Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Create a Card Round 44

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
blitzer2k7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rag_garn wrote:
blitzer2k7 wrote:
Squish 1R

Sorcery - Uncommon

Destroy all creatures with 1 power and 1 toughness.

Absorb 2 (Gain two life for each creature put into a graveyard this turn.)

As a note this effect (Absorb X) works the same way bloodthirst did in Rav block.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Magic:_The_Gathering_keywords#Absorb

already exists, on one card :
http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/card/Details.aspx?name=Lymph+Sliver
edited to use a keyword not already in use.
fr3dom07

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elvish Sorcerer 2G

Creature-Elf (Rare)

Kindforce 3 (When Elvish Sorcerer enters the battlefield you may search for 3 creatures that share a type with this creature. Reveal these cards and put them in your hand)

Other elf creatures you control get +1+1

"Our Bonds are too strong to break them....could it be the force of our elfkind?"

Elvish Sorcerer

1/3

The Kindforce ability reminds me the magical tribal world of lorwyn...which i loved so much when i started MTG
coe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5WWW

Blazing Seraph (Rare)

Creature - Angel

Flying

Empathic (Whenever another creature you control takes damage, this creature takes that much damage.)

Whenever Blazing Seraph takes damage, it deals that much damage to each opponent.

The light of a match burns quick and hot. The light of an angel burns for eternity.

6/5

Empathic is a trade-off for tons of different upsides: drawing cards, having opponents discard cards, gaining life, placing counters, removing counters, etc.

**EDIT: changed casting cost and ability to try to balance it out. i dont think its working though :{**

Last edited by coe on Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coe wrote:
3WWW

Blazing Seraph (Rare)

Creature - Angel

Flying

Empathic (Whenever another creature you control takes damage, this creature takes that much damage.)

Whenever Blazing Seraph takes damage, it deals twice that much damage to target player.

The light of a match burns quick and hot. The light of an angel burns for eternity.

6/5

Empathic is a trade-off for tons of different upsides: drawing cards, having opponents discard cards, gaining life, placing counters, removing counters, etc.

So I cast Lightning Bolt on my Seraph and I deal 6 damage to you...Char deals 8...Pyroclasm? Fagitaboutit!
ikazuchi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkwoods Bandit 1B
Creature - Elf Mercenary (Uncommon)

Forestwalk

Hire 2(At the beginning of your upkeep, tap it unless you pay its hire cost. Pay double its hire cost: Gain control of Darkwoods Bandit. Only any opponent may activate this ability.)

I always tried to turn every disaster into an opportunity.
3/2
testbuddy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:33 am    Post subject: And the winner is... Reply with quote

Congratulations nightshade, winner of Round 44 and the runners-up Rag_garn and Sprouts. While grading I've been torn between appreciating m12 terminology and observing that m12 releases after Innistrad, but I chose not to let it slow me down.

Jacois - Sloth Shaman
Definitely good for setting up graveyard manipulation and it makes me want to see how I'll be using it with the rest of the set. A good virtual vanilla, but not a poster-child of the mechanic.
5/10

CharlesT - Sylvan Garden
Trading land for material can be risky business. In this case there's no immediate gain, but considerable risk. I enjoy drawbacks, but this doesn't particularly make me want to see the mechanic on other cards.
3/10

Sprouts - Wandering Leotau
Linear design. Looking forward to seeing what else I can Replace. Good for sacrifice effects and it might be fuel for a card advantage engine.
8/10

pseudodespot - Loyal Guardian
Pretty straightforward. Now I'm expecting to see Mind Control and sacrifice effects in the block. Its usefulness is going to depend on those effects, and unfortunately it doesn't seem to have much more to say functionally.
6/10

Rag_garn - Bloodfang Assasins
Innistrad will probably have a vampire theme and converting enemies into minions has great flavor. On the other hand, Contagion Clasp and Hero of Bladehold have synergystic abilities that get players thinking about what they can do. Vampirism might get the job done, but it isn't attention-grabbing without support.
9/10

MassO - Monument of Innistrad
This card needs more work. As is, whenever you cast a creature spell you reanimate up to X creatures from your graveyard, where X is one plus the number of creatures you control. Without any creatures to cast it just sits there. I see an idea here, but I don't think it's ready.
2/10

AppleofEris - Clockwork Golem
Very interesting. Stick it in your sideboard and you have access to a little more material. I'd play it in limited but designing more cards with this ability would be tricky. Quantum draws a fine line between useful and broken.
7/10

niteshade - Cunning Commander
Attacking during your opponent's turn is an original idea. Instead of switching to blocking from attacking with gustcloak abilities you switch from blocking to attacking. With vigilance this means you can swing twice if you replace your blocking declaration. The best part is that vigilance is only one way to exploit Counterattack out of many.
10/10

KnowN - Ob Nixilis, Reborn
Putting aside that Planeswalkers don't play nicely with other card types, I think "Target creature becomes a planeswalker" is too much. Complexity creep does not need this much help, that's what Knowledge Pool was for (joking). It's a noble attempt but Magic isn't ready; Maybe on a creature with level-up, as opposed to Gideon.
2/10

Gademis - Rainha, Hero of the People
Quite broken, but the ability is unique. I think it needs to be carefully rewritten. Storm based on permanents instead of spells might be easier to track, but also easier to abuse.
4/10

DuCK - Spring Back
A Precursor Golem mechanic! Not entirely original, but good stuff. The disadvantage to the card is its primary effect. Unsummon for UU is alright if the card has an alternate use, but Evacuation for 8 is asking a bit much.
6/10

blitzer2k7 - Squish
Lifegain on red is a bit odd, as is creature destruction instead of damage. I'd expect this to be black. Against Memnite.dec this is clearly a Pyroclasm, but what will you gain by putting Consume on other cards? Since it's limited to creature destruction, the effect seems narrow.
5/10

aqualad33 - Abyssal Disk
Nevinyrral's Disk wasn't enough? I'm left wondering how cards are going to reach exile since it can't do that on its own. Void might be better suited as an ability word since it's simply an activation condition.
3/10

JayceMoves - Fork in the Road
Intent feels like a mechanic from Time Spiral Block because of the keyword-number layout. It's original but a bit too complicated. Copy effects are unique card to card and although Intent doesn't work the same way as Clone, they both have to gather greatly varied information from an object before taking effect.
4/10

fr3dom07 - Elvish Sorcerer
Looking at this from a player's perspective it's pretty strong. But from a design standpoint I don't think the card should see print. Talk about overpowering Squadron Hawk. Green Sun's Zenith anyone?
3/10

coe - Blazing Seraph
So when two empathic creatures get together they explode? Spitemare with a built-in Bolt magnet is an effective way to protect your creatures from burn, but I'm not certain they need that protection. Sword of War and Peace works for and against this matchup, but remember that red doesn't have Stoneforge Mystic.
6/10

ikazuchi - Darkwoods Bandit
Conditional evasion in exchange for an indecisive elf. A drawback with a name is still a drawback. Without justification for that cost, most people don't want to see it.
5/10
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, Clockwork Golem was definitely designed with limited in mind!
Sprouts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the 4 competitions I joined I ended runner up in all of them. If winner doesnt create the next one till tomorrow can I do it?
testbuddy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sprouts wrote:
Of the 4 competitions I joined I ended runner up in all of them. If winner doesnt create the next one till tomorrow can I do it?

Be my guest, I originally planned on grading today so that tomorrow would start Round 45!
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the void mechanic was meant to be in a block that cared more about cards being in exile (which is an area where I could see the game developing more, but please wizards never make cards that bring other cards back from exile). I figured hey if it's a dark nightmarish set, what if the deepest darkest place in magic, exile, played a role.

as for your comment, nevinerals disk really isn't that good. it's slow, ungodly slow, especially in this format. In fact I'm more worried that this card is to weak more then anything. I considered just taking out the cip tapped part so that it could do something, or at least add that it takes out walkers too.

Besides, who doesn't like it when design makes cards that give a nod to the olden days Smile I know I sure do.
niteshade

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I didnt start the next round. I ended up out of town for work. I have been telling friends for years now the only thing I havent done in magic is attack on my opponents turn. Have had this thought for awhile.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2