Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spellskite + Acidic slime

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
Balaviaris

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Spellskite + Acidic slime Reply with quote

So a guy targets my land with acidic slime's ability, and when i tried to change target to my spellskite, he went like: I have chosen land, you cannot change target cause it's not legal. I asked a rules guru there and told me something like that: Upon casting, the slime's controller must choose between artifact/land/enchantment and then target a legal target... so I couldn't change to spellskite cause it wasn't a land... Anyone got the exact rule for this? Or were they just bullshitting me? Smile
(Accordingly, if someone deals 3 damage to a player with bolt, I cannot redirect to spellskite cause it's not a player? wtf???)
rdeg87

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
rules guru
lol

Sounds like you need yourself a new rules Guru. You are correct. The Spellskite is indeed a legal target for the ability of Acidic Slime and as such can be redirected to it. Same is true for Lightning Bolt
What could possibly be confusing your so called rules Guru is trying to use Spellskite to change the modes of a spell. For example if I caste Cryptic Command and chose to Counter a spell and draw a card. Spellskite cannot be used to change the modes of the spell to bounce Spellskite
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may not be correct. I'm gonna go check to see if Acid Slime is a modular ability and if modular abilities can be changed.

Edit: Modular wasn't the term that I meant....still researching this. Maybe it was modal? idk, just woke up.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, this is what I get from this:

Acidic Slime gives you 1 of 3 options for targetting, this isn't really a modal spell since it doesn't say "Choose one". Therefore, Spellskite is changing Acidic Slime's target from your land to an artifact, which is another legal target.

You are correct with your comparison that by the same logic, if someone targetted a player with lightning bolt, then they couldn't change it with Spellskite.
Strid3r

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AopleofEris meant: You are correct with your comparison that by the same logic, if someone targetted a player with lightning bolt, then they COULD change it with Spellskite.
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The target of Acidic Slime is 'artifact, enchantment, or land'.

Spellskite is a legal target for this ability and the type is not locked in when the target is originally chosen. So you can change the target from a land to Spellskite just fine.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hood wrote:
AopleofEris meant: You are correct with your comparison that by the same logic, if someone targetted a player with lightning bolt, then they COULD change it with Spellskite.

Actually you screwed that up. What I said was that by the same logic as his rules guru, a lightning bolt targetting a player could not be changed to a spellskite.

I was just merely saying that was a good comparison to what his guru said.
Balaviaris

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I got what i was hoping to see. Thanks all for your answers Smile.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1