Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What new set should i buy for vintage/legacy play

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
magicman85

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: What new set should i buy for vintage/legacy play Reply with quote

Im a pretty casual player that plays vintage and legacy so i dont have to keep up with all the t2 and extended cards. What current sets besides worldwake (because my shop is sold out) do you guys think has the most usable cards. In particular looking for cards with low mana cost.
niknight

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen Menendian posted a list of Legacy staples last year. You can find it here.
Spyx

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying packs is a terrible way to build a legacy/vintage collection.
Chefy
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to Legacy, singles is the only way to go. Very rarely will a a deck have more than a single card in a given set in a given deck. Like NPH has some good Legacy stuff (Gitaxian Probe, Mental Misstep, Batterskull), but you'd be better off just buying what you needed than trying to crack packs.

Now if you are saying that you play casually but use Legacy legal decks, then that changes things. I would say that Rise of the Eldrazis has some strength because of the fatties available. Zendikar is find due to the fetch lands and some of the timmier mythics. Honestly, though, I'd say there is no set better than M11 for this. Between solid cards like Preordain, Mana Leak, and Squadron Hawk, you'd have access to some of the stronger commons in T2 while also having a chance to open some of the solid staples of casual play like BSA, Titans, and Day of Judgment as well as Planeswalkers. The other option is to just buy some duel decks or the old Archenemy/Planechase decks. I guess you could also just save your money for the 5 commander decks being released this summer.
NahHolmes

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy singles or buy Zendikar and hope for a fetchland.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play booster draft and sealed, selling off the type 2 singles that will be useless in half a year and keeping the legacy staples for your collection.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1