Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad pool, or not

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
Davis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Bad pool, or not Reply with quote

Bad pool or not, I built a horrible deck out of it.

I'm looking for opinions and coaching and the like, or just reassurance from someone confirming how bad I got it.

anyway here's the essential magic list
moscowdemon
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after a quick glance, u couldve splashed into green and taken out the bad white cards. u had a wellspring to even help u there and the rampant growth guy.
magicman85

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I would have went Green/Red. Used both Blisterstick Shaman's Leige of the Tangle, Veridian Emissary, Arc Trail, Glistner Elf, Glissas Scorn.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing I noticed is you are running far too few lands. 17 is the norm, 16 is a nicely curved deck, 15 is taking a big gamble on your mana base, 14 is.......might as well scoop.

Next you were running some very inefficient creatures solely because they were golems. The big fat golems from this block have a time and a place - in a deck full of removal that needs a big fat finisher late in the game. Ditto for the wall of tanglecord, which would have been better as a sideboard card that came in against specific decks.

Finally, you left some of your biggest bombs sitting beside you. Skinwing and Fangren Marauder are windmill slams. Mycosynth Wellspring is an auto-include. And if you knew to put one Blisterstick Shaman in, how come you didn't know to play the other?
thoughtxriot

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that's a bad pool at all. Blade Splicer, Hellkite Igniter, Molten-Tail Masticore and Spellskite are all sweet pulls. More I look at the pool, the more I like it....

But...I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it performed poorly...not because of the pool, but because you played 14 land! Your creatures are more expensive than not. You NEED 17 land + the Myr in that deck. Cut mediocrities like Loxodon Partisan, Loxodon Convert and Hexplate Golem for 3 additional lands, and that alone would make that deck a lot better.

I would also play the extra Blisterstick Shaman, Victorious Destruction, and Skinwing. I'd probably cut Copper Carapace, Blade-Tribe Berserkers and I guess Phyrexian Hulk (though you could leave that in at the expense of the Destruction).
Davis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, these are exactly the kind of responses I wanted!

First off, I didn't even know that many lands were needed, I've always played with around 14 or 15 for a limited deck, but maybe that's why I've always performed poorly.

I was thinking about going G/R, but instead of looking at the cards actual abilities, I got caught up in p/t and cmc.

Didn't even know that Blisterstick was a high pick, just and threw him in thinking he was jank! I'll know different now.
Terri

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would cut the white and just play red green. and add the 2nd blisterstick shaman and you could also think about adding the bloodshotrainee.with 2 equipments it could be ok or even 3 when you play the skinwing too. i think RG is the best way to build this pool. like already mentioned, 17 lands is must.
P_P4E

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your white is below average for sealed. You have these quick guys that are only going to get you in some damage then get engulfed by bigger men. Your green is actually insane and superior in every way to your white for sealed deck.

Fangren maurader is arguably the best card in your entire sealed pool. Corrupter/scorn/Liege/Council/Emissary > legionare/slicers/worship/other nearly unplayable white creatures.

never sideboard any blisterstick shaman with 7 mountains.

14 lands is never the correct amount. Never less than 16 in sealed no matter what.

Here is what I deem the correct build.

2 blisterstick shaman
1 hellkite
1 masticore
1 perilous myr
1 spellskite
1 wall of tangelcord
1 iron myr
1 lumengrid gargoyle
1 fangren maurader
1 liege of the tangel
1 corrupter
1 emissary
1 praetors council
2 glissa scorned
1 arc trail
1 gal blast
2 ichor wellspring
1 skinwing
1 piston sledge
1 mycosynth wellspring

17 lands (9 green 8 red).

Audible sideboard into the Red white beatdown deck if they're playing an incredibly slow deck possibly.
J_R

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you dont need to play stuff like phyrexian hulk and hexplate golem except if you are short on playables and add one of them as a last slot but you dont want both of them thats for sure, your white is pretty bad, the loxodon guys are pretty bad as is accorder paladin and forced worship is overrated, you should play bloodshot trainee with 2 ways to pump it with 2 wellsprings its enough to make it worth it.

I agree with most people that GR is the way to go with this pool, as Fangren Maurader is way better than any of the 6 drop artifacts you are playing as well as giving you some artifact destruction in the corrupter and glissas scorns
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1