Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which is best nowadays: Goblins or Kuldotha Red?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Kamahl95

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:17 am    Post subject: Which is best nowadays: Goblins or Kuldotha Red? Reply with quote

I was looking at my card collection and brewing up something for an FNM and i had a doubt about my choice of deck.

Which is better?

14 Mountain
4 Contested War Zone

4 Ornithopter
4 Memnite
4 Goblin Guide
4 Goblin Bushwacker
4 Signal Pest
4 Goblin Wardriver

4 Galvanic Blast
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Panic Spellbomb
4 Kuldotha Rebirth
2 Devastating Summons

or...

23 Mountain

4 Goblin Guide
4 Goblin Bushwacker
4 Goblin Wardriver
4 Goblin Chieftain
4 Goblin Ruinblaster
3 Spikeshot Elder
1 Hero of Oxid Ridge

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Burst Lightning
4 Searing Blaze
1 Staggershock

Please comment!
Miqo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

Both are budget decks, and of those alternatives I've been playing signal RDW with a lot of success in comparison to the deck's price.

Anyway there are some things you should adjust in the Signal deck.

- You're playing only 14 mountains which means you can't rely on ever being able to kick a Bushwhacker or cast a Wardriver. You should clearly be playing at least 16 sources of red, I play 17 to avoid manascrews. That amount with few cards that need RR or cost more than one mana is bareable. I guess you netdecked the list and removed Mox Opal with cheaper artifacts. =]

- Panic Spellbomb isn't that efficient because of not allowing a turn one Kuldotha Rebirth in the starting hand. The upside of it is that it'll replace itself with one more mana, but you're watering down the deck by clearly reducing its speed. I think you'd be better off playing a couple lands and better artifacts like Chimeric Mass instead of those. It'll get around Firewalker's pro red and boardsweepers, but enables a one-mana Kuldotha Rebirth. In my last FNM I actually won through double Firewalker without my Perilous Myrs sided in thanks to Chimeric Mass @ 3 and Signal Pest. Laughing
Kamahl95

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!

I thought about the Chimeric Mass as well, i'll see if i can get a hang of playing it.

As for Goblins, what are your opinions?
darkwizard42
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as M12 comes out, Goblins will become significantly stronger...
sc4rs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkwizard42 wrote:
As soon as M12 comes out, Goblins will become significantly stronger...

This. Once Goblin Grenade is legal, Goblins is going to be the deck to beat, in my opinion.
magicman85

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think shrine of burning rage is good for rdw now.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

magicman85 wrote:
I think shrine of burning rage is good for rdw now.

You would think it would be, but it's not.
Vecc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrine of Burning Rage is good now that most MD artifact hate is gone. Control is pretty much dead if it hits the board, and it isn't too bad vs. aggro either.

Spellskite still steamrolls the deck, tho'.
Kewpee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vecc wrote:
Shrine of Burning Rage is good now that most MD artifact hate is gone. Control is pretty much dead if it hits the board, and it isn't too bad vs. aggro either.

SB combust takes right care of spellskite or shatter as a matter of fact
Forthecats

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kewpee wrote:
Vecc wrote:

SB combust takes right care of spellskite or shatter as a matter of fact

Since when is Spellskite U/W? Shatter works, but Im pretty sure Manic Vandal is better. Honestly you play 4 Dismember side board, and it MVP's G2/3 against a lot of creatures, Spellskite being one of them.
spudfuss2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at my shop i quit playing kuldotha red as it was inconsistent and normally got beat by ratchet bomb. i started playing goblins similar list to yours minus bushwacker and ruinblaster and add more burn and 3 hero. I won an invite to nats and came in 2nd place in a gpt with the deck i feel that goblins are alot stronger.

Thoughts on decks
-fetch lands
-devastating summons in an 18 land deck with 4 of them colorless and might not be under your control. so you probably wont be able to cast it and wacker until too late.
- if you dont go crazy your kuldotha top decks are horrible. ornithopther memnite kuldotha and no artifact or summons and no wacker. just horrible.

goblins
- hero is much better than ruinblaster cast hero turn 4 win cast ruinblaster turn 4 and get an advantage your choice
GreenBear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just lost to a guy playing this deck on modo he was horrible . Twice he attacked into my leatherback baloth with guys, let them die and then dismembered my baloth?????
Vecc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forthecats wrote:
Since when is Spellskite U/W? Shatter works, but Im pretty sure Manic Vandal is better. Honestly you play 4 Dismember side board, and it MVP's G2/3 against a lot of creatures, Spellskite being one of them.

Yup, Manic Vandal is miles better. I had it MD pre-bannings. Worked good.
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManfredByron wrote:
I just lost to a guy playing this deck on modo he was horrible . Twice he attacked into my leatherback baloth with guys, let them die and then dismembered my baloth?????

He probrably swung into the Leatherbacks knowing the possibility that you could have Mutagenic Growth in hand saving it from the Dismember. And who are you to criticize him and his plays? You lost, must mean you are even more horrible.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm over 1800 modo:)
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2