fun. If someone want's to host a tornament for this format. Cos it's lots of fun Very Happy
FiReBLT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play highlander a lot, and the points system is an excellent idea. I dislike seeing highlander decks full of P9 and the like, when highlander in itself is meant to be a more casual and fun format.
Dzy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this idea too, but I don't think this list would create a fun format, to be honest I think combo would own this format. How many cards should be in there? 60 or 100?
Lostwanderer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

60 card and 15 sideboard. The format is great mainly because there is never a combo deck that will ruin the format. There are very rarely decks wthat will entirley dominate the format. If we could get a host that'd be great. Any voulenteers?
FiReBLT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't Highlander decks 100 cards? Usually it's singleton that's 60 cards. The 100 card decks are a lot harder to combo with, and tend to lead to more variation in draws - especially with cards that are essentially reprints, say cancel, hinder and stoic rebuttal in the same deck, or grizzly bears, ironclaw bears, etc.
Lostwanderer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, but here in Australia we call it highlander.
Anyone want to host?
Lostwanderer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.phpbbplanet.com/metagames/viewtopic.php?t=16&start=0&mforum=metagames

Changes to point list
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic-League Tournaments All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1