Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Timmy Blight-Cheese Combo (Budget Deck)

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Scars of Mirrodin Block Constructed
Davis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Timmy Blight-Cheese Combo (Budget Deck) Reply with quote

Ladies and gentlemen, how are things going?

In an attempt to compete in MTGOs final warmark events, I threw together an original (to me) idea budget deck.

So far, it has performed pretty poorly, and I don't see alot of potential. I'm posting it here as a plea for help and insight from players who are more experienced. If it really doesn't have any potential, then this is just a general warning against building this deck in block.

Essential Magic decklist
Blight-Cheese Combo:

Lands
13 Island
5 Plains
4 Seachrome Coast

Creatures
2 Impaler Shrike
2 Blightsteel Colossus
4 Blade Splicer
4 Wing Splicer
2 Cryptoplasm
2 Neurok Commando

Other Spells
4 Master's Call
4 Turn Aside
4 Shape Anew
2 Stoic Rebuttal
3 Apostle's Blessing
2 Distant Memories
3 Psychic Barrier

Sideboard
4 Steel Sabotage
4 Blue Sun's Zenith
2 Stoic Rebuttal
2 Neurok Commando
3 Cathedral Membrane

First, it tries to mull for Shape Anew, since it is the only card that accomplishes the desired effect.

Turn 1 & 2 are uneventful, as the deck dose not have any staying power below 3 mana.

Turn 3 this deck can put down Blade Splicer or Master's Call for an artifact token.

Turn 4 Shape Anew is cast on said token to bring Blightsteel Colossus into play.

Turn 5 hopefully the board is set up to swing for the win.

Hard counters for this strategy are:
Any Counterspell type effects or bounce from Blue
CIP abilities targeted at the colossus and RFG from White
CIP abilities targeted at the tokens and Slagstorm from Red

A more secure strategy is to wait one turn for the mana to cast either Turn Aside or Apostle's Blessing. The latter is preferred against mono decks, since its effect lasts one whole turn.

Of course if this deck is facing either Black or Green, then the most solid strategy is the first mentioned, and the CIP abilities and Slagstorm from Red can be avoided by playing Master's Call on the opponent's turn.

Overall, this deck probably performs worse than a budget RDW or Infect deck, but unfortunately I don't really know the meta enough to do more than speculate.

Deck Cost: approx. $20 (MTGO)

Any ideas or pointers are welcome and encouraged.
Strid3r

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoomBr1nger wrote:
1 Darksteel Axe can help you vs non-exile or bounce removal.

GL.

better is 1 darksteel relic with 4 trinket mages
Davis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright I'm going to replace the 2 Impaler Shrikes and 2 Neurok Commandos for 4 Trinket Mages, and take out 1 Psychic Barrier for Darksteel Relic, and see how it works out.
Kewpee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres the version i would run, because your in block going the combo out asap route is pretty much limited to turn four if everything goes to plan, i run UB for creature removal to get my blight steel through and phyrexian crusader and skittles for an alt win con which is important in this deck.. the sb can switch the deck over to a less combo intensive deck and transmute a precursor golem into 3 big threats instead giving you a more aggressive board.

// Lands
4 Darkslick Shores
8 Island
6 Swamp
4 Inkmoth Nexus

// Creatures
2 Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon
4 Trinket Mage
2 Blightsteel Colossus
4 Phyrexian Crusader

// Spells
2 Strider Harness
4 Turn Aside
1 Darksteel Relic
4 Shape Anew
3 Stoic Rebuttal
3 Go for the Throat
3 Dismember
4 Despise
2 Horrifying Revelation

// Sideboard
SB: 3 Steel Sabotage
SB: 4 Geth's Verdict
SB: 2 Neurok Commando
SB: 2 Precursor Golem
SB: 1 Platinum Emperion
SB: 2 Surgical Extraction
SB: 1 Wurmcoil Engine
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Scars of Mirrodin Block Constructed All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1