Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Serra Ascendant

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
magicman85

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Serra Ascendant Reply with quote

Player 1 has 29 life and is attacking with a Serra Ascendant. Player 2 blocks the Serra Ascendant with a Stoneforge Mystic. What happens (does the Serra Ascendant do 1 damage and still live)?

Serra Ascendant

Lifelink
As long as you have 30 or more life, Serra Ascendant gets +5/+5 and has flying.

1/1

Stoneforge Mystic

When Stoneforge Mystic enters the battlefield, you may search your library for an Equipment card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
1W, Tap: You mat put an equipment card from your hand onto the battlefield.

1/2
moscowdemon
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens assuming you move to damage is:
Serra Ascendant deals 1 damage to Stoneforge Mystic at the same time as Mystic deals 1 damage to Serra. You gain a life from Serra's damage. This puts you to 30 life.
To answer your question about Serra living, it will. This is because you gain a life as the damage is dealt. State-based actions won't send Serra to the graveyard anymore as Serra is a 6/6. This is because Serra has a static effect that makes it a 6/6 flyer as soon as you make it to 30 life, without the need to reach state-based actions.
Damage won't kill a creature until state-based actions apply.
magicman85

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks moscow. I was just looking through the rules to find the answer and I think this is the main rule I didn't know.

Quote:
704.3. Whenever a player would get priority (see rule 116, “Timing and Priority”), the game checks for any of the listed conditions for state-based actions, then performs all applicable state-based actions simultaneously as a single event. If any state-based actions are performed as a result of a check, the check is repeated; otherwise all triggered abilities that are waiting to be put on the stack are put on the stack, then the check is repeated. Once no more state-based actions have been performed as the result of a check and no triggered abilities are waiting to be put on the stack, the appropriate player gets priority. This process also occurs during the cleanup step (see rule 514), except that if no state-based actions are performed as the result of the step’s first check and no triggered abilities are waiting to be put on the stack, then no player gets priority and the step ends.

704.5. The state-based actions are as follows:

704.5f If a creature has toughness 0 or less, it’s put into its owner’s graveyard. Regeneration can’t replace this event.
moscowdemon
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regret to tell you that right now I am just feeling too lazy to go into my normal judge mode and pull the rules that apply here. lol
But the rules applying would include; static abilities, state-based actions, and lifelink.
J_R

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AppleofEris wrote:
Um, I'm no judge, but I'm pretty sure Serra Ascendant dies.

thats why you are not a judge because it does not die. once state based effects are check, you will be at 30 life and serra ascendant will be a 6/6 with 1 damage on it
moscowdemon
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AppleofEris, I am a judge. Very Happy
and the reasoning behind it living was stated previously. Serra Ascendant has a static ability which gives it +5/+5 and flying when you have 30 or more life. Static abilities do not wait for state-based actions in order to change. This is also demonstrated by having a tarmogoyf that is a 2/3 because the graveyards have lands and sorceries that survives a lightning bolt. It isn't the best example, but its a showing of how static abilities work with damage and state-based actions.
Lifelink now works by you gaining the life as the damage is dealt, not after like it used to be. So the Serra deals 1 damage and you gain 1 life ALL AT ONCE. Your life is 30 and your Serra is a 6/6 because of this. And this all happens BEFORE state-based actions are even checked! Creatures don't die from damage until SBA are checked. Only destroy effects happen in progress. For example, if you have a 3/3 creature with a sylvok lifestaff on it and you cast Turn to Slag on the creature, the destroy effect happens during resolution, so the lifestaff is gone before the creature dies to taking damage.
This is a very long and confusing post I'm sure, but here are the rules I spoke of earlier that apply to the original question:
116.2B is the one for static abilities further explained.
702.13A states lifelink is a static ability.
If you continue reading on static abilities, you will see that static means always applying if true.
Hope this helps!

Editted to add in: Hopefully Clariax or another IRL L2 will pop by and correct me if I am wrong or even give a better description so I can learn from it.
moscowdemon
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AppleofEris, i hate to inform u that ur wrong again. lol
A spell doesn't go to the graveyard until it finishes resolving. So it does fit into the situation i had intended it for. Very Happy
Unless i was wrongly informed of course.
magicman85

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure about that Tarmogoyf situation?

Quote:
304.2. When an instant spell resolves, the actions stated in its rules text are followed. Then it’s put into its owner’s graveyard.

Wouldn't the Lightning Bolt do the 3 damage first and kill the Tarmogoyf and then the Lightning Bolt would go to the graveyard?
Clariax
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magicman85 wrote:

Wouldn't the Lightning Bolt do the 3 damage first and kill the Tarmogoyf and then the Lightning Bolt would go to the graveyard?

The Tarmogoyf cannot be destroyed by damage until state-based actions are checked. This doesn't happen until after Lightning Bolt is done resolving (and therefore is already in the graveyard).
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1